Rogers CGN3 Router Wireless Connection Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knewbury
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers CGN3 Router Wireless Connection Problems

Hello Gang, 

Have been searching for answers but haven't found any yet. I just upgraded to Fibre Wire 250 with the Hitron CGN3 router and while I can get my laptops to work wirelessly.  I have not been able to get my HP wireless printers to connect or be recognized by the computers.

My latest printer, HP 7520 recognizes and joins the network, however my computers notably the mac doesn't even see the printer on the network. While the Toshiba sees it, but outside of pictures, prints any thing out in lines or gobblygook. 

Any help would be appreciated. I do consider myself semi literate in setting this stuff up, and have never run into this type of issue before. Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers CGN3 Router Wireless Connection Problems

Yeah, that is one option.

You can get the 3rd party router.. and put it in BRIDGED mode.  This will turn the CNG3 into a modem only.

You can also still let the CGN3 be the ROUTER, just not do the wireless, and have a router just act as an ACCESS POINT

(this can be benificial if you still need/want to use the ports on the cgn3)

Just make sure you get one that has GIGABIT WAN/LAN ports on it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some people have found there have been issues with getting the HP printers wirelessly..

Silly questions, but just checking...
You obviously joined the printer already.. you re-added it on the PC/MAC too? (need to re add/point the printer drivers to its new location, etc)

How long ago did you upgrade?  I think some had it partialy resloved when the modem was updated to the latest firmware.. this can take 3-5 days from its install.

You can check by logging into the modem, and looking on the first page.. should be at 4.3.4.2

----

I do have HP printers, working wirelessly.. so i know its not something on the CNG3 BLOCKING the printing, etc..

But in my case, i am also using a 3rd party router for my wireless, not the CGN3.. so its possible its something in the CNG3 wireless specifically.

knewbury
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Gdkitty, and there are no silly questions. haha. 

yes, I did re-add them. Now (naturally) I think there is something on the mac os mavericks that is compounding the problem.

One thing at a time.

Was thinking of getting a third party router to see if that would help bypass the issue as I did see that seems to have assisted others when they had issues with this modem/router.

I'll let you know what happens. thanks.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, that is one option.

You can get the 3rd party router.. and put it in BRIDGED mode.  This will turn the CNG3 into a modem only.

You can also still let the CGN3 be the ROUTER, just not do the wireless, and have a router just act as an ACCESS POINT

(this can be benificial if you still need/want to use the ports on the cgn3)

Just make sure you get one that has GIGABIT WAN/LAN ports on it.

View solution in original post

zachdrenters
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, long post incoming.  Any help is appreciated.  

I am subscribed to the Roger's student plan (50mbps down - unlimited usage) and have a Hitron CGN3 as my router.  I am having problems with the wireless connection.  Our ethernet connection has been flawless so far but due to restrictions in our building, the ethernet ports in our individual rooms are inaccesible.   This restricts us to the main room for reliable internet access unless we were to run 50 foot cables from the router throughout the apartment.  Our wireless speed in the farthest room (less than 30 feet) has often been as low as 2mbps down and 1.3mbps upload.  I have done some research into optimizing wireless speed and have found few results.  We are currently running on the 2.4ghz frequency because: a) we were informed by the installation crew that the 2.4ghz and 5ghz could not be run simultaneously; and b) Many of our devices do not have 5ghz capability.  If anyone has any knowledge or experience pertaining to slow wireless speed on the CGN3 any input would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Ok, to start, the CGN3 has no problem running both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks simultaneously. So, if any of your room mates have 5 Ghz capable devices, set up a 5 Ghz network, shift them over to it and have them run a few speedtests to determine if they do in fact see any improvement.

You probably have a few issues to deal with, such as.

1. If you are in a dorm, or apartment the building is probably comprised of concrete and steel, not very conducive to wifi devices.

2. On top of that, assuming that you are close to a university or college, or in a dorm, there will be a lot of wifi interference from nearby routers.

3. The CGN3 does not have steller wifi performance, however, the same can be said of any wifi router that has internal antenna.

4. Shifting up to a 5 Ghz network is not guaranteed to improve the situation as a 5 Ghz wifi signal does not have as much range as the 2.4 Ghz signal, but it will hopefully get you out of the traffic jam on the 2.4 Ghz frequency range.

You should have a look at the wifi environment that you are in by using inSSIDer. This is a wifi monitoring application that graphically illustrates your wifi router power levels and the power levels of nearby wifi routers. This application can be downloaded from here:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

If you load this on a 5 Ghz capable laptop or pc, you can see both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that are running nearby that might cause issues with your networks. Once you have a look at that you might end up deciding that cables are actually the best way to go. It all depends on what the situation looks like. This is the last freebie version of inSSIDer and it covers both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands. It has since become a pay application which supports 802.11ac. Should you decide to go 802.11ac, its worth buying the new version to determine what the ac environment around you looks like.

zachdrenters
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for the clarification, I'll be sure to take a look at the app you provided.  

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

After you have a look at the wifi environment with inSSIDer, you will know what you’re up against. If you move around the apartment it takes at least two to three minutes for the numbers to settle out when you stop moving. There are a few ways to deal with the wifi range. One is to buy a good third party router that would be used to support the wifi networks. You could use the laptop or pc wifi receivers with that or, possibly couple that with another router at the other end of the apartment so that you have good point to point connectivity via wifi. The router connecting to the CGN3 must be gigabit port equipped for both the WAN and LAN ports and it must also have external antenna. The second is to use a Wifi Range Extender or possibly Powerline adapters. The Wifi Range Extender receives on one frequency from the CGN3 and then runs a secondary network on a different frequency, which allows you to extend the overall reach of the network. That might be problematic if you are in a congested 2.4 Ghz area. The powerline adapter uses the electrical wiring within the building to distribute ethernet data.

You could also consider a couple of things to do.   The first is to relocate the CGN3 to someplace that is central to the apartment. That depends on where the cable outlets are located. If you can do that, it might just give you enough range throughout the whole apartment, or possibly you can couple that move with installation of a third party wifi router to support your wifi networks. That also depends on what is directly connected to the CGN3, which might determine whether or not you can move it. The second, prior to buying a good third party router is to test one out. If you know of anyone who has a good router, see if you could borrow it for a quick test. None of the settings on the router or your laptops need changing. First you would need to note the CGN3 wifi power levels at the furthest reaches of the apartment using inSSIDer. Then turn off the CGN3 wireless completely and connect the borrowed router to the CGN3. You don’t need to know the network passphrase as all you are going to do is look at the power levels at the same locations to determine if that particular router does provide any substantial power gain at the same locations. So, all you need to know is the network name that the router is broadcasting. It would be useful to be able to run a speed test, so if you could borrow a router, ask if the owner will change the passphrase for a quick test. It never hurts to ask.  That should take about 10 minutes or less to fire it up, aim the router down the hall and have a look at the numbers. Rotate the router 90 degrees to see if you end up with better endfire performance from the antennas.  If that particular router is going to be useful, you should see the network name pop up to the top of the list on the inSSIDer network list.  Once you determine what the power levels and possibly the speed test results look like, you can make an educated decision about investing in a better router.

Oorteal
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there another type of router that I can get from Rogers?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're on a high speed plan you will need one of the Hitron CGN3 series modems.  There are three that are used, the CGN3, CGN3AC, and CGN3ACSMR.  The CGN3ACSMR had a firmware update in June to resolve issues with online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and latency to and thru the modem.  The other modems don't have the same issues with games, devices and VPNs but do suffer from latency to and thru the modems.  They have not received the same firmware treatment as the CGN3ACSMR.  

For the lower tier plans there is the Cisco DPC-2835  and the Hitron CGN2.

You have a CGN3 now and are experiencing wifi issues I presume?  Note that none of the above combo modem / routers have strong wifi performance.  If wifi is an important issue, consider buying a good third party router and run the modem in Bridge mode.