cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Bandwidth Caps vs Grandfathered Package vs Price

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

When I signed up with Rogers Extreme was the highest package they offered with 10Mbit DL and 1Mbit UL and a 95GB Cap which all cost $59.99. Now as a Rogers CSR has informed me even though my Price has been increased to $61.99 with their March price increase I am still only receiving 10DL and 1UL and 95GB allowance.

Now the problem is not my Speed im fine with 10:1 for the time being but what is becoming a problem is my bandwidth, im reaching my 95 GB cap and getting charged overages even though im within the 120GB limit of the current Extremem package. I tried to upgrade my package to the current version of Extreme but the Rogers CSR said i would have to purchase a new modem from them.

Any way i could have my package upgraded with just more bandwidth allowcation ? I mean if Rogers does not want to upgrade my Package Speeds due to me having a DOC2 Motorola Surfboard Modem i would glady accept just the extra 25 GB of Bandwidth which i am paying for reguardless of when i signed up with them. Untill of course they desicde to either let the consumer use a wider range of DOC3 Modems or start selling a standalone decent modem without the intergrated router.

I just can't really justify spending $200 for the Cisco (Not wanting to use SMC) for just 25 extra GB of bandwidth.

***edited labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rogers Bandwidth Caps vs Grandfathered Package vs Price

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The answer, quite simply is NO. We all know that the usage allowance is not tied to what type of modem you have. Also, the D2 modems are certainly capable of higher speeds than 10 Mbps. But Rogers is being extremely stubborn on this issue and they will not give you the new plans for Extreme or Express unless you upgrade to one of their lousy D3 modems. Also FYI, you need not purchase a D3 modem - they can also be rented. Of course the monthly rental is $7, instead of the $4 fee being charged for the D2 modem.

IHR is correct, you can rent the modem, if you so chose to.. which will give you the increased bandwidth.. but he is correct on the other means.. why rogers is doing this? who knows.. but thats how it is, if you want the increase that way.

Now.. just prior to the price increase, i did get something from rogers in the mail.. i wish i had kept it.  It showed the price increases across the board.
For just about ALL packages, it showed a +5g +10g +20g to just about all the account levels.. there were able to pay an ammount to just add that much extra usage for X amount extra per month.  Weither this is something they have droped all together now.. i am not sure.. i would call band and ask about just adding usage and how much it would cost.

Now though.. its likely that the 10g, will be something like $10 a month.. so if you are renting the modem already, to pay $3 more for the increased rental.. the other modem is a better idea.  but if you are buying the modem.. the other way may be better.

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the extra information, i called Rogers and the CSR i spoke to said the she never heard of bandwidth addons so unfortunatly it looks like they no longer offer it or that the specific CSR that i spoke to just didn't know. Though from some experance with Rogers CSR's i could believe that it might have just been that 1 CSR so i may call back and see if i get the same responce just to be sure.

Currently im not renting my modem from Rogers and i don't like the idea of renting. But do i have to purchase the DOC3 Modem from Rogers or can i buy it elseware. I know that Rogers isn't accepting almost any modems but the specific 2 they offer but could i purchase the exact model they would sell me from someone else for cheaper ?

Thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
They might but it might be the same fight others have had with the other modems, since the ones from Rogers have their own custom firmware on them

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Custom Firmware courtesy of Rogers doesn't sound too appealing, precisely a reason for one to buy their own router.

Thanks for the info

Twam

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

most people put it into bridged mode anyways.. so it never really using anything on there.

Anyways.. around the net, average  price seems to be 116us aprox.  I would just make sure you get it from a place you could return it to, just incase you have an issue with getting it connected.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation