Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

Just curious if anyone knows if there is an actual difference between the two boxes. I know the Nextbox comes in just one flavor while the 8642 came in 3 different ones (160, 320, and 500GB). As far as I know, the 8642 was all the same in terms of everything else. The reason I want to know has to do with the new IPG. Like a lot of people, my experience going from the old to the new IPG was not a good one. Crashes, reboots, crappy CSR service, etc.. However, once I spoke to the right person after being bounced around between 6 people, I was able to switch my 2 year old 8642 for a new Nextbox. Instantly I noticed the difference. The box has not crashed or randomly rebooted once since I picked it up a week ago. So my question has to do with the guts of the box. Does the Nextbox have better goodies inside that make it work better with the new IPG?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

Its the same box. Nothing is.different. The nextbox is the 8642 just comes preloaded with the.new IPG. nothing has changed inside at all. tbe both run the same things

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Its the same box. Nothing is.different. The nextbox is the 8642 just comes preloaded with the.new IPG. nothing has changed inside at all. tbe both run the same things

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thx. But it still makes me wonder why during my Nextbox training, according to the tech that was at my house, and according to 2 CSRs the reboot problem after the IPG update is a "known issue" with the old boxes. Something to do with them not accepting the update properly. That made me think that there might be some small hardware or software differences between the two.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Even my nextbox is having the known issues my 8642HDPVR box is having. Its just not everyone is buying into the nextbox so thats why not a lot of people are having those issues.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its hit and miss..

I am on a 8642, that had the OLD IPG.. have had it for close to a year before the IPG update.. so no where near new. 

I has taken the IPG just fine.  Yes it has some of the stuff like things they should do BETTER with it vs the old one, of course..

BUT it has not had any of the rebooting or some of the other problems that others have reported. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

mousetamer: I have the same question, I also think the reps are told to act like noting is wrong as I asked the guy at the Mclaughlin store in brampton and he has not heard of any issues.

see my post regarding specs...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Those are the same specs that i have on my 8642HDPVR. I have both Nextbox & & the original 8642HDPVR box. Checked both boxes & the same specs came up.

Once i called Rogers cable tech support they told me the same specs are on the boxes. The only thing is that the Next box comes with pre installed new IPG.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The Nextbox (current 8642 PVR with 500GB HDD) does NOT come with the new IPG. You have to order the upgrade from Rogers.

I have just rented a new one this Saturday. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Weird i got the Next box with pre installed IPG. Also that is what the what all the advertisements say.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/Rogers-Nextbox2

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I helped set up my 84 year old neighbor’s new Nextbox last week. It also came with the new IPG. I started going through the menus with her but she wasn’t getting any of it. I told her to try it for a couple of days and I was sure she would get use to it. After spending an hour or so with it myself, I called Rogers and had them change it back to the old IPG. What an over-complicated, bloated piece of crap.