Rogers Hardware Upgrades Will Require $80 Plans Starting June 17

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jon3084
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Hardware Upgrades Will Require $80 Plans Starting June 17

So the information in all these links are incorrect?

abc12435325
I've Been Around

Hi - I was wondering what you said when you called Rogers to get them to allow you to keep your plan? I'm having this problem with my hardware upgrade to the iPhone 6.

Thanks.

xkingslayer1567
I've Been Around

There is no way to keep your plan, minimum 80$ msf to get the iphone

saynoto
I've Been Around

I called today to inquire about upgrading to the latest iPhone or Android handset. The act of upgrading won't be a problem as long as i pay out the remaining balance of my Flextab, $25. Not a big deal. There is a huge problem though. If i upgrade, Rogers will no longer honor my current phone plan. Rogers wants another $25 per month. Over the 2 year contract period, that's $600, over what i'd pay on my current monthly plan. There is no upgrade offered for being a loyal customer for many years and paying an already high monthly bill. This is called financing for a phone as a new handset can be purchased for close to that price. Why don't you just say, "our new policy states there will be no upgrades offered anymore for our customers but we're willing to offer financing options for you."

Horrible provider

shauneg
I Plan to Stick Around

So I go to the Rogers store today trying to get the HTC One M8 because my galaxy s3's power switch decided it didn't want to act nicely anymore and figured randomly rebooting was more fun. So we were almost done when the agent said my existing 6gb plan I have and that I would have to switch plans. The new plan would cost $110.00/month and go from 6gb to 4gb data amongst other changes I was too furious to remember. I couldn't believe this especially since I've been with Rogers for about 15 years plus. I'd like to stay but they're making it difficult especially since my father-in-law is with Wind, and pays $40/month for what my new plan would consist of. Of course Wind's service area is not as large as Rogers but the $40 plan would easily cover any roaming charges. There must be a logical explanation for this so I'm all ears if anyone can explain. Needless to say I walked out empty-handed. Thank you.

micks00
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been fighting with them for a week about the same thing and the best I have been offered is $99.99 +fees and taxs for a 6GB plan.  It still works out for me to buy my new iPhone 6 outright and keep my plan and I'll still save $331.76 over the 2 year term. I have showed them the math and they didn't care, they are sticking hard to the new plan for upgrades deal.

waynerobbins
I've Been Here Awhile

For those of you who have been calculating whether cheaper to go the subsized plan route or the outright purchase route, would it be possible to see how you are calculating your savings - as my calculations don't seem to be having the magnitude of many reported here.  While I realize that what you pay now has something to do with the comparison, I still would like to confirm how people are doing their decision logic.

Also, with the change in plans, making things the same (such as the addition of things like VVM vs. the iPhone value pack), how is that costed?

Thanks.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would not go on any additions, etc.. just base plan cost.

Compare what you have now plan wise (lets say $60)..

With what the NEWEST plan is comparative wise, for the SAME features.  (lets say its now $85).

Over 2 years.... $25 x 24 = $600

The hardware credit, is often $500ish.. So TECHNICALLY you are paying $100 MORE for the phone, vs buying it outright.
The difference is, its just spread out.

But really comes down to the plan.  Some people are on grandfathered special plans.. say with 6g data for $60... going to a NEW 6g plan could easily be $120.

micks00
I Plan to Stick Around

This is the math for me getting an iPhone 6 16GB

Buy outright (per month with fees and taxs) x 24= 2134.32 + 847.49(phone from Apple with tax) = 2981.81

Switch my plan (per month with fees and taxs) x 24 = 2920.56 + 403.01(phone + Flextab from Rogers with tax) = 3313.57

$3313.57 -$ 2981.81 = save $331.76 over 2 years to buy from Apple, Thanks Rogers!

BSJxKingslayer
I Plan to Stick Around

Buying a phone outright willl always be more cost effective in the long run, the problem is, most people don't have 800$ to drop on a new phone.

And to everyone complaining about having to change their plan, you were offered promotional plan pricing based on three year pricing of phones, so yes the plans are more expensive now, but all the plans have unlimited talking across canada so the only overages you can get on bills now is data and roaming.