Rocket Hub a.k.a Ericsson W35 Official Rogers Unlocking Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket Hub a.k.a Ericsson W35 Official Rogers Unlocking Questions

@codemonk:

at this point I don't own a W35 that I could afford to sacrifice on the altar of technical experience.  So I will refrain from disassembling the one that I own.

But my feeling is that the term "unlocking" as used in the cell phone world doesn't quite apply to any RocketHub.  Cell phones get unlocked, and that is that.

But with the RocketHub, there are a number of parameters that need to be changed to allow use on the cellular networks of other providers.  And once one has access to those parameters, then what is to stop you from changing other RocketHub settings which can cause any number of other issues to arise?  What may those be?  I am not technically competent enough to understand them.  But I can guess that Rogers would not like the results.

Nor would Bell, or Telus, or any other provider like the results.  And that is why they keep these devices locked down.  They know that "a little knowledge is dangerous".  And if a little knowledge is dangerous, just imagine what a full comprehension of the capabilities of these powerful devices might give us!

skinorth

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would tend to agree..

My boss is trying a similar thing with a rocket stick... while, not even as complex as a rockethub.. has been trying some things..

he actualy got rogers to unlock it (or they said they did)... great.

But it doesnt pick up other carriers cards properly.  While it doesnt bring up the same error it did before with other carriers cards, it just shows nothing now. 

There may be more to the locking.

jps44
I'm Here A Lot

I also took one apart and found the unlocked mini card modem. The parameter we need access to in the firmware is the allowed operatiors list. It is  a list of 3 digit codes representing the networks the hub is allowed to work on.

There may also be other settings to change such as the server names and ports used to acccess the internet. (This may be the case with you boss's data stick. I think the software that it installs has access to these network settings.)

I'm still hoping to get the w35 root password. That would give full access to all these parameters.

Has anybody tried flashing the firmware from ericsson? Does it brick the device? I have the default passwords from the admin guide pdf but rogers and bell changed the defaults.

bgadbois
I've Been Around

If anyone is still interested you can access the cli with user  :  root

Pswd : R0ger5

Now to unlock the unit:

You should now see a screen stating “Welcome to Ericsson”.

Now type the command “rwclean files” Press Enter.

Thats it now you have an unlocked unit and access to all the extra features as per the administrator's manual.

Enjoy.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@bgadbois:

very interesting!!!!

I tried it, and yes, it does "unlock" the W35.

But this is not for the faint of heart, or the technically naive/uninformed!

What happens is that if you do this you will lose all, and I mean ALL of the configuration settings that not only you, but also that Rogers, has put on your W35 to make it work with the Rogers network.  If you do this, your W35 will need to be configured and set up again so it will connect to the Rogers network, use WiFi as it did before, etc., etc., etc.

I am interested in unlocking my W35, so I thought I would try your procedure.  When I followed your "unlock" procedure, I was informed that I needed to reboot the W35.

Once I had done that, the first thing I noticed is that the W35 no longer had WiFi enabled.  So, fortunately I had a long ethernet cable handy, and I connected the W35 RocketHub to my laptop.  After doing the requisite Windows-related network adapter stuff (enabling my 10/100 ethernet interface), I could now access the web-based management screen.  Gone were the Rogers-specific cosmetics, and as well, my usual password to access the web management interface no longer worked.

Hmmmmmm???  What was the original default password for the web management interface?  I tried a few options, until finally I remembered that "user" was the default password for the W35 out of the box.

But, now I had no Internet connection, and who knows what else might be going on! Or not!

So, I went to the "Internet" page, and lo and behold, all of those options at the bottom, relating to Authentication and to Cellular Band Selection were now available.  The Authentication options were all blank, and the Cellular Band Selection was on "Global".

Fortunately, I knew the settings required here, and could select them, or enter them, and soon I was reconnected to the Rogers Internet, and was up and running.  I need to clean up a few other issues, but by and large I am back on the air.

So, my recommendation is, that unless you know what you are doing here, DON'T do this just for the heck of it.

skinorth

Ben55
I've Been Here Awhile

You're welcome.

By the way if you need to access the cli again, R0ger5 will not work

The default is  user  : root

pswd : feb.07

Also I forgot to tell you that anytime you do a factory reset you will loose wifi connectivity and will need to access the unit

using a lan connection.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Ben55:

You are correct.

Again!

And, yes, I did figure that one out.  The login is per the Ericsson Administrators Guide defaults.  My posting was to attempt to make others aware of the hazards and pitfalls in attempting to do the unlocking operation for the W35.

As sometimes happens, a little knowledge is dangerous..................

The "rwclean files" command is not one with which I was familiar, and I cannot remember coming across it in the Admin Guide.

But, thanks again for your valuable information.  And here's hoping that our efforts will help those who attempt the unlocking of the W35.

skinorth

Kaoru
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

A long time Rogers customer but first time posting in the community forums.  This thread has found it's way to my attention since I've owned a Ericsson W35 since 2009 where I installed it on my boat as part of its suite of electronics.  Of course, when it comes to computers/networking/tech I can easily say that it's old hat for me since I've been doing it for about 40 years.

That being said, I'm still just a noob at unlocking my W35 like anybody else.  Why am I unlocking it?  Well, first my boat installation is very specific and the W35 fits perfectly.  Adapting to a 12V DC with an external cellular antenna is easy with the W35.  The newest offerings are not so easy and they wouldn't fit space wise.  Second, I want options in service providers since I may be boating south of the border.  Third, I want the option of going "pay as you go" to save money since my boat is usually stored for the winter.

Given this, I have nothing to lose since my only recourse is to buy an unlocked W35 (refurbished @ $485 plus $73 shipping) from PowerTec.  With that price tag, I have no problem bringing my skills to bear.   Why buy?  I've already talked to Rogers for about a week regarding getting my W35 unlocked.  Their final answer was they can't do it since the unit is to old, etc. and they don't support it anymore.  Of course, it's complete bull but that's their final say.

So...  I pulled the W35 from my boat and connected to it via PuTTY/SSH (telnet is off but SSH is available).  Using the previously posted root password (R0ger5), I've connected to the Linux shell aka CLI.  I've YET to issue the "rwclean files" command.  As I understand it, this command will reset the W35 back to a PRE Rogers state; aka factory before Rogers got their mitts on it.  Any settings in the WUI (the "customer" interface) for LAN/WAN or Wi-Fi can be lost.  My only concern would be settings for cellular/APN, etc.  The WUI now has all that information greyed out/missing either because my Rogers SIM is no longer active (i've cancelled it) and/or the WUI never provided that level before.  Also, is there some magical commands at the CLI (I have the Admin manual) that I need.  Any help would be apreciated.

Cheers,

Kaoru

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Kaoru:

you first need to determine which cell provider you are going to use.  The settings you need will be specific to the provider and the geography in which you do your connection to the cell network.  And, of course, you will need to obtain a sim for that provider in order to make things function.

Although you could no doubt do your parameter settings using the W35 CLI, it would likely be easier if you used the web-based management interface.  But, there could be situations where the use of the CLI would be required, if the relevant settings could not be accessed via the web-based management interface.

You can, by the way, determine what settings are currently on your W35 using the CLI, although this information should be accessible through the web-based management interface as well.

You state that you do not have a currently valid/functioning Rogers sim.  Therefore any information which I, as a Rogers customer could give you, would not be useful/valid for your situation.  It is my understanding that these parameter settings are very specific to the network provider which you plan on using.  As well, might I suggest to you that any W35 configuration information you will require for other cell providers would likely not be available through this Forum.

We wish you well, and bon voyage in your further travels with your boat.  With winter coming on, hopefully you will be heading further south real soon.........

skinorth

Kaoru
I've Been Here Awhile

Just to be clear, any settings involving LAN/WAN, Wireless, etc. can be ignored as they are no different than any other router setup (I can do those with my eyes closed).  The only concern I have is the cellular component as that is relatively new to me.  I am, however, not completely without knowledge.  For the most part, I will be using my W35 in North America where the frequency bands are 850/1900/2100 for HSPA/UMTS/GSM.  This is according to World GSM bands which lists Canada as:

Canada 1900/850  3G: 850/1900, 1700/2100  4G (LTE, HSPA+):  4G LTE Bell Canada; Rogers LTE; Rogers 4G HSPA+

The WUI "Internet" page displays the CELLULAR BAND SELECTION which has the PRL selection; being either Global, Europe, North America, etc.  The rest is checkboxes for 3G & 2G setting.  In the case of North America, that would be 850/1900/2100 according to the above.

What does concern me if after issuing the "rwclean files" command are there any lost settings that can only be restored vi CLI commands/editing.  I refer to the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) itself, the Mobile Country/Network Code (MCC/MNC) lists/database of operators, and other settings which would NOT be on the WUI.

Again, any help in this regard or even providing what you have set would be apreciated.

Cheers,

Kaoru