cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers First Rewards

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers has introduced a new loyalty program called Rogers First Rewards. From what I can see, it will replace the Better Choice Bundles discounts. 

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Better-Choice-Bundles.pdf

If you previously subscribed to the Better Choice Bundles discounts, you could could earn up to 12% in discounts depending on how many services you subscribed to. Of course, if you got a better retention discount, you would lose the Better Choice Bundles discount. However, the point is that the Better Choice Bundles discount will be grandfathered UNLESS you sign up for Rogers First Rewards. You have to read the fine print!

Better Choice Bundles™ Customers. You acknowledge that if you currently participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other discount program, and you are otherwise eligible for the Program, you may enroll in the Program. However, you acknowledge and agree that once you enroll in the Program you will no longer be eligible for any Rogers Better Choice Bundles discount or other applicable discount, and such discount will automatically be discontinued for all Rogers services and accounts under your name as of the start of your next billing cycle. Once you have stopped participating in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program, you will not be able to re-enroll.

Judging by the comments on another forum, the First Rewards program is not very good. 

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1758769&postcount=8

It does not surprise me in the least that when Rogers introduces something new that they take something away in order to get it. Past experience would suggest that whatever they take away is usually better than whatever will replace it. So just a cautionary note: BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU SIGN UP FOR THE NEW PROGRAM. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR BETTER CHOICE BUNDLES DISCOUNT AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK!

***edited labels***

76 REPLIES 76

Re: Rogers First Rewards

_0101_
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried signing in to the RFR site and it said it's not available in my region.  I guess the internet doesn't extend to my region, despite me accessing it through Rogers cable for years now.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello _0101_

The Rogers First Rewards was only turned on in some cities. Most cities in Canada do not have them yet but Rogers will be turning them on soon.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@_0101_ wrote:

I tried signing in to the RFR site and it said it's not available in my region.  I guess the internet doesn't extend to my region, despite me accessing it through Rogers cable for years now.

It does sound like nothing they will give you is anything more than a token reward. I have to think that the winner in this will be Rogers (with the bundle discounts of up to 12% being gone) while customers will need to spend a lot of money to get a measly $10 (or less) freebie, such as a free on demand movie!

Just as an example, we only get the bundles discount of 12% on our wireless plan due to retentions discounts being much greater on home phone, Internet, and Cable. Our base plan is $55 per month, resulting in a discount of $6.60 per month. Based on what I have read, you would have to spend $1000 just to get a free on demand movie, currently priced at $5.99 (for a limited time only). Do the math folks. It is a no brainer! No thanks Rogers!

Rogers First Rewards

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

Like many people I'm sure, I recently received an email about the First Rewards initiative. Since then, I've received text messages from Rogers about it as well. This is the first time in ages I've received a Rogers text message. My marketing permissions on my account won't let me update text message because it tells me that I don't have a cellular phone. I'm aware of this issue and spoke with someone on the phone long ago about it and she assured me she would take care of it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but was wondering if other people have been getting texts about this initiative.

I have not myself, only email.

Crilde
I Plan to Stick Around
I think only people that are still on the old Better Choice Bundle program will receive marketing for it, everyone else is enrolled automatically (i.e. not on BCB)

The reason is because Rogers can't take away your BCB unless you opt-in to the Rogers First Rewards, so they try and persuade you into taking the new offer. Honestly, If you have the %12 discount, I would keep it. As of right now, The rewards aren't really anything special.

Crilde:

What you say makes sense. I've been with Rogers for about 15 years, although I haven't seen the term Better Choice Bundles in a long time. I agree the First Rewards thing doesn't look very interesting, but I haven't spent any time trying to understnad it either.

Depending on the # of services.. i beelive with the bundling in that way.. you get a $12.99 max, discount on your bill every month.. just for having all the products.

Those are not longer available to NEW customers.. so the rewards is the only way to go.

Every month, based on the amount you spend on your services, you are placed in a tier, silver, gold, platinum.  Silver gets 1pt per $ on the bill, gold 1.5 and platinum 2.
(EG: for my aplicable services (the security system doesnt count currently), is about $370, so i would get 740 pts aprox every month.

