Roger trick to force me to get new modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Roger trick to force me to get new modem

Almost everyone here would agree with you GrigoryB 🙂

Unfortunately, all we can do is voice or onpinion on them supporting more.. and help people set up / use whateve options they DO have currently to their best setup.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Not true!  This is not all we can do.  We also have the privilege (and right) to shop around for a more transparent, ethically principled provider that can provide the service we're looking for, without insulting long term accounts.  I find it absolutely outrageous they have taken an either (stick with what you have and pay the same as the greater service) or (pay us more money for a better service) approach without publicizing this. To fix the situation, I would accept one of the following options;

1) charge legacy account holders less - after all, we're receiving less service for our dollar

2) upgrade legacy accounts for free to the new modem and continue as normal - still paying the $4 rental

3) give legacy holders the ability to choose between option 1 or 2

4) find a new provider

It's amazing - Customer Service has taken a serious nose dive here at our expense and no one has considered a new provider.  Sometimes, I do admire our friends to the south - there's no Americans would take this crap.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree Semp_Dawg. I might also add that if you choose to change to one of the D3 modems, you are not getting a product that performs as advertised. Why should a customer have to pay the extra $3 per month for a gateway modem with inferior wireless service? The fact that customers often put these gateways into bridge mode in order to use their own router and still end up paying more is a serious shortcoming in what is being offered by Rogers. I even saw a post on Facebook this week from a Rogers rep who finally admitted that a more powerful modem might be needed to get proper service with their gateway modems!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I 100% agree whit you I think I will find a new provider

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wongjop hopefully you can find one that will fit your needs.

Do your research, shop around, and find out what all the others use. Some of the other companies are doing the exact same thing, forcing people into using their select gateways only :(.

Good luck! 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We have had nothing but problems with the modems we have rented from Rogers connectivity is consistently lost!! now they say this new modem is superior...ok
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

why do I have to buy a new  modem to get more gigs I am not happy

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe you can expand a little on the situation ????  In a nutshell, I believe the answer you are looking for is the fact that newer modems use more channels to download data.  Modem technology has seen an increase from a single channel down, to 4, then 8 and now 20 down and 4 up.  In order to spread that dataload accross more channels and avoid overloading channels, Rogers has made a decision that translates to moving up to modems which have increased channel capacity.  Hope that answers the question, if there was one.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, all the new plans, INCLUDE the modem rental.. most plans being CHEAPER than the previous equivelent, including that modem rental..  but re-buying a new one.. would bring down that new plan price even more though.

As for WHY?

Does the amount of USAGE equate to modem or speed? No.

But the newer usage amounts, are tied with the newer plans.
The newer plans, require the newer modems.

The newer modems.. are not just to make more money, etc.

Going back a few years to the D2 series modems... they were single channel.. and there were LOTS Of slowdowns at busy times to it.  As time goes on, they have brought out the D3 and more and more channels on them.  All in all, the more of the higher channel modems they can get out there... the LESS congested everyones connection is and can get their full alloted speeds at the busyest times.

All in all.. makes a healthier network.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I DON'T NEED MORE TV CHANNELS, WE NEED  MORE INTERNET GIGGS, WITHOUT PURCHASING A NEW MODEM. 

THIS IS NOT FAIR CONSIDERING I JUST PURCHASED A MODEM JUST UNDER A YEAR AGO.