Rogers Billing of Web Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Rogers Billing of Web Usage

This is the second time I've noticed this in about three years. It may be happening more frequently, but I haven't noticed.

The other day I got a notification that we had hit 75% of usage. So I checked and saw that roughly halfway through our billing period we had already used 67 gig of data. This seemed excessive. I checked day-to-day and saw 2 days that spiked at over 13 gig (1 day was over 19). So I checked the previous months and saw we went from 30-45 gig from June to September to 65 in October and 68 in November. We have no new devices and everyone is doing pretty much what they've always done. I called Rogers and three people later spoke to a tech(?) who said we were probably using more than we thought, like Netflix and Youtube. We don't watch Netflix and I asked how many hours of Youtube would equal even 1 gig of data. The tech(?) told me 1 hour of Youtube equals 1 gig. I just checked somewhere and saw that it would take at least 6 hours of watching Youtube to equal 1 gig.

Which is right?

I intend contacting the CRTC.

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Billing of Web Usage

for youtube usage, it depends on the quaility of the video, if you set it to 720 or even 1080p, you could burn through the 1gb with in a half hour, keep in mind, depending on what kind of devices and what your doing with them, usage will very, for instance computers, download updates to your security programs a couple times a day, as well as any gaming people do, games these days are rather large, some of mine come up to 30gbs, if people in your house are gamers and all of their games are digital, that would explain some of it, plus game patches. Then their is the online gaming that people could be doing, that can use bandwidth too. on top of that, if someones computer becomes infected those can be used to send out 10000s of emails and who knows what else, which could eat up your bandwidth. I think it was a year or 2 ago, a network of computers used for the purpose of spam, used 300gb in I think it was a day.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Youtube can be a BIG culprit sometimes.

1g for 1hr, might be a little high, but not that far off in some cases.

And that doesnt mean that your watching habits have changed.. you may only watch say 2 hours of youtube.
But the difference as Jay21317 mentioned, is that the CONTENT may be higher quality.. which equates to bigger downloads.

Even though you watch the video in the little screen... and a low quality vs a HD one may not look any different there on screen, when full screen, etc would be.  Regardless how you watch it, its downloading that FULL size worth of video.
(there is one guy i watch ocassionaly.. who is doing his stuff in 4k quality now.. its NUTS how much it consumes)

I'm an Enthusiast

My kids don't play games online. We don't have any viruses. We don't use Netflix or torrents. We watch short videos on Youtube. I watch old sports videos on Youtube, and I mean old. Four months in a row (The record doesn't go back any farther) we used 44, 36, 46, and 33 gig. Then it jumped to 65 and 68 gig. Some days there's hardly anyone home. We're doing nothing different. I'm hearing from others that Rogers' usage counters are sometimes out-of-whack and I've even seen it mentioned on here. We've already reached 68+ gigs (13G in one day 19G on another) and the billing period is only about halfway through.

As I said, this happened before and the CSR at the time admitted that others had complained and the problem was at Rogers end. They turned our counter back somehow. Not this time though. The tech said it must be someone tapping into our secure network. Is this some kind of ploy to get people to upgrade/pay more to increase their max usage?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible... but not necessarily.

I find mine pretty much bang on accurate month to month.

I have multiple devices in the home.. some connected 24/7 (like my server, etc).  Unless i am conneccting to it, my server doesnt communicate much out, etc.
On 2 weekends ago, i was away from the house all weekend from fri morn, till late sun eve.  The average usage for those days, was aprox 45 mb.. which is quite reasonable, based on basic network things which may be going on from the server and other connected devices which may be doing minor internet checks, etc.

I'm an Enthusiast

According to Rogers themselves:Each of these activities represents just one gigabyte of usage:

View 3,500 Web pages OR
Receive up to 500 digital photos OR
Download more than 200 songs

We apparently used over 1.5 gig yesterday and did nothing even close to what they describe.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really the only test you can do, to make sure its nothing your end (and also will give you proof to bring to rogers otherwise)..

Is start with nothing.  Do a day, of ZERO things connected.  Wireless off on the gateway/router.. everything unplugged wired from it, etc.
Make sure, it reports ZERO for that day.

Then a day at a time.. keep adding a device.. and see if its a BIG jump up..

If the first one is a big jump.. try the next day with a different one.. see if the same big jump.
Then you know, any device on, is reporting way to much.
If day by day, a device only brings it up a little, till you get to one.. that one, may be the culprit.

I am not saying this in defense of rogers... its possible there is a metering issue.

I am just trying to post it, as process of elimination.  Working in IT, without sometimes having the higher end networking stuff which you can meter port by port... its the same thing i have done professionaly many times.

I'm an Enthusiast

Thanks. We did nothing much the last three days and got this: 589, 491, and 1,449G.

I wasted my time talking to techs and service managers who claim it must be us so I've escalated it to the office of the president. There is just no way we used 19G in one day. Even they admit you'd need to be: Watching over 70 hours of SD streaming video online OR Watching 18 hours of HD streaming video online OR Downloading 10 HD videos to reach 20G.

If it turns out to be them, they won't admit it.

The IT guy said it might be a faulty modem. Is that likely? Three or four spikes a month?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just out of curiosity how many devices do you actually have in your home using the internet, Once you have that number I suggest logging into the modem, and checking to see, how many devices are actually connected, if its more then in your house, then someone is tapping into it.
I'm an Enthusiast

@jay21317 wrote:
Just out of curiosity how many devices do you actually have in your home using the internet, Once you have that number I suggest logging into the modem, and checking to see, how many devices are actually connected, if its more then in your house, then someone is tapping into it.

On a fairly regular basis no more than two. We have two smartphones with separate 3g networks. So two PCs.