Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

First time here. Sorry if this is not the right place to post my message. I have to decide something before Monday. I phoned Rogers Customer relations yesterday and spoke to a rep to get a new promotion as I've had one every year for a few years now and been with rogers 15 years. The rep told me I have to hand in my present HD box HD4250 (not PVR) which I've been getting free for a few years, but now will be charging me $12.95 a month plus tax or I can take Nextbox pay to own free for a year and $7.50 monthly for 2 years, then buy i cheap. They are going to come Monday to get my old HD box and install Netbox. The changes are going to cost me $23.00 more a month than now and I am on a fixed income and was happy with what I had, but they said they are making changes. Also they do not offer the specialty channels package I now have, and I would have to take another one which cost more. it has more channels but I liked the o nes I had. I agree to the offer but said I am not very happy with it but there seems to be no better alternatives. But thinking about it now, I forgot to ask if I get Netbox, can someone tell me will I be able to record directly from my TV to a DVD blank to keep (not on a hard drive) or do I have to record from the PVR only. If that is the case, I may phone Rogers tomorrow and tell them not to come on Monday and cancel my cable tv and try Bell OR just pay $5.50 a month for a standard cable box.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers 8642 vs Nextbox

The pvr, records only to itself.

You could record the output from it on a DVD recorder, just as you would out of any other digital box (in sd only)

Unfortunately, NO tv provider provides any form of box which goes directly to DVD or similar.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You could record the output from it on a DVD recorder, just as you would out of any other digital box (in sd only)

Unfortunately, NO tv provider provides any form of box which goes directly to DVD or similar.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I think I made a mistake in my post. I phoned Rogers,Customer Service this morning and asked if I was going to get a PVR next Monday or a plain HD terminal. When I talked to the rep in Customers Relations a couple of days ago, he kept saying HD box, but I wanted to make sure he didn't mean a PVR as I don't need or want one. The HD box I have now is model  HD 4250 just plain HD box, not PVR, and it suits me fine except my year promotion is up and Rogers said I couldnt keep the HD box I have now which I was getting free and Rogers want me to get a newer HD box- a rent to Buy. The rep said this morning that I will be getting an HD terminal on Monday not a PVR .On the 4250HD box Ive had for several years, I can record TV programs from my DVD recorder to a DVD blank which I thought goes directly from the TV to the DVD recorder and is what I wan. I think the model I am getting might be HD 4642 which is rent to buy and is just a plain HD terminal -I think one up from the one I have. By the way, can you tell me who I should advise on Community Forums to let them know they sent me an email addressed to someone else on community Forums I guess. Its not my ID on the forums but its my email address. Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, other that likely having the newer guide, etc on it.. the 4642 is correct, NOT a PVR, and only an HD box.

You should be able to do pretty much the SAME setup as you currently have with the old one.

---

as for the miss -email.. i would try one of the moderators.. send them a private message.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah, other that likely having the newer guide, etc on it.. the 4642 is correct, NOT a PVR, and only an HD box.

You should be able to do pretty much the SAME setup as you currently have with the old one.

---

as for the miss -email.. i would try one of the moderators.. send them a private message.

I am not sure if it's a 4642HD or not.  Customer Relations rep just said HD box.The rep this morning from Billing said on the notes from Customer Relations that it it just said HD Terminal -didnt give model number. If it was a PVR, I would think it would say PVR, but I don't know.  Do you think the 4642HD box is as good as the 4250HD which worked fine?

I am not  sure how to set up a private message. I will have to look around. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only current real HD box they send out now, is the 4642. 

All in all the 4642 is a decent box, i have two of them.

The guide change may take some getting used to for you though.

---

Easiest way to PM them.. is to find a posting by one of them, click their name.  On that page, there should be a thing to 'send message'

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

The only current real HD box they send out now, is the 4642. 

All in all the 4642 is a decent box, i have two of them.

The guide change may take some getting used to for you though.

---

Easiest way to PM them.. is to find a posting by one of them, click their name.  On that page, there should be a thing to 'send message'

Maybe it is the 4642HD then. I thought the guide would be similar to the 4250 which I have. I guess I will see. I will see if I can find a Moderator and follow your instructions. It took me a while just to find the page to turn on Private messages. I saw instructions somewhere said there was an Inbox for Private messages but haven't found it yet. Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Your guide:

http://s17.postimg.org/44mxnbqj3/untitled.jpg

New guide:

http://www.connectedrogers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/WWPVR-The-Top-3-Most-Useful-Rogers-Whole-Ho...

Thanks for the two Guide links for 4250 and 4642. The picture on the link of the TV guide for the 4250HD wasn't familar to me right away because I never use that guide. I always use Rogers Channel 5 for program listing, or I look in the paper TV Guide. I was thinking more about the Quick settings menu and extended settings are listed, and wondered if those settings were much the same on the 4642 as the 4250 as I do use them sometimes. Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again different layout, but about 2/3 of the stuff is there.
Depends on what your looking for really