cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Data Usage On Iphone 4S incorrect.

Tarmack
I've Been Here Awhile

I use a lot of data.  I'm prefacing the post with this so that I can make it clear that I know how much data I use.  I am an avid video creator on YouTube relating to the game industry and as such have a very high ceiling for data received on my phone.  I use some Wifi, but primarily the data use is on the 3G network.  As such, I jumped on the 6GB data plan for $30 back when it was available.

Now, a few months back I started to receive overage notices and the corresponding fees.  So I began to monitor thing more carefully and noticed that Rogers would often hit the 6GB threshold far before my phone would.  Unfortunately, I hadn't reset my usage stats in the iPhone utilities at exactly the right time, so I didn't have a solid case to build.

On November 3rd of this year, the first day of my new billing cycle I reset my data usage.  Today at 1:42pm I received the text from Rogers stating that I was at 100% of my data usage for the cycle.  Now, unfortunately having reset my usage stats, my phone seems to indicate that I have downloaded 4.2GB and uploaded 200MB.  Given that the phone is of course the superior source for how much data was actually received, I am understandably more prone to believe its' number than the mysterious counter that Rogers uses. 

This leads us to a discrepency of 1.6GB over 24 days between what my phone received and what Rogers thinks I used.  Please note that I'm not including any WIFI use which would only reduce the amount of 3G data used, making the discrepency even larger.

I phoned Rogers billing and the agent I spoke to, who unfortunately for me did not provide their name went as far as to try to blame Apple for the iPhone utilities not being as accurate as Rogers.  This would be one of those cases where offering an uneducated opinion was probably a mistake.

Now, what I suspect is going on is that due to the use of the YouTube app, when I start to view a video, I need to select which quality of video I wish to view.  However, the original video has often started to load if only slightly before closing it and restarting at the requested resolution.  It seems likely to me that Rogers is not measuring the actual flow through of data, but instead the expected flow based on the size of the file whether the download completes or not.  As such I am being hit twice for the same video.  Once for the initial phantom load and again for the actual version that was streamed. 

I would like to know what is recommended by Rogers in this case.  As Rogers doesn't offer a cost effective plan for high data users (I make maybe 10 phone calls and minimal texts every month, so this is a mobile computer for me) this is very quickly pushing me in the direction of Wind.  I'm getting very tired of being billed exorbitant amounts of money for data use exceeding the 6GB marker due to data in that range somehow being valued at $15 for 1GB, This is half of my data bill for 1/6th the data and Rogers doesn't even have a better offering.  It's unacceptable.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Data Usage On Iphone 4S incorrect.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cant help much on the usage part... i am a LOW usage user comparatively.. On a 2g plan, barely break $600 usually.. most of the time on wifi.. and my ussage (internal vs rogers) is within 20mb or so... but again i am not a HIGH user, so cant compare at those levels (nor do i use youtube on the phone, etc).

Just a fair warning.. if you DO look at wind mobile.
Their 'unlimited' data.. has it drawbacks.  You have a 5g 'soft' cap.  After 5g, your speed is throttled to 256kb.  Likely at that point, you wont be able to properly stream youtube videos 😞

Cant link it here.. but look up their fair usage policy.

You are on one of the best price point / GB plans period, at least from the big carriers.  Most are MORE $ for LESS currently.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cant help much on the usage part... i am a LOW usage user comparatively.. On a 2g plan, barely break $600 usually.. most of the time on wifi.. and my ussage (internal vs rogers) is within 20mb or so... but again i am not a HIGH user, so cant compare at those levels (nor do i use youtube on the phone, etc).

Just a fair warning.. if you DO look at wind mobile.
Their 'unlimited' data.. has it drawbacks.  You have a 5g 'soft' cap.  After 5g, your speed is throttled to 256kb.  Likely at that point, you wont be able to properly stream youtube videos 😞

Cant link it here.. but look up their fair usage policy.

You are on one of the best price point / GB plans period, at least from the big carriers.  Most are MORE $ for LESS currently.

Tarmack
I've Been Here Awhile

That's definitely true.  Though even on the $30 plan with the unlimited data, adding on the premium data "addon" for $10 you aren't throttled until 10GB.  That's a $40 per month plan covering 90% of what I do with the phone and is better than an $80 plan with Rogers.  At the end of the day, having your connection slowed down rather than paying an extra $15 per 1GB is just looking like a better offer, especially if Rogers is as it would appear, counting data wrong.

Thanks for the reply.  🙂

Wont argue with that.. just wanting to make sure you were aware 🙂

There are alot who are NOT who have swiched and found out the hard way...  i know a few that have switched.. and found while on the throttled.. they could do emails.. some browsing.. but not much more than that though 😞 its slower than EDGE speeds 😞

Tarmack
I've Been Here Awhile

I've now been told twice by Rogers employees that their data calculation is correct and that the Apple internal data calculation is wrong.  A very odd standpoint and one that I suspect that Rogers as a company doesn't necessarily support.  And ironically during a call Rogers made to me to thank me for my patronage and talk about plan adjustments.

Turns out I was also the first person this agent had ever heard from who complained about the lack of good data plans.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation