Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting

Fixes most of my problems, but I am still getting the disconnects, though not as often.

How many areas are experiencing this?

----------------

edit:  changed my Lease Time to 0

will report back to see if this works better

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR, I did say that the gateways are garbage. I am not arguing that fact. I am not arguing FOR Rogers, its their jobs to fix this one way or another.

The point I am making, is that the gateway itself is not the core of the problem.

That users can use them in many areas, weither on bridges or not, proves that they CAN work with no disconnects.
This says that the the problem is not solely the gateways fault.

That d2s don't have the issue, says its likely a d3 issue in these areas. Unfortunately without them having stand alone modems to test, can't confirm it, but they likely would have the exact same issues as the gateways would in those effected areas.

The messages that these users have been reporting from the routers, is also documented on other ISPs in the us as well, on stand alone d3 modems! This leads me (as well as my other it workers I have picked their brains on, on the topic), to beleive it is more network related issue, that only the d3s are picking up.

Until this gets resolved, and we find out WHAT is causing it, we unfortunately will never know

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting[

I haven't been a Rogers customer in over a year but now I've got it in the house I'm currently living. It's high speed cable with 120 gb's I think.  Whatever it is I'm sure it's going to end up costing $200 a month until I can find something better.

I got the highspeed about 3 weeks ago and everything was ok. Used Netflix a lot, downloaded torrents, streamed video. All of a sudden a few days ago the internet turned to crap. Now it feels like I have a virus (I don't). Everything is slow and streaming video cuts out a lot and I'm also getting disconnects. If it was just a day or two I wouldn't be suprised but it's been a few days.

I just want to know if this is some kind of throttling issue or just unreliable internet.  Not that it really matters but I suppose the latter would anger me less. I've never really researched throttling all that much so I'm not sure if that just affects torrent programs or if it messes up your whole internet experience. I can't even watch a youtube video without it freezing several times.

Does Rogers do this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well it could be either.

By the end of the year, rogers is suposed to have remmoved all the throttling stuff.. but its still on in many areas.

Doing P2P stuff, like torrenting, CAN tripp the throttling.  Which could then effect just about everything on the connection that requires a consistant steady stream of data.

I've Been Here Awhile

Alright thanks.  I'll be cancelling this week.   I do not understand what Rogers is doing or why people continue to put up with it in this country.  They try to hype bandwidth as some sort of natural resource here and for some reason Canadians feel guilty enough to buy into it.  They've allowed the big Telecoms to convince them a baby seal is dying every time you go over your pathetic bandwidth limit (which is already overly expensive) and you have to make amends with your wallet. Meanwhile other countries around the world we would consider to be far behind us technologically are laughing at us.  Smiley Frustrated

I'm Here A Lot

Lease time has worked a little bit, usually get only a few disconnects now.

Still very annoying, might try that google DNS and see what that does.  Really annoyed that so many people appear to be having this problem and nothing is being done about it.  Oh well, I have a 1 year contract for this modem, might as well do the best I can with it.

I'm Here A Lot

To  artsfols

artsfols wrote:

I am in Kitchener-Waterloo also.  Here's something to try.  Leave one of your  wireless devices streaming music - say music.cbc.ca or something like that. If your computer seems to hang, but the streaming is unaffected it may be a DNS issue, not a connection issue. 

The fact that you are staying connected to the Wifi indicates to me that we're having the same problem.  This has been going on for a few weeks here.

Well, I don't even use Rogers DNS though.

I use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

I'd set google dns address for my smc modem-router's manuall DNS setting as soon as the modem arrived first time.

Will it still be affected by rogers DNS trouble?

I'm Here A Lot

OK, Let me write it down more detail.

All the LED signals on modem are fine, and it looks like hardware is working fine.
Web Browser's caches and cookies are all cleared.

It has been tested on both Wired and Wireless connection.

Network Icon on the Windows Taskbar is showing me that I am connected OK.

When the connection is normal.
Able to browse the web. Internet based Applications work fine too.

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
2 37 ms 30 ms 29 ms 7.8.0.1
3 106 ms 32 ms 31 ms 67.231.220.29
4 37 ms * 65 ms 64.71.241.97
5 49 ms 45 ms 47 ms 69.63.248.198
6 49 ms 47 ms 47 ms 74.125.49.229
7 84 ms 75 ms 54 ms 209.85.255.68
8 57 ms 53 ms 65 ms 209.85.251.37
9 87 ms 54 ms 60 ms 72.14.239.93
10 79 ms 70 ms 54 ms 72.14.238.18
11 * 102 ms 97 ms 216.239.49.145
12 57 ms 54 ms 53 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
Trace complete.

When the connection is NOT normal.

All the LED signals of the modem are still fine.
Impossible to browse the web, ONLY torrent works at this point.

Connecting to "http://192.168.0.1"(Default Address for SMC Modem) is NO Problem, but I can't log in.

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 * * 192.168.0.1 reports: Destination net unreachable.
Trace complete.

Things that I do not understand.

1. I have totally no idea WHY the torrent is working fine, when everything is not.
2. After I turn the Ethernet Connection off and turn it back on, everythings start working ok for while.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You sure your torrent app isn't set up for too many connections?

Back in the day when I bothered with torrents, my wrt54gs would puke when I went a little nutty with the torrent settings.

Behaved just like you described.

I'm Here A Lot

@mycophile wrote:

You sure your torrent app isn't set up for too many connections?

Back in the day when I bothered with torrents, my wrt54gs would puke when I went a little nutty with the torrent settings.

Behaved just like you described.

No it is nothing to to with the number of the torrent connections.

I ran torrent application after the internet screwed, but it still worked while others are not working.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 in conversation