Rogers Gigabit - Coda 4582U - SIP Phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Gigabit - Coda 4582U - SIP Phone

Fairly certain I am experiencing UDP packet loss. I work from home and use a sip phone quite a bit to connect with customers and colleagues and I experience packet loss quite a bit. Every few mins my sip phone will show connection quality as medium or low and I would have the audio cutting in and out for a few seconds at a time. I am wired directly to the modem via ethernet.

I have bell internet as backup and have no issues on it. You can find a screenshot of my DOCSIS WAN page here, nothing seems out of the ordinary: Dociss.png

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Gigabit - Coda 4582U - SIP Phone

I was going to suggest the same, disable the SIP/ALG which is located in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab, and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  I'm assuming that you have a black Hitron modem or the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem and that the phone is ethernet connected to the modem.  Does the phone connect to the cable system instead of the modem? 

Of course, if the SIP/ALG is already disabled in the modem, you could try enabling it and then reboot the modem.  Usually its the other way around, it needs to be disabled so that the VOIP phone uses the protocol as specified by its host server.  Sometimes the modem companies get that right, most often it appears that they don't, which is why the SIP/ALG usually requires disabling in the user's modem. 

Do you know if the VOIP phone has any special port forwarding requirements?  It would be worth checking the requirements or setup instructions for the phone to see if there is anything specific that the phone requires from the host modem. 

Your signal levels for the DOCSIS 3.0 downstream are ok, the DOCSIS 3.1 is anyone's guess as all of the parameters to judge its condition aren't presented, and the upstream DOCSIS 3.0 levels are higher than they normally are for this modem. Still well within spec, but higher than their normal 30 to 32 dBmV range.  

Do you have any other services with Rogers and would you happen to know if there is a powered amplifier installed on the incoming cable from the street?  If you have internet service and several nextbox 3's for example, you could have a passive splitter or a powered amp.  If its a powered amp, then the amp requires a passive VOIP port on it which can be used by the phone or by the internet modem.  So, that might be worth checking as well.

Did the phone work properly until now?  Just wondering if this is a recent occurrence? 

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello, @nmpanamdanam.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I appreciate you posting the RF signal table; the signal levels don't indicate any issues.

Have you tried disabling SIP/ALG switch in the modem? It can be accessed on the Basic/Gateway Function tab. 

Besides your SIP Phone do you notice any performance issue with other Internet activities? 

@Datalink may be able to provide more insights into this topic. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was going to suggest the same, disable the SIP/ALG which is located in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab, and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  I'm assuming that you have a black Hitron modem or the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem and that the phone is ethernet connected to the modem.  Does the phone connect to the cable system instead of the modem? 

Of course, if the SIP/ALG is already disabled in the modem, you could try enabling it and then reboot the modem.  Usually its the other way around, it needs to be disabled so that the VOIP phone uses the protocol as specified by its host server.  Sometimes the modem companies get that right, most often it appears that they don't, which is why the SIP/ALG usually requires disabling in the user's modem. 

Do you know if the VOIP phone has any special port forwarding requirements?  It would be worth checking the requirements or setup instructions for the phone to see if there is anything specific that the phone requires from the host modem. 

Your signal levels for the DOCSIS 3.0 downstream are ok, the DOCSIS 3.1 is anyone's guess as all of the parameters to judge its condition aren't presented, and the upstream DOCSIS 3.0 levels are higher than they normally are for this modem. Still well within spec, but higher than their normal 30 to 32 dBmV range.  

Do you have any other services with Rogers and would you happen to know if there is a powered amplifier installed on the incoming cable from the street?  If you have internet service and several nextbox 3's for example, you could have a passive splitter or a powered amp.  If its a powered amp, then the amp requires a passive VOIP port on it which can be used by the phone or by the internet modem.  So, that might be worth checking as well.

Did the phone work properly until now?  Just wondering if this is a recent occurrence? 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sip/alg is off. That was the first thing I did. The issue started 2 weeks after my install when the Downstream had a signal strength of -21 and above. I called in to Rogers, and explained the issue and they had a tech come out the next day and he brought the signals back to or as close to zero. But he also put a 9db connector on the modem saying the upstream should be close to 40 for some reason. I just removed it and the upstream is at 31, 36 and 33 for signal strength. I'll see how things go tomorrow and keep you posted. @Datalink thank you for all the info.

Edit: No special port forwarding etc required. No other services with Rogers.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What are the DOCSIS 3.0 downstream signal levels looking like now, without the attenuator?  I suspect that they're around +10/11 dBmV.  The DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM channel might not be at that same level.  Although the upper range is + 15 dbmV, realistically, modems with signal levels at or outside of +/- 7/8 dBmV will show problems.  That's not a rule, just an observation of many signal level tables. 

Note that your modem is running DOCSIS 3.1 for downstream data and DOCSIS 3.0 for upstream data.  There isn't an ISP anywhere that I'm aware of that has fielded DOCSIS 3.1 upstream.  Hopefully that will arrive sometime in the next few weeks.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Current DOCSIS attached. I just tried a test call and it looks like now its a lot longer between the audio cut out but still cuts out every once in a while.Dociss.png

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'll try switching SIP/ALG back on since after initial install and in the first 2 weeks, I had no issues with it on. WIll report back.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nmpanamdanam your signal levels without the attenuator look ok.  I'd disable the SIP/ALG and reboot the modem at this point.  

There is a chance that you have a cable problem which results in fast disconnect/reconnects.  That won't show up in the signal table.  So, if you still see disconnects, I'll get you to run an extended ping test to the CMTS, which the modem connects to.  That will show any packet loss that occurs as a result of the disconnect. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why do u have two internet waste of money I have fiber to the neighbourhood with Rogers and docsis 3.1 and get speeds of 555mbps was the highest on wifi with gigabit Internet and speed to the modem was 942mbps
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

U guys always say a few weeks it’s been a year since u said that and still nothing I have gigabit Internet and when I test the upload speed it goes up to 50-75mbps then back down to 30 which shows even right now it can handle higher upload speed then 30mbps