cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers CGN3ACSMR Modem vs Asus RT-68u

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, 

I recently got rogers CGN3ACSRh modem. However I have an ASUS rt-68u router at home. 

I was wondering if it was going to be advantageous to turn off the wifi in the rogers modem and just use the Asus router as wifi for home ? 

Will there be a speed difference from the wifi stand point for both ? Also with regards to the range ?

Thank you 

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers CGN3ACSMR Modem vs Asus RT-68u

The Wifi LED lit up when the modem is in Bridge mode is a firmware bug.  When the modem is in Bridge mode it doesn't have routing or wifi capabilities available. 

If you have the correct cable signal levels at the modem, running a wired speedtest either through the modem in Gateway mode or Modem - - Router - - pc with the modem in Bridge mode should yield approx 130 ish Mb/s down, peak rate with Rogers Speedboot kicking in, and 10 to 11 Mb/s up.  Those test results should be the same for both modem - pc combo and for the modem - router - pc combo. 

If you wanted to check the wif output of the modem or check your wifi environment, you can use inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  The link below is for the last freebie version.  It will monitor 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, but doesn't display the newer 802.11ac networks that are in operation nearby.  There is a newer pay version out now that does.  For $20 its worth buying.  If you look at the back of the modem, you will see the default wifi network details.  Using inSSIDer, you can check the display for those networks.  They should not be present on the display, indicating that the modem is not transmitting any wifi networks.  While you're there, you can determine what the best channel might be.  The 2.4 Ghz band might be a write-off if its really crowded.  If you're stuck having to use that band, all you can do is choose a channel that presents the least amount of interference from neighboring modems and routers.  The same applies to the 5 Ghz band, but I suspect that you will see that the 5 Ghz band is far less crowded.  For the operating channel select channel 149 or higher as the allowable power output is higher for the upper channels, which results in a better signal to noise ratio at both ends of the network and therefore, higher data rates when all is said and done.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

If you look at the back of the modem, specifically the connect port LED you should see that its amber in colour, which indicates a 1 Gb/s connection with the RT-AC68U.  A green colour indicates a 10/100 mb/s connection.  The LED should be amber as both modem and RT-AC68U have gigabit ports.  The only reason it would be green would be due to the ethernet cable, which would either be damaged in some fashion or not connecting properly at either end.  There are older "fast" ethernet cables hanging around that in reality only support 100 Mb/s as it only uses two out of the 4 cable pairs internal to the ethernet cable.

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9313, very interesting.  Released sometime yesterday.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to do that sometime today.

For the RT-AC68U, navigate to the Wireless.... Professional Tab.  Select the 2.4 Ghz network and enable the following:

Turbo QAM

Explicit Beamforming

Universal Beamforming

Select Apply and then select the 5 Ghz network at the top of the selections and for the 5 GHz band select:

802.11ac Beamforming

Universal Beamforming

Select Apply and select the General Tab.  With the 5 Ghz still selected in the list, select:

20/40/80 Mhz in the Channel Bandwidth so that the router can run as wide a channel as possible. 

Select Apply and then select the 2.4 Ghz Band at the top and select:

20/40 Mhz for the Channel Bandwidth.   

Select Apply. 

Depending on what you see in the inSSIDer display, it may or may not be possible to run 40 Mhz wide channels in the 2.4 Ghz band.  If the band is very crowded then there co-channel required to run 40 Mhz wide channels will not be available and the router will simply note that the co-channel is occupied and run a 20 mhz wide channel.  Can't do anything about that as its simply due to the fact that the 2.4 Ghz band has far too many users for what it was designed for.

If you haven't done it already, start at the top of the left hand menu items and disable any feature that you know you aren't using.  Select AI Protection ..... Network Protection (all sub-selections) for use and run the Router Security Assessment Scan as well.  That Trend Micro check for infected web sites does work, so I do recommend using it. 

Ok, thats it for now.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, run the RT-AC68U for your wireless.  If you don't need the ethernet ports on the modem, run it in Bridge mode which turns it into a modem only and use the router for everything.  That is what I and several others do, with the exact same router.  The router will give you much higher wifi speeds than what you can achieve with the Hitron modem.  If you run 802.11ac networks, the router supports beamforming, which is part of the 802.11ac protocol, the Hitron modem does not. 

To kick the modem into Bridge mode, log into the modem, navigate to BASIC.... GATEWAY FUNCTION and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot automatically into Bridge mode.  While the reboot is ongoing connect the router with its power turned off.  Once the modem has finished its reboot into Bridge mode you will see four solid lights running on the front of the modem.  Below those four you will see a little pc symbol that will start to flash when you power up the router.  The pc LED should actually be blue instead of green, yet another firmware bug. 

To log back into the modem when its in Bridge mode and the router is connected and running, with a pc or laptop connected to the router, use 192.168.100.1 to navigate to the Modems Web interface.  You can log in thru that address without having to disconnect anything in your network.

If this is a new modem, it might have firmware version 4.4.8.14 loaded.  The next version is V4.5.8.16.  The base version is problematic for latency, online gaming, VOIP devices and VPNs.  It takes 48 to 72 hours to load the next version which resolves those issues, so for that period of time you might find that you can't do much beyond simple web cruising.

The latest firmware for the RT-AC68U is ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9135   That version supports QOS operation with the NAT Acceleration enabled.  NAT Acceleration is found under LAN...... SWITCH CONTOL.   Previous versions of firmware were not compatible with the NAT Acceleration and would disable it if QOS was selected.  Note that NAT Acceleration is actually Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding, which should be considered as WAN port to LAN port forwarding for lack of a better explanation.  It is not compatible with a number of functions including Traffic Monitoring.  Any function that requires the processor to do something with, or to the data can drop the router throughput significantly when you are running the 100/10 or 250/10 Mb/s internet service, so your choice becomes run the router for speed, with the majority of functions disabled, or run the router for its many functions and accept the throughput drop. 

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around
Great answers... There are some of the things in your answer that I will have to read up and understand but got the gist.. Thank you for the prompt answer.

If you need any help with the router please let me know.  The best thing to do is to go through the router settings page by page, and for those items that you are not specifically using, disable them so that you don't have functions (not in use) running in the background, chewing up CPU time.  Leave the firewall up of course, and Enable the AI Protection.... Network Protection (all sub-components).  If you haven't run an update for a while, try the built in update to see if it picks up version 3.0.0.4.378.9135   The updates bring the OpenSSL library up to date as well, which is important these day.

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to confirm to log into the router i use http://192.168.0.1/ right ? 

When i use this it says page cannot be loaded. 

hmm, it should work.  Are you switching modems here?  Are you running the modem in bridge mode?  If the modem is in Gateway mode (its normal mode) it will have the 192.168.0.1 address.  If the router is connected after that it will have an address which has been assigned by the modem.  To determine that, with a laptop or pc connected to the router, bring up a command prompt, and type:

ipconfig/all

In the second data group is the "Default Gateway" IP Address.  Use that to get to the routers web interface.

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

Nope.. I have only this modem in house. I have not hooked up the asus router yet either.... 

I am on the network via the modem

Edit : i am going to try the rogers usb key and see if that will help 

nope, don't do that.  I managed to bork a serviceable modem with that key.  So, my advice from that point is to throw it out.

If you have a direct connection to the modem you can use 192.168.0.1   Normally you would use 192.168.0.1 with a direct connection to any modem or router, and in this case, with the Hitron modem running in Gateway mode, although as I indicated 192.168.100.1 also works.  The 192.168.100.1 address is normally used with the Hitron CGN3ACSMR when its running in Bridge mode with a router connected to it, and a pc or laptop connected to the router.  The CGN3 lost the ability to use 192.168.100.1 with the last firmware update.  The CGN3AC, I don't know if it will use 191.168.100.1 or not.

Can you confirm what modem you have, just as a check.  On the back of the modem is the product sticker, which should read CGN3, CGN3AC, or CGN3ACSMR.

D'uh.  (silly me), ok.  The problem is the address.  No "http://"  just  192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

It is CGN3ACSMR.

I tried the key even before i saw ur reply.. Still says cannot connect. 

While the key was working, it disconnected my wifi

I guess I will have to reset the modem and try tomorrow.. 

look at my comments above.  There is no "http" component to the address.  Just 192.168.0.1   or  192.168.100.1  entered into the address bar of the web browser.  When you connect, it will bring up the login page.

And just to check the gateway address with the pc connected and running, bring up a command prompt, and type:

ipconfig/all

In the second data group is the "Default Gateway" IP Address.  Use that to get to the modem's web interface.  It should read 192.168.0.1

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

The default gateway address is 192.168.0.1

I only type these values into the web browser but still cannot connect

hmm, grrr. very strange.  It should work.  Do you have any web browser blocker running that might prevent a conection to the address? 

Did you check the gateway address by using the command prompt?

You can also ping the address to see if its correct.  Bring up a command prompt and type:  ping 192.168.0.1

If you see the ping respone that proves that the modem's web interface is where we think it is, and shows that its probable that the browser is blocking the address

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

Capture.PNG

yes. that info was from cmd

Cant' see that graphic as a mod has to approve it.  Was 192.168.0.1 listed as the Gateway Address?  Have a look at my comments above.

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

yes it is default gateway is 192.168.0.1

however it is not in the second group but 4th group under " wireless lan adaptor wi-fi " 

the ping is working... it shows sent packages 4 , received 4, lost 0 

ah, ok, you're running on wifi.  If you ping 192.168.0.1 are you getting a response? 

All I can think of is a browser issue. If you had a previous modem and accessed it through a bookmark for example or the address was stored in the browser history, and this is a new modem, the interface page address will be different.  The browser will take the 192.168.0.1 component and add what it wants to, whereas it should read:  http://192.168.100.1/login.html

Also try  192.168.100.1/login.html

Try that address and see it it works.  It it doesn't, I'm out of ideas, and you might have to bite the bullet and factory reset the modem 😞

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

the ping is working... it shows sent packages 4 , received 4, lost 0 

ok, so the address is correct.  Have a look at my comments just above that I added.  I know that Noscript doesn't like the linked address.  Thats an add-on for Firefox.

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

I tired the address u listed in different browsers and still not working.. 

I will factory reset the modem tmw and see 

Thank you for the suggestions

grrr, sorry to hear that, but thats exactly what I do when a modem or router won't respond to the web address.

Phonepeople
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies. 

So I decided to reset the modem. 

Now I am able to login. 

I followed ur instructions to set up the bridge mode. 

Everything went great. However I noticed few things 

1- I turned off the gateway function but the 2.4Ghz icon is still on. 

2- The internet speeds have come down significnatly... Checked with speed test . I am on the ignite 100 but now getting only 50 speeds.  ( Connected via asus router and not directly via the rogers modem ) 

3- Interestingly asus released a firmware for ac68u ,  3.0.0.4.378.9313 . They added some more features. 

I am going to update the router and then reset modem once more and do some more tests. 

Edit : The slow internet was my just my surfacebook.. Tested on surface pro and my nexus and both are showing great speeds. 

Looks like everything except the turned on 2.4ghz icon is the pending issue. 

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 in conversation