Rogers CGN3ROG - Configuration / Port Blocking / Synology Server

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers CGN3ROG - Configuration / Port Blocking / Synology Server

My cable modem died last month, so I upgraded to Rogers "top-end" cable modem - CGN3ROG - what a terrible experience.  I'm now on my 3rd replacement in a month as diagnosed by Rogers tech support as "hardware issues".

Anyway, a persistent issue I'm coping with now that I have a router that works is that the CGN3ROG seems to be loaded with some custom Rogers firmware that overrides the standard features.

My primary issue is that the cable modem will not seem to let traffic through to my Synology DS214+ server ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/299  ).  I'm running the latest server OS (DSM5.1) and I've tried port forwarding ports 80, 5000 and 5001 so far, but the server is still not able to execute through the cable modem.  There are only 10 port forwarding rules in the CGN3ROG, so I'm trying to use the Port Forwarding sparingly.

Has anyone else figured out how to get the CGN3ROG to work effectively or do I need to put it in Bridge mode and use a separate router (a recommendation I've seen other people make because they said Rogers blocks port forwarding in firmware).

Any help/knowledge sharing appreciated.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers CGN3ROG - Configuration / Port Blocking / Synology Server

Generally port forwarding is NOT blocked on the CGN3.. at least not ALL of it.

I am running in gateway mode (not bridged), and am sucessfully able to port forward, at least what i am forwarding.

I am able to forward port 80 for my webserver, port 21 for my FTP, and a 3200 range one for an alternate web server for my media server software.

Where is it failing?
Is the synology when setting it up, trying to connect out and do a test and failing that way?
Or are you trying to just connect to it from your external IP? (from internal) or from external and it not working?

You could try in the CGN3 security section to change the level to MINIMUM.. if its an OUTGOING issue, could just be the stricter NAT on it.

The unit does not support loopback... so you cant use the EXTERNAL IP while internaly to test/view.
SHOULD work from external tho.

Beyond that.. bridging is then the best solution.. you then rely on the 3rd party router to then properly do the routing/forwarding, etc (likely better than the CGN3 can)

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the insights.

There is definitely something different about the CGN3ROG - before it, I used a Cisco router and then the Rogers CGN2 router and the Synology had no problem doing Port Forwarding automatically using their EZ-Internet setup.

With the CGN3ROG, I consistently get an error message when it is trying to configure the router "ERROR: DNS resolving ability is abnormal, please confirm DNS server has ability to resolve public domain name " .   Anyway, since it can't seem to configure the CGN3ROG using Upnp, I resorted to manually Port Forwrding.

I already have the CGN3 set to MINIMUM since that is the shipped default - if I read that right, it should be letting pretty well anything through (although, is the description wrong) - I assume it means that pretty well all ports are open for outbound, but it actually seems to refer to inbound.

I can see the Synology on my LAN network and access it fully, but it can't seem to get internet responses - i.e. I can't get updates, can't get internet access to music or photo's, even though I've set up port forwarding rules in the CGN3ROG for ports 80, 5000, 5001, etc. .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. the NAT on the CGN3 is natoriously VERY strict regarless.. people who have no issues with say a VOIP adapter being just plug and play before.. on the CGN3 having to do port forwarding.

it might just not play nice with the CGN3 😞