Rogers HUP in Future Shop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers HUP in Future Shop

Hi, this is probably not the right place for this, but ill give it a shot.

Basically my contract finished and i renwed it, picked up my droid RAZR ~2 weeks ago in FS.  At the time I was told i "only" had to pay around 29dollars, the rest will be billed online.  I was playing with my new phone do didnt think twice about it and left.

Now my bill came and its the same 149+35.  So my question is.. what was the 29 dollars for?  the FS salesman was really hard selling his crappy phone insurance plan like mad, so i get this feeling he ripped me off.  For you guys out there, did u had to pay a single dollar when picking up the phone? 

Unfortuntely i mailed in the FS receipt for the mail in rebate, so i have no idea what teh description is for that charge.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers HUP in Future Shop

The prices at FS & BB are ONLY for NEW ACTIVATIONS. You are going to pay the prices Rogers has. This is something a lot of people do not know that.

You see you said this "At the time I was told i "only" had to pay around 29dollars, the rest will be billed online. "

You said that he said " The rest will be billed online" That shows you that you are GETTING charged more.. I am sure you can understand that as well right? Its simple. I know people that work for FS & i can tell you that YES they do go hard on the insurance plan like mad but they also explain that you are going to pay the Rogers amount like he did.

Rogers will not do anything NOR lower the bill. You need to send in the $50 rebate coupon & get it off the bill.

You will get charged 100+35 =$135 for the phone IF you send in the mail in rebate OR do it online. If you do not do the $50 rebate you will get charge the amount you see on the bill. This is something most people that work at Future shop & all never tel you to do.

If you have NOT gone over the 30 minute voice & 15 days go back & talk to them. They wont do anything but you can just give the phone back. Rogers will charge you the same price if you will do it over at them tho. So really you have no choice but to pay.

As for you saying that he ripped you off then you need to contact Future shop & speak to them. I can understand where you are coming from as well because a long time ago i was in the same spot but FUTURE SHOP & BB ( BESTBUY) ONLY give the phones out free & lower price FOR NEW ACTIVATIONS.  If your contract is up OR you are going to do a upgrade you are going to pay the same price Rogers is offering. Read the fine print & it will say it there as well. This is why i never go to Future shop or Best buy to do my upgrade because they never lower the prices. This is what carriers did so they can make money.

If you feel like you got ripped off then contact the Manager at Future shop you dealt with & see what they say. I hope it gets resolved for the best.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The prices at FS & BB are ONLY for NEW ACTIVATIONS. You are going to pay the prices Rogers has. This is something a lot of people do not know that.

You see you said this "At the time I was told i "only" had to pay around 29dollars, the rest will be billed online. "

You said that he said " The rest will be billed online" That shows you that you are GETTING charged more.. I am sure you can understand that as well right? Its simple. I know people that work for FS & i can tell you that YES they do go hard on the insurance plan like mad but they also explain that you are going to pay the Rogers amount like he did.

Rogers will not do anything NOR lower the bill. You need to send in the $50 rebate coupon & get it off the bill.

You will get charged 100+35 =$135 for the phone IF you send in the mail in rebate OR do it online. If you do not do the $50 rebate you will get charge the amount you see on the bill. This is something most people that work at Future shop & all never tel you to do.

If you have NOT gone over the 30 minute voice & 15 days go back & talk to them. They wont do anything but you can just give the phone back. Rogers will charge you the same price if you will do it over at them tho. So really you have no choice but to pay.

As for you saying that he ripped you off then you need to contact Future shop & speak to them. I can understand where you are coming from as well because a long time ago i was in the same spot but FUTURE SHOP & BB ( BESTBUY) ONLY give the phones out free & lower price FOR NEW ACTIVATIONS.  If your contract is up OR you are going to do a upgrade you are going to pay the same price Rogers is offering. Read the fine print & it will say it there as well. This is why i never go to Future shop or Best buy to do my upgrade because they never lower the prices. This is what carriers did so they can make money.

If you feel like you got ripped off then contact the Manager at Future shop you dealt with & see what they say. I hope it gets resolved for the best.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix You didn't answer his question. He's asking what the $29 in store charge was for.  The HUP admin fee is $35 and he mentions that it was billed on his monthly bill along with the hardware cost.  He's asking why he was charged $29 in store in addition to the HUP admin fee and charge for the phone.

@chaugh I have no clue what the $29 you paid in store was for. You'd have to look at your receipt or talk to Future Shop to find out what the charge was for.

I just checked my billing history and when I HUP'd to my Captivate a year a go I didn't have to pay anything in store.  The upgrade fee and phone cost were both charged on my monthly statement.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Like i said in my post he needs to contact Future shop.

The $29 fee could have been the warranty from them & they never explained it to him properly. This does happen in cases.

This is 1 reason why i never do HUP at a BB or FS. They always try to sell you things that are not really good & try to give you " discounts" meanwhile you never get them.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

thanks, yeah the question is what the 29 dollars were for. i only went to fs because i heard sometimes they give out 50 dollar gift coupons, which as far as i can tell is not true.

if the 29 is a 1 off thing, im willing to let it go, since i sent in the receipt so theres no way i can get it back. I guess this is a lesson to not go to best buy or future shop next time to do the hardware upgrade...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If the contract is up why wouldn't it be considered a New activation vs. Hardware upgrade?

Is N/A just a way of saying "you get a better deal as long as we're taking your business away from someone else?"
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like you should have just cancelled your account (or threatened to with retentions) and then signed a new activation. Probably would have only paid the $35.

This is why I am just waiting for the Raider to be promo'd or dropped to free on ROGERS site, as the last time I upgraded to the Magic I paid $150 and it was dropped to $50 within 2 weeks and free the next month.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

LOL trust me i called retentions many times, and they were really stingy on the discounts, even though my 3 year contract was over and i threatened to cancel.  they wouldnt even waive the $35 hup fee.

I didnt want to cancel cuz the new plans are ridiculously overpriced.  also, the droid razr dropped to 99 3 days after i brought it, so i called in and got a one time 50 dollar credit applied, so oh well 😕

i guess i was a idiot for not asking what the fee was for.  Next time i pass by a future shop, ill ask when ppl do a hardware upgrade, how much do they have to pay on the spot and see what they say.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey just so you guys know, if you visit Rogers Plus retail stores, they actually waive teh $35 activation fee on hardware upgrades, whereas futureshop doesn't. And by all means go back to futureshop and return the phone if you feel ripped off or that they were hiding information from you. It's your right as a customer.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

He can not take it back. Read the post. He has had the phone for more then 15 Days and most likely went over the 30 minute talk time rule.