Rogers Enhanced Home Networking Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Targetsu
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Enhanced Home Networking Gateway

I noticed this at Futureshop: http://www.futureshop.ca/EN-CA/product/id/10143804.aspx

Does this replace my existing hi-speed Rogers modem, and my current Cisco router?  I'd also like to know if it will replace my Home Phone box.  Getting one box, to replace three is a good deal.

Thanks

-Paul

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
CaptainCurt
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Rogers Enhanced Home Networking Gateway

That would replace your internet modem and router that you have, it won't replace your home phone modem though. The home phone box is a different technology all together, and is provisionned for your own phone service.

Purchasing the gateway modems is an option feature, it'll save you the cost of paying for the rental, some people look at differently:

With a rental, you have an ongoing warranty. If anything happens, then you can swap it for a new one at no cost.

With a purchased box, you're saving the monthly rental fee of $3.00 (for a regular) and $4.50 for the gateway modem,  and $7.00 for the new N gateway.

The box you mentioned is $200 or $7.00 per month. Let's say you get 2 years out of it, that would cost you 168 over those 2 years.

Generally speaking, it's my opinion that they last longer than that, technology is always changing but not that fast, the most popular plans Rogers has, the Lite and Express can still be used with the G gateway modems we have.

Hope this helps, big purchases are always hard!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

This will replace your modem and router, NOT your home phone box. 

Personally I would stay away from this. My experience shows routers come and go (aka break after time) and my modem has been working great for the last 8 yrs there's about.. I think since I got rogers I've had 1 modem and 4 routers.

That said if I had to replace my working modem because my router died or got outdated that would be pretty wasteful...

On another thread I've been helping people who have been having problems with these all in one modem/routers, so as they may sound like a good idea you lose some control to Rogers. Say one day you want to switch to a different provider you would not have that option with this all in one box. But with a separate  solution you could keep your router and just switch the modem..

Just my 2 cents...

CaptainCurt
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

That would replace your internet modem and router that you have, it won't replace your home phone modem though. The home phone box is a different technology all together, and is provisionned for your own phone service.

Purchasing the gateway modems is an option feature, it'll save you the cost of paying for the rental, some people look at differently:

With a rental, you have an ongoing warranty. If anything happens, then you can swap it for a new one at no cost.

With a purchased box, you're saving the monthly rental fee of $3.00 (for a regular) and $4.50 for the gateway modem,  and $7.00 for the new N gateway.

The box you mentioned is $200 or $7.00 per month. Let's say you get 2 years out of it, that would cost you 168 over those 2 years.

Generally speaking, it's my opinion that they last longer than that, technology is always changing but not that fast, the most popular plans Rogers has, the Lite and Express can still be used with the G gateway modems we have.

Hope this helps, big purchases are always hard!

View solution in original post

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks CaptainCurt!