Rogers Anyplace Home Edition App ... Can Schedule on 8642 PVR!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Anyplace Home Edition App ... Can Schedule on 8642 PVR!!!

It's still not finding my 8642 PVR. It just lists a box called unavailable"

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You only have one box? The 8642, no HD boxes? That likely is it.

When the app wasn't fully working that's how it showed mine. Try fully killing the app, the re open. Could also try the account refresh button in settings in the app

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Got the app working last night for a while.

Currently it only sees one of our PVRs (the Nextbox doesn't show up tonight), but its not actually not even ours! The recorded shows and scheduled shows is obviously from someone elses box as we never watch Gilmore GIrls or NCIS: Los Angeles Smiley Tongue I hope the person doesnt mind that I scheduled a recording of Michael Buble's Christmas special along with a fine episode of Spongbob / Mr Square Pants for good measure!

Does this mean someone else might by mistake be connected to our box and delete our scheduled records and/or recordings?

When I did have the app working for a bit last night (both PVRs showed), I was impressed that they had the right idea, however they forgot to put much into the exection. Did anybody try to use it for the purpose it was intended for?

Firstly if you search for a show using the keypad (finally!) you are given a list of showtimes for which you can select and record a show in the future. The problem is that they neglect to even show you what channel it is! (I am aware of the crappy low resolution channels that I would'nt bother recording off of). Below the info on a showing you have selected to record, they do show the channel numbers of the other showings, just not the one you chose. And of course you are presented with a list of ALL channels for which the show is on, not just the ones you subscribe too. So you have to try one, get the error message that you don't subscribe to the channel, then try another on the list. Come on Rogers this is pathetic! Just show results for channels we get!

Why not mark any on the list which will conflict with other recordings as well. This is very very simple stuff to implement. Instead we get the usual conflicting recordings message. So, in the end, trying to schedule a recording can be a tedious task rather than a simple one.

The guide was very slow to update as well but seems a bit better tonight.

While on the issue of the guide on the app, once again we are forced to see 1,000 channels rather than the ones we subscribe too. To me this means that the guide is totally useless. I am NOT going to scroll through a guide of 1,000 entries. You can't even page up to, say the 500's. You have to swip your finger a good 25 times to get up there. Ready... TOTALLY USELESS. Have the programmers never seen other apps that provide an index besides the list to quickly get to a specific range? Come on this stuff has been around for sometime now.

The HUGE remote screen provides some of the important buttons however there is no fast forward/reverse. Why not?? So you need to use both your mobile phone/iPad plus the rogers 64 button remote to use the app????

Why does this format just for phones and not tablets??? This has the potential of being a great app on the iPad. Give the task over to someone... like the techs at Apple (or any other good app builder) and maybe we'll have a solution that is usable.

And we do we get a bunch of 'Whats New' screen everytime the app starts up?

Another issue with the search function is that some shows are missing. Was doing some random testing and noticed some shows don't show up at all. For example 'Honey Boo Boo' (No I do NOT watch it! lol). Everthing else I tried seemed to work... Maybe Rogers is boycotting 'Honey Boo Boo' ha ha.

There is so much Rogers could do to improve hardware and software across the board. In the case of their apps, hopefully they hire some real app coders to take over their app development.

PS. While writing this post I have been playing with the app. Sometimes I am seeing my PVR, sometimes somebody elses. Anybody else have that problem?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unplugged the PVR that I could not get to schedule recordings and now it works fine.

campadk: although I seldom find myself defending Rogers, I want to point out that:

1-  when I search, the results show the channel it is playing on.

2-  I have it installed on my ipad as well. It is different than the one for the iPhone as it is designed specifically for the iPad.

So far, not too shabby.

P.S. The remote does include Fast Forward and Rewind. You just need to swipe down a bit on the remote. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Efferrier,

Thanks for the info! Not sure how I ended up with the iPhone version. It appeared when I updated the Rogers Anyplace TV app I ended up with the 'Home Edition' iphone app version instead of the 'Home Edition' iPad app. That version does not show the channel number of a show you select from search results and has the issues I mentioned above. Oddly they call it generically 'Home Edition' which isn't a useful name for an App. At least 'Anyplace TV' was recognizable and the icon for that app included the Rogers Logo.

I download the iPad version and I must say this is MUCH better. There isn't an issue with scrolling through the guide on the iPad, and the channel number does show up on a selected show I 'attempt' to record.

The iPad version does still have some of the other issues I mentioned:

1) You are still forced to see all 1,000 channels in the guide so you get lots of GENERAL ERROR messages if you try to select a program on the guide which is on a channel that you don't subscribe too (no I don't remember which 80 or so channels that I do subscribe too). This would be such a simple option to add to the Settings window and would reduce a lot of frustration using the guide.

2) When attempting to record a show you still have to use trial and error to record a show by selecting a channel you actually subscribe too.

3) I can change channels on my own PRV using the iPad app... sometimes. Sometimes I get a GENERAL ERROR: Service is currently unavailable window.

4) I can try to play a previously recorded show, the window will sporatically change however showing either a lists of recorded programs which are actually on my PRV, or alternatively show a list of recorded programs that is on someone elses PVR (no idea whos PVR it is). I get a REMOTE CONTROL ERROR message if the recorded program is on the other persons PVR. If the list shows my own recordings then I am able to play one of them. I have to go back to the 'MY PVR' window and back to try to fool the app into showing the correct list of recorded programs however. It randomly switches between my PVR and somebody else PVR. If I try to record a program, it ends up randomly being scheduled on my PVR or the other persons PVR. This person might be getting really frustrated with their box about now!

5) Only sees one of my boxes (Nextbox doesn't work today but did yesterday).

Can't figure out why they would show only half of the virtual remote and require you to swip to show the rest of it. There is lots of screen realestate. Annoying but I can live with it. Thanks for mentioning that Efferrier.

So if they can address the reliability issue, all the GENERAL ERROR messages, all the annoyances showing 800+ channels we don't get and finally let me control just my PVRs, not someone elses, that would be great! 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you haven't already, go to the settings page, you can turn off the what's new from there.

Your other box it set up in your house as whole home pvr? Not sure of others will show up otherwise, but I could be wrong.

As for seeing the other persons pvr. Must be loading someone else's account?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty,

I am logged in under my own account. The other persons PVR just keeps popping up sporatically if I have our downstairs 8300 selected.

After fiddling around and unplugging the upstairs Nextbox again last night, this morning both our PVR's are finally showing up.

I get endless GENERAL_FAILURE notices when I try to access recorded/scheduled programs on the Nextbox however, but I can change a channel, alas very very slowwwlly.

I just tried again just now, and I could see my recordings on the Nextbox for a few seconds, then I get a GENERAL_FAILURE popup, and the recordings disappear. The app does seem to know however that the box is 27% full vs last night when it always showed -1%.

When I select our other PVR (8300) downstairs, the app switches back and forth between showing a list of my PVR's recorded programs/scheduled programs, and showing this other persons PVR. I checked and a few programs I scheduled ended up recording on the other persons PVR. Luckily I get a GENERAL ERROR message if I try to control the other persons PVR lol. It seems to be the same mystery PVR that comes up so perhaps my 8300 and someone elses has the same MAC address? This means however that the app is not really usable for our downstairs PVR as I never know which PVR it is connecting too as it changes back and forth with a mind of its own. The solution might be to take the 8300 back to Rogers and get another one which hopefully eliminates the conflict.

Another odd issue is that when the app does show correctly my listed of scheduled programs to record, I get about a dozen meanless 'Manual Recording' entries that don't make sense. They don't exist either on the PVR. Buggy Buggy buggy!

Only 1/3 of the remote window is viewable at any one time. Really odd why they would do that. This should be configurable under settings at least. The remote however isn't really useable since the delay can be up to 10 seconds to say, move up a channel. They should have really designed the new boxes to work directly over your home network which would have removed all the delays in going out to Rogers over the Internet, through their system and back to the PVR over the cable. I have other electronics that works this way quite well such as my Canon 7D and GoPro Hero, both controllable over wifi with iPad apps. There should be no delays! Guess we all are to used to Google being able to search through billions of pages of information within a 1/10 of a second while millions of other people are doing the same at exactly the same time. Instant is the way the rest of all our other technology works, well except for cable tv. Whats with that? lol

Do others have issues with using the app with their Nextbox's?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When the system is/was slow/buggy that inital night.. i was getting the general failure and the % wrong.  After that time, it seems to have been displaying OK for me.

That ghost machine.. is almost like someone elses is registered to your account or something 😛

If you were in an apartment, i could maybe see something more like this happening.. its odd.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It's been working well for me now for 24 hours!Smiley Surprised  I only have one PVR though- the explorer 8300.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Don't think being in an apartment has anything to do with it (I am in detacted house actually). This 'other persons PVR' could be located anywhere. Could be someone in Monton NB for all we know.