Rogers Anyplace Home Edition App ... Can Schedule on 8642 PVR!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Anyplace Home Edition App ... Can Schedule on 8642 PVR!!!

While it is awesome that this service is up and running but is anyone else miffed that if you want to stream content (live or recorded) from your PVR to a tablet that it counts against your Internet data cap?

It just seems very inefficent from a network standpoint to take content that is local to me and have to send it out over the net and then send it right back to me and then rack up my data usage in the process?  The box has an ethernet connector, can it not be enabled, I connect it to my local network, and then stream the content straight from the box and also have the box connect to Rogers HQ so you can program it from anywhere?

I seem to remember reading that the streaming is only supposed to work if you are at home though I'm not entirely sure how they track that.  Seeing as the data doesn't ever need to leave the Rogers network content streaming from the PVR should not be counted towards your total download.  As always, they could put some measure in place to cut back on people streaming 24/7 or a seperate data cap for streamed content.  Something like X GB of Internet and X GB of PVR streaming.

Just my two cents,

Bullzie

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Actually, if i understood correctly, the App only works via Rogers internet, which generally means I have to be home to stream content on the iPad?

But if I'm already home, why would I pass up a large screen TV for a smaller one? My eyesight ain't getting any better!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was wondering about that too. If I can only watch within the house that already has 3 flat screens, why have it at all? Suppose it would work if you say, wanted to watch 'The National' while you soak in the tub Smiley Very Happy

I agree with Bullzie, access over your own local network makes a lot more sense! If limited to your own cable connection, then it doesn't really have much value. No more than say, using the remote on the iPad app to change channels which practically sends a request around the world and back to get your change channel signal over the the PVR 5 feet away.

So far I can see 3 great uses for the iPad app.

1) Record a show I forgot to schedule while I am away on the road (and/or make room if it is getting full).

2) Turn off the PVR downstairs should my wife get up in the middle of the night, go downstairs to watch a bit of tv, then falls asleep. Now if I wake up and hear the squawk of the TV downstairs, I can simply grab the iPad and turn the PVR off from the bedroom Smiley Very Happy

3) Us the search function with the virtual keyboard to find programs rather than using the antiquated single letter search on the 8300 or the scroll up down and all around typing letters on the Nextbox.

Guess I should add #4.... watching TV from the bath tub.

The guide on the app is faster to scroll through than using the Guide on the Nextbox (super slow) but since the app shows all channels its pretty much useless.

What ever happened to that Nextbox ad they used to show that featured the guy running around the house watching the same show on more than one TV? Now THAT was a useless feature!

Can someone confirm that Live TV is only accessible from within your own home? Has anyone tried it elsewhere?

Also as Speedy1701 mentioned, does the app only work from your home network? Does this mean I can't control the PVR if I am outside the house to schedule a recording?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi.

You can schedule a recording away from home.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Speedy1701 wrote:
Hi.

You can schedule a recording away from home.

Correct, I sit here at work, on a BELL network, on wifi to my phone, and have been able to set up recordings.

I think its only the TV watching part, that requires the rogers network.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:
You only have one box? The 8642, no HD boxes? That likely is it.

When the app wasn't fully working that's how it showed mine. Try fully killing the app, the re open. Could also try the account refresh button in settings in the app

Not sure what you mean by an HD box?  My box is an 8642HD - i only have the one box. 

Have killed the app, have refreshed.  Not working on my iPad or iPhone. Oh well, seemed like a nice idea. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello digiSara

The HD box is a 4642 box. This box is JUST a HD Cable box. This is what GDkitty ment.

I was reading threw the Apple community forums & i have seen around 20+ customers having this same issue with the app. No one could have answered with help tho. 😞
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe try removing the app to erase the data, then add it back? In case something local is corrupt.
Mine did that on the first day, but has pulled the correct names ever since.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The iPad app seems to be working better now. I no longer get connected to the mystery persons PVR and response is decent.

Managing and selecting recorded programs is a lot more user friendly then the crapping system on the Nextbox.

All the dam 'You don't subscribe to this channel, better call 613-911-bla bla bla' is REAL annoying though. If they can add a few lines of code to allow us to turn off the hundreds of channels that we don't get and will never get, I'll be happy and might offer Rogers a pat on the back 🙂

Rogers should be compensating us for being Alpha testers. Won't be long however before it can move on to the beta testing program, then it should be ready for its official launch to subscribers sometime around the spring of 2013 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am getting an unavailable this morning when I check my PVR. The rest of the apps features are working fine!