Rogers 6RD Service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers 6RD Service

Hi all,

I'd be interested to see if anyone is successfully using Rogers 6RD service for IPv6 tunneling (details here: http://ipv6.rogers.com/tunneled-ipv6-access/)

I'm pretty sure I have it configured correctly, however it doesn't seem to be working and I'd really rather use that as opposed to my existing IPv6 tunneling service (so at least it's native to my provider)

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rogers 6RD Service

Is any member of the Community able to help LeeBeeJeeBee out with their 6RD service for IPv6 tunneling?

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having problems as well getting the 6rd tunnel working. I used the settings on this page but no luck. I get an ipv6 assigned to my WAN port and compatible device on my LAN, so route advertisement works, but no the ipv6 gateway is reported as down by my router.

For the record I'm using pfSense 2.1 running on an Alix 2d13 box for my router/firewall.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've attempted to set up 6rd tunneling at two different locations with two different routers.  In both cases, I encountered the "wandering" gateway IP problem reported here. At one site I was able to get the tunnel up for stretches of 8 minutes or so by repeatedly changing the router settings to match the 6rd gateway's address each time it shifted.

Rogers support was thoroughly unhelpful—the agent I spoke to refused even to acknowledge that 6rd was a service that Rogers offered despite having the tunnel settings page up on her screen, would not pass me over to a different tier, and refused to report the problem to Rogers IT staff, again insisting that Rogers did not offer IPv6 support of any kind. I find this immensely irritating as this appears to be a fairly simple configuration glitch on Rogers' end, and could presumably be fixed without a great deal of effort.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone had any success getting this running? As far as I can tell the Rogers IPV6 readiness site advertises 6RD but the 6RD service is totally broken. Couldn't make this work either manually configuring it or via an E4500 interface, so I can only conclude it's down / unmaintained. 

Shame... you'd think with all the money Rogers charges they'd have one or two guys interested in future technology willing to pay attention to services they advertise, unsupported or otherwise.

TekSavvy's IPV6 service isn't  "supported" either but I've never had an issue getting a hold of a rep who at least knew what IPV6 was when there was an issue (not that there every really is).

Sigh.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I found that the provider prefix isn't accepted in multiple routers I've had... entered

2607:f090::

instead and it seems to work fine after that.

Essentially making it 2607:f090:0000:0000

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

To the people who seem to have working tunnels: are you not seeing the source address on incoming packets change every few minutes, or do your routers accept protocol 41 packets from anywhere, regardless of their source?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Only just seen this thread...a bit late.

I set up 6RD when the notice from Rogers ( the link shown )  first appeared on the internet and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

I use a Dlink DIR 655 behind a Cisco 3825 in passthrough mode. I had bougth the Dlink earlier specifiaccly because it claimed to support IPV6 out of the box.  I had to update the firmware to version 2.08 for 6RD to treat the clients properly tho'

I followed the Rogers instructions to the letter and it worked first time.

I did set up the V6 DNS as the Google DNS ( but I also used Googles DNS for V4 ). My wired PCs run W7 , Ubuntu 12/13 and they both receive RA packets correctly.

My wireless devices do also except a 6 year old HP printer that does not support V6..

I have an Android phone with Jelly Bean that does IPV6 via wifi ( but not over cellular of course but that is Rogers fault), and Ipad whic does IPV6 and now and an Iphone 5 that also works.

My conclusions are that a) modern devices support V6 well.  and b) Rogers' 6RD is well done.

All I need is Rogers to start on native V6 and I'll be content.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

It could be on the way.  I notice when they (silenty - but that's another issue) reflashed the firmware on my router it introduced IPv6 options.

Wether they support that on the backbone or not is of course a whole other matter.  I'm hoping that this was the first step in getting customers native ipv6

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone have the configuration info handy?  The Rogers web page with that info appears to be missing in action.