cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Dropping AMC

Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile
"Occasionally, we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer see this charge on your bill as of this date. We understand that a change like this can be frustrating and we apologize for the inconvenience."

**Labels Added**
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

Good news Community!

We are pleased to announce that we have reached a fair agreement with the content provider to continue offering the AMC channel to our customers.

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

160 REPLIES 160

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not saying its a good thing, etc..
But truthfully, doesn't surprise me.

Not sure how many remember the big hoopla a number of years back with AMC.  Where AMC was broadcasting that 'rogers is planning on taking AMC away from you, contact here to make your voice heard'
It wasnt necessarily that Rogers was just going to drop it.  It was that their licensing deal with rogers was up for renewal.  And AMC was asking for a 400%+  increase in fee's from rogers.  I completely understand how/why they would consider not renewing.

This may run into much a similar case.
AMC waning alot of $$ for the channel.
And its not cost effective for them to keep it bundled anymore at that.

RogersYasmine

Hi @Stinkylouise,

Thanks for joining us here in the Rogers Community Forums! We appreciate your first post!

It is indeed true that the AMC channel will no longer be available as of 11:59 p.m. ET, December 31, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We understand that this change can be frustrating. Here’s how your package will change. If you subscribe to AMC channel as…

• A Standalone Channel or part of a theme pack (Digital or Ignite TV): If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of December 31, 2019. If this channel is part of a theme pack, it will be removed. The price of your theme pack will not change.
  • FLEX Channels (Ignite TV only): To ensure your package won’t be disrupted, if you subscribe to AMC as a Flex Channel option within your Popular or Premier TV package, or the Flex 5 and 10 Package, we will replace it with another channel from the pool of Flex Channels available. You can also exchange it yourself once every 30 days online using your MyRogers account at: rogers.com/myrogers.

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Update: We are working hard to reach a fair agreement and are hopeful for a positive outcome to continue offering the channel to our customers. Please see @RogersMaude's post for more information. 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hmmmm, I wonder if Bell customers will be impacted by this too? If not, then nothing good will come of this for Rogers as AMC is still a fairly popular channel for many people. Having said that, I really do think Rogers (and other traditional TV providers) have a much bigger problem on their hands. With an OTA antenna for FREE local HD channels, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV, Disney+ (and soon Hulu when it launches in Canada) to stream everything else, who needs cable TV? I’m going to predict that cord cutting is going to spike. We’re already seeing it and I’ve already read several reports of Rogers’ Ignite TV product under-selling and under-performing. Companies like Rogers need to shift strategies completely. What that is, I have no idea, but their TV service (IPTV or not) will not survive very much longer in its current form.

jjjjy7
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So there is no option to get AMC?  No more Walking Dead???

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed 

Those may not be impacted, yet.  As their license for AMC is completely different and separate than rogers.. if its not up yet.. may not be the same issues... or they may choose to pay MORE for it, if thats what the issue is, etc.  

@jjjjy7 
This only effects people who are still on the legacy VIP packages.   They can still get it, it just wont be bundled and they would have to pay for it separately.
As far as I am aware, it wouldnt effect people who are on OTHER digital TV packages.
And doesnt effect Ignite customers.

jjjjy7
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@GdkittyAMC is a flex channel with Ignite TV, so if I am interpreting @RogersYasmine comments, we will lose it all together.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think we need further clarification from Rogers on this matter. Does it only affect some people (Digital VIP for example) or does it affect everyone.  

I reviewed my last 3 bills and there's no announcement regarding AMC.  I'm on Rogers Premier.  The loss of AMC for "everyone" would be a "big deal".

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't see that announcement on my last few bills. Would it be on on the November bill? The latest I can see is Oct 15, 2019.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes>

It's on the November bill.

Huh.. looks like i miss read the information.
Looks like EVERYONE is loosing it.

That sucks.

Guess licensing renewal fell through 😞

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

So that brings up the obvious question. What will Rogers replace it with? Obviously nothing. When they first began this "channel realignment" as they called it, they substituted other channels for the ones they removed. Now all they do is periodically remove channels from legacy packages, saving money in licensing fees, yet the price keeps going up each year anyway.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

All the more reason to eventually drop legacy tv service completely. As I mentioned before, it’s become more and more useless. For the few channels we actually watch, we can get them for free over the air with a digital/HD antenna. We stream everything else via Netflix, Prime, and Disney+

Receiving freebie OTA broadcasts is fine if you're in a major city with numerous channels or if you live very close to the Canada / U.S. border.  If you're not in an OTA footprint, you're out of luck and have to resort to plan B, cable, satellite or possibly streaming.  

Yeah.. I live up by lake Simcoe.  Maybe with a much higher height antenna, I might get a few more.. but with standard equipment..  I get 3 channels with OTA.  Woohoo.

It will be an empty slot in the channel lineup for right now obviously.
It MIGHT be replaced with something? who knows.  But may not be instant either.  Would have to get the licensing with another channel, etc.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yeah it depends how far you are from the transmitter, but you’d be surprised what some of the newer antennas are capable of. For example, Winegard has one (it’s one of the larger units) that’s rated to pickup signal from 150 miles away.

aa210
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on Popular and I also got the memo, I guess no more Walking Dead, I actually watch AMC quite abit.

nighthawk
I Plan to Stick Around

No more Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead or other AMC shows that many people like to watch. Too bad, I liked AMC. Rogers won't replace it with anything and still keep raising rates, but that's their way of doing business. Take away channels that people like and don't replace them with anything at all or with anything of significant value. Keep charging more for less.

Treating consumers like this will only drive them away from Rogers to other options that are available to watch the programming that they want from AMC.  This is how Rogers alienates their customers. It's things like this, the mistreatment of consumers, that builds up over time. Consumers don't forget; they will continue to harbour resentment for the way that Rogers keeps treating them. 

Rogers will make up an excuse and say that it is all AMC's fault but the point is that Rogers continues to treat its customers with disrespect and keeps taking them for granted. 

This is not meant to be an attack on Rogers as a corporation. So I ask that the moderator does not interpret it that way as I do not think that I am violating Rogers community forum guidelines. I am just saying that the reality is that many people will be upset when they turn on their television to watch The Walking Dead, like they do each week, and there is a message  on their television that says AMC is no longer available or they hear about it in the media.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

I have been told by Bell that they have no intention of dropping AMC, so that is where we will be heading. We are so sick of Rogers cancelling channels and never replacing them or lowering your bill. Losing Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, and Better Call Saul is really a big deal for us. Also, when it appears that Rogers will be dropping digital cable, Fibe TV looks to be a far better alternative than Ignite TV.

Also the comment that "we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package" is nothing but a canned, cut and paste. AMC is a popular channel that many people watch. "Evolving viewership trends" - pffft!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

"Evolving viewer trends". What came first, the chicken or the egg? Seems to me people are leaving as a result of reduced content. So Rogers reduces content to make up for falling revenue.

FH5
I'm Here A Lot

Me too.  There must be somewhere we can watch the Walking Dead.  This is devastating for a lot of people

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats