Rogers Changed their plans?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m00fie
I've Been Around

Rogers Changed their plans?

Ok, so I get this new router/modem from Rogers with the new 120GB cap for Extreme users (my old plan only gave 95GB)and in a matter of 2 weeks I reach 100%. I reached my 95GB cap 3 times due to excesive downloads.

I talk to the reps and they tell me that not only am I using bandwidth for downloads/uploads & streaming, but now browsing the web and using Xbox Live to play games also adds to it.

I had XBL for over 3 years and did not touch the bandwidth except for the occasional download of DLC or a demo. 3 other people use it as well. How in the heck is this possible all of the sudden? Did they decide to do this overnight and neglect to inform anyone?

Does this happen to everyone else as well?

***edited labels***

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers Changed their plans? Accounting transparency required!

@m00fie:

this matter has been a constant concern/irritant with me, and should be with all of us.

We are all charged for data usage by Rogers.  But Rogers has never released information on how they measure our data usage.  Nor is there any evidence whatsoever that there is any unbiased third-party auditing taking place on how Rogers measures our data usage, and how they apply their charging algorithm.

As a result, Rogers could in fact both set up and change the charging algorithm based entirely on their internal corporate goals.  And we know what they are: maximize profit.  And Rogers could also make mistakes in its application of its charging algorithm and as long as the end results satisfy them, there is zero incentive to do any checking, or make any changes.

For example, Rogers is trying to get us all to use "paperless" billing and to access our account information on their website.  But when we do so, does the data usage we incur for that also get included in our usage charges?  What do you think?????

And then they have the temerity and arrogance to charge us extra if we want a paper bill delivered in the mail!

There is no truth or sanity, let alone fairness to this situation.  I assume that this applies to any and all Canadian ISP's.

skinorth

Untouchable
I Plan to Stick Around

the issue I keep running into is not getting the correct usage limit for my tier

example todays email said  "Our records show your household has reached 100% of the 60 GB monthly usage allowance provided with your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express service."

last I checked the Express package had an 80 GB limit.  So why do I only get 60.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Untouchable wrote:

the issue I keep running into is not getting the correct usage limit for my tier

example todays email said  "Our records show your household has reached 100% of the 60 GB monthly usage allowance provided with your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express service."

last I checked the Express package had an 80 GB limit.  So why do I only get 60.  

In essence, there are two 'express' packages.  One with an 15mbps 60g cap, and one with an 18mbps and 80g cap.

Anyone signing up new to rogers, will get the higher.. as they are getting a new modem/router.. and this is where the hitch is.

To gain the higher speed/cap, you need to upgrade your exisiting modem, to one of their modem/gateways.  They can then switch you over to the 80g cap.  IF you are renting your modem now, its probably $4 a month, this new one is $7.

Now... as many people on here will say.  There is no hardware limitation why the older modems cant have a higher cap.  But rogers has chosen to do it this way, i beleive to get more people on the newer technology (means they can release other features, etc) - (and some will say to milk more money, but thats another argument).

Now.. in the end, if you break it down if you are renting the modem.. the $3 difference, for an extra 20g, is cheaper than having to pay the overages for 20g.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

so it looks like the xbox h ad nothing to do with it after all, you can retract that arguement, as it ended up being a problem with the modem, you are probably using a docsis 2 modem, not a docsys 3, and need a docsis 3 to achieve the higher bandwidth cappage

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly wrote:
so it looks like the xbox h ad nothing to do with it after all, you can retract that arguement, as it ended up being a problem with the modem, you are probably using a docsis 2 modem, not a docsys 3, and need a docsis 3 to achieve the higher bandwidth cappage

Except that Gdkitty was replying to Untouchable who commented about the 60 GB usage allowance and said nothing at all about XBox. It was m00fie who made the comment regarding XBox. But yes the D3 modem is required for the newer plans with higher speeds and usage allowances. The only correction I would make (to Gdkitty) is that the speed for Express with a D2 modem is only 10 Mbps. The D3 modem will give you up to 18 Mbps.

julio1
I'm Here A Lot

I ran into the exact issue as Untouchable, this week.  Bumping up against 60Gig limit.

Guess I didn't get the memo, but a slightly snarky Rogers person in the BWV shop told me I needed a new modem.  In swapping out I also find that the new modem provides wireless service too, rendering my nearly new $100 wireless router redundant.

Was there a notice on this that  missed?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@julio1 wrote:

I ran into the exact issue as Untouchable, this week.  Bumping up against 60Gig limit.

Guess I didn't get the memo, but a slightly snarky Rogers person in the BWV shop told me I needed a new modem.  In swapping out I also find that the new modem provides wireless service too, rendering my nearly new $100 wireless router redundant.

Was there a notice on this that  missed?

Don't be in a hurry to declare your new $100 router redundant. If you do some research online, you will find numerous boards and posts regarding the wireless component of the D3 modems. Many customers suffer from both poor wireless range and dropped wifi connections. The solution of choice for many is to put your D3 modem into bridge mode and use your own router. So be sure to keep it as you will likely need it!!!

bgood004
I'm Here A Lot

I ran into same problem yesterday.  I have old express account with 60MB and was told to get the upgraded 80MB I would have to bring in old modem and exchange foe new one.  However after reading posts I am hesitant.  I currently use a linksys router and have no problems with wifi around my house.  It seems the new modem/router combo provided by Rogers has nothing but issues with connectivity.

Wondering if I should stay with my old modem (and my own router)at 60MB instead of switching to new modem/router @ 80MB.  I am NOT tech savvy and am worried I will not get connection with new modem/router and not know how to bridge it with my linksys router.

bgood004
I'm Here A Lot

meant G not MB in my post above