With the rewards.. they are usually temporary upgrades, addons, etc... for internet, wireless, tv, etc.

Internet: on month upgrades to higher package, additional usage addons, etc

TV: One month of a add on station package, RoD movie rentals, etc

Wireless:  US and international voice, text and data roaming bundles.

Bigest future thing to the rewards.. when they implement it, you will be able to put points towards a phone upgrade.  So say the new iphone is $200 on a 2 year contracts.. if you had enough points, you could cut most of that $200 cost, etc.

For someone who travels alot and uses roaming for example.. the savings of that addon might be more than the $12.99.

But generally.. someone on the better choice bundles is better to stick with them for now.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Depending on the # of services.. I believe with the bundling in that way.. You get a $12.99 Max, discount on your bill every month.. Just for having all the products.

Those are not longer available to NEW customers.. So the rewards is the only way to go.

Every month, based on the amount you spend on your services, you are placed in a tier, silver, gold, platinum.  Silver gets 1pt per $ on the bill, gold 1.5 and platinum 2.
(EG: for my applicable services (the security system doesn't count currently), is about $370, so I would get 740 pts aprox every month.

With the rewards.. They are usually temporary upgrades, addons, etc... for internet, wireless, tv, etc.

Internet: on month upgrades to higher package, additional usage addons, etc

TV: One month of a add on station package, RoD movie rentals, etc

Wireless:  US and international voice, text and data roaming bundles.

Bigest future thing to the rewards.. when they implement it, you will be able to put points towards a phone upgrade.  So say the new iphone is $200 on a 2 year contracts.. if you had enough points, you could cut most of that $200 cost, etc.

For someone who travels alot and uses roaming for example.. the savings of that addon might be more than the $12.99.

But generally.. someone on the better choice bundles is better to stick with them for now.

I have the 12% Off Better Choice Bundles. Just to be clear there is no :$12.99 cap. It's 12% across the board with no max caps.  I actually have many services through Rogers you have to have the three minimum services to get the BCB discount but it applies to everything on your account even when you add new things for example I recently added two Ipad mini's for my wife and I on the Ipad flex plan and even though the BCB is no longer offered the 12% savings is applied to that too. My last bill with all the services saved me $32.63 and the 12% discount is actually applied before taxes your technically saving even a bit more.

With that being said I still drop a lot of money into the Rogers coffers each month. I came to see what the rewards were for the reward program and clearly sticking with my 12% reduced better choice bundles is the way to go for now.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Azuri21 wrote:

With that being said I still drop a lot of money into the Rogers coffers each month. I came to see what the rewards were for the reward program and clearly sticking with my 12% reduced better choice bundles is the way to go for now.

Just to put things into perspective can you post a BALLPARK amount that you pay Rogers every month for all your services to enable this unbeleievably generous discount you receive. Inquiring minds want to know.........Thanks

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@Hogwash wrote:

@Azuri21 wrote:

Just to put things into perspective can you post a BALLPARK amount that you pay Rogers every month for all your services to enable this unbeleievably generous discount you receive. Inquiring minds want to know.........Thanks$

After discounts my last bill was $253ish for the month after the discounts and taxes for that posted amount. I can spend more if my iPad flex plans get more usage but the 12% will also apply. My gut feeling is the value of the Rogers First Rewards program will not come close to that amount. I could be wrong since I don't know any details about it other then the e-mail they sent me asking If I wanted to switch out from the Better Choice Bundles it's the reason I came out here to seek this thread. I'll stick with the cash money discount for now until I see the comparisons of the two programs.

I'm still getting text messages from Rogers about First Rewards. I wish they'd go away, but I have no way to stop them. Rogers certainly knows how to annoy its customers some times.

There should be a 'not now' option.. which does not promt you to sign up anymore on the emails, etc..

As for the VALUE.. depending on your TIER and the amount of points you would be getting per month..

I am at about the HIGH end of it (maybe would be higher if i had more than 2 phones..) but i have TV with boxes and extra package, express internet, home phone and 2 cells @ 80is/m... and i would be gaining probably around 800pts per month.

Things that points get you for that range.. are about $8-9 in value.. so likley LESS than the 12%.

Gdkitty:

I recently got a discount for my internet and cable packages, plus $5 a month off my wireless bill, for the next 12 months. I don't actually know how First Rewards is going to work and whether or not I'll accumulate some kind of "points" even though I have a discounted plan. Guess time will tell.

While not always... some other promotions (like retentions discounts) will sometimes prevent a person from bundling otherwise..

and not have the better choice bundles :(.. and once those are gone, they are not comming back.

As far as i know.. you dont start accumulating until you sign up... but signing up will get rid of the BETTER CHOICE Bundles.. but shouldnt get rid of anything else.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

As far as i know.. you dont start accumulating until you sign up... but signing up will get rid of the BETTER CHOICE Bundles.. but shouldnt get rid of anything else.

I think that anyone who is eligible will automatically get points.

Form the Rogerw web site  There's no registration, no membership fee, and no card to carry. The only thing you have to do is decide what reward to choose.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.. but i mean, someone who is NOT on the program.

IE: someone who is getting a better choice bundle.. and has not loged in and said YES, wont start getting points.

Thats my understanding at least..

Otherwise would be totally unfair.. someone who DID fully switch now and lost their better choice bundles, would only start getting points and no discount.
And a better choice person, would be able to get their discount, and just keep getting points until they are forced into changing.. getting double the value, etc.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Gdkitty

You are correct. Someone that has NOT agreed or accepted to be in the First Rewards Program will NOT be getting points unless they accept it and stop using the better choice bundles.

Yatti420
I Plan to Stick Around

Roger's is up to their shenanigans again.. 

Here is a tip for all Roger's users.. Don't sign up for First Rewards! I REPEAT DO NOT SIGN UP FOR FIRST REWARDS.. 

Say goodbye to all your discounts!... This should be 100% illegal.. I may report them to my local mp / appropriate agencies for action.. This is how Rogers feels about their customers.. The ones who pay their dividends.. Sigh.. 

You'll have to call in and complain in order to have this reversed.. If it's to late I probably wouldn't bother.. Really just another reason to LEAVE rogers for TekSaavy my #1 choice.. I've never been so dissapointed in a company before.. I mean how much worse can it get for Canadians?

2. Program Eligibility.  
General Eligibility Rules. To be eligible for the Program, you must have an active account for Eligible Service(s)
Non-Eligible Customers. Even if you have an active account for an Eligible Service, certain customers will not be eligible for the Program, including customers who participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other specified Rogers discount programs and customers who participate in discounted bulk services agreements. Non-eligible customers will be listed on the Rogers First Rewards Portal.     
Better Choice Bundles™ Customers. You acknowledge that if you currently participate in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program or other specified discount program, and you are otherwise eligible for the Program, you may enroll in the Program. However, you acknowledge and agree that once you enroll in the Program you will no longer be eligible for any Rogers Better Choice Bundles discount or other applicable discount, and such discount will automatically be discontinued for all Rogers services and accounts under your name as of the start of your next billing cycle. Once you have stopped participating in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program, you will not be able to re-enroll in the Rogers Better Choice Bundles program. 
3. Program Enrollment.   Only eligible Rogers Account Holders may be enrolled in the Program. Program enrollment policies may vary depending on timing, region, customer type and/or other factors to be determined by Rogers in its sole discretion, and are subject to change without notice. For example: (i) you may be automatically enrolled in the Program; (ii) you may be able to enroll by logging into My Rogers and signing up at the Rogers First Rewards Portal; or (iii) you may be required to enroll by some other method. In other words, not all Account Holders will be automatically enrolled in the Program or have access to the Rogers First Rewards Portal. Once enrolled, you will begin to earn Points (as described below) as of the start of your next billing cycle.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Yatti420

This has been already discussed in another thread as well. Sadly you need to pick which one u want. I do not have any better bundle discounts but i do have some discounts on my wireless & TV services & never lost them. This is ONLY if you have the better bundle discounts or something similar. I did read your post but i never lost my discounts from retentions that they offered me.

Anyways i honestly think they made a mistake doing this. Putting those rules should not be there in the first place .
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/message-id/59...

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats