Roger trick to force me to get new modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Roger trick to force me to get new modem

Ok, understand the frustration.  Buying a modem and then having to turn around and buy another one.  Unfortunately, and I'm not trying to sound flippant here, that is one of the dangers of buying a modem, trying to crystal ball gaze what the expected lifespan of the modem might be when you do go ahead and make that decision.  Sometimes it will workout in the end and sometimes you might end up regretting the decision.  No way to tell until you're there.

As for the tv channel issue, thats not what we are talking about here, although the two are interrelated.  As Rogers shifts from analogue tv channels to digital channels that frees up frequency space on the cable system.  Call it what you want, discrete frequencies, or data channels, the reference is to a specific frequency (channel), with guard space around it which is used for the purpose of data transmission.  That data could be internet data, tv data (in digital form) or phone data in the case of home phone.  Newer modems have the capability of simultaneously using more frequencies (data channels) for the purpose of download and upload data.  That is simply a function of advances in modem technology, which will keep on going.  So, someday, I too will probably regret buying a CGN3.  Hopefully I'll get my money's worth out of it before I decide to move to the next available modem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps i should have been more clearer.

As Datalink mentioned.. these are DATA channels on the modem.

I usually bring this back to a comparison with ROADS.

A one channel modem, is a single lane road.  WHen not busy, you can go 100km on it just fine.  But come rush hour, when everyone is trying to get on it.. you get slowed down as they are all taking that one same road (channel).

These are the bottlenecks that almost every rogers user would encounter, up until about 2 years ago.

As they have released the D3 modems.. you are getting 4, 8, + channel modems.
You are now adding MORE LANES to your road.  Alot of people on lane 1? Well your modem will start using lane 2, etc.
Reducing the chance of having any congestion.

Going up to the requirements for some newer plans, require the CNG3.
Why a change again?  Well its up to a 24 channel.  With the higher speed plans, etc.. to keep that higher speed consistant, may have to spread across multiple channels.. and again even on a 4/8 might run into congestion again.  Going up to 24.. gives TONS of room.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Did something similar to me. connection went down and the tech "expert" at the other end of the Rogers line told me it was because the modem was updated. So I went down, picked up a new one, set it up and guess what ? Made no difference. They had to send a tech rep to my home - turned out the problem wasn't related to the modem. Complained to Rogers about their tech support people knowing just a bit less than I, and told them I wanted a discount. They did the discount.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

They tried to tell me I wasn't eligible for a discount when I added Rogers Home Phone because I was not a new customer, and they said I probably got a discount for the TV and Internet bundle when I signed on with Rogers.

Except I've been a Rogers Cable customer since 1974. Pretty sure I didn't get a deal on my Internet service then. Where do they get their customer service people? Kind of brings new meaning to the term "Boob Tube".

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Combo prices, at least those listed on the main page are usually just for new customers.
That being said you can often call and get other deals (based on factors such as how long a customer, # of services, etc)

The extra 200g usage when you have 3 applicable services is available to everyone.
(One of the other REs here woke up one day to have it added to his auto.. I think they were talking day before to them on another issue, and must of added it since they were applicable for it. )

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
Combo prices, at least those listed on the main page are usually just for new customers.
That being said you can often call and get other deals (based on factors such as how long a customer, # of services, etc)

The extra 200g usage when you have 3 applicable services is available to everyone.
(One of the other REs here woke up one day to have it added to his auto.. I think they were talking day before to them on another issue, and must of added it since they were applicable for it. )

I think my parents got the 200GB bonus added to their account magically by the Rogers computer without asking for it... but there were also some things going on with my dad's (now-ported-away) cell phone account, discounts ending, that kind of thing... 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@cgraves0 wrote:

They tried to tell me I wasn't eligible for a discount when I added Rogers Home Phone because I was not a new customer, and they said I probably got a discount for the TV and Internet bundle when I signed on with Rogers.

Except I've been a Rogers Cable customer since 1974. Pretty sure I didn't get a deal on my Internet service then. Where do they get their customer service people? Kind of brings new meaning to the term "Boob Tube".

That's odd - who at Rogers were you talking to? I certainly got the new customer bundle promos for adding Home Phone, but I was talking to a rep in Customer Relations, i.e. retentions.