Rocket Hub Internet and Phone Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rocket Hub Internet and Phone Issues

We have now had an Ericsson Rocket Hub for 5 months for our internet and home phone (we had major issues with Bell and our land line). The connectivity is usually there, though occasionally drops to nothing. What we've found is that the hub will show everything is all right, but when we go to use the phone, there is major static (only heard on my end) or nothing at all. The first time this happened, I had to use skype to call support as I couldn't use the phone and they said there was a tower down in our area. Fine. They said that I had to unplug the hub for 10 minutes, plug it back in and wait for them to call to realign it with the tower. They eventually called back and it was working fine. Over the summer, my husband was working away from home so we were calling every night so he could talk to me and the kids. At least every 2nd night the phone wouldn't work or it would be major static. Every time it did this, the internet would still work, though sometimes if I was using the internet, go to make a call, the call would deteriorate. I don't think it was a tower issue if I could use the internet, but not the phone. It also isn't our handset either, since it is not consistent as to when it works and doesn't work. Sometimes the phone would work, but not the internet. None of it makes sense to me why one would work and not the other or seem like one would cancel out the other one. The internet has been used both through an ethernet cable and wi-fi, with two different machines (laptop and desktop).

Has anyone else had these sort of issues? I haven't had time to sit on the phone for an hour waiting for service, but thought that I would try here and see if anyone has had the same issues. I've also noticed that the hub is always hot. Is this an issue? We don't have air conditioning, but even now with the cooler weather (and the furnace still off), it is the same.

Thanks!!

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket Hub Internet and Phone Issues

@findmydream:

we have been the users of an Ericsson/Rogers RocketHub for well over a year now.  In my experience, the phone side of the RocketHub would work fine even if the signal strength was way low, and there was no Internet connection at all as a result.  I eventually put in an external antenna to boost the signal strength, and now Internet service is usually OK.  But that phone side has always worked.  So, please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way suggesting that you need to put in an external antenna.  We are in an area where cell phones don't work as a result of low signal strengths.

As to the RocketHub being hot, well, let me go feel our 'Hub and see what its temperature is at.  Well, it's definitely warm, though not excessively so.  Modern electronics can run hot and function quite well.  That is why they sell those laptop coolers, so the extra heat from those can be dissipated more effectively.  So, unless you see scorch marks, or smoke from the unit, I wouldn't worry too much.

But I do think it would be worth while to bug Rogers into exchanging your unit to make sure that it does not have some defect that is causing your problem.  You may need to spend some hours on the phone with them, but I suggest it would be worth it.

skinorth

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Don't get me started with with the Rocket hub Home phone... I have a netcomm 3g10wvr with home phone, replaced once, and needing replacement again because of Hardware issues... Too many instance of people calling the HUB and getting "Customer is Unavailable"... Its a freaking cellphone chip in a fixed, non moving, non going through a tunnel, with -59  (dBm) (High) signal strength....router!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way , other than Hardware issues , should someone not be able to connect a CALL to my cellphone in a router.. 

Heat has been an issue with my router and discussed before, I have a table fan pointed at the router... without it my temps can go to 70 celsius without a fan,  to a more normal 40 ish with the fan... excessive temps can make your components not work "normally", and over time will burn out the unit... so keep it in a well ventilated area , away from heat... 

What kind of home phone are you using? If it is wireless, move the base station as far away from the router as possible, as certain phones especially 2.4 gig cordless WILL interfere with your router... Dec 6 phones MAY also be an issue..  also, check to see just how close your phone is to your Hydro Smart meter if you have one.. it  also transmits @ 2.4 ghz and MAY cause issues..

I've Been Here Awhile

I also am having problems with the phone.  No dial tone, nothing.  I want to cancel.  They want us to take the hubb to a different location to plug it in and see if it works in a different location.  We are so angry about this and we are not sure how a location of the hubb is a problem when it worked before that.

I'm an Advisor

@ridgeback:

two things:

1. humour them, and take the 'Hub to a different location.  If necessary, take it to a friend's house where you know that cellular phone signals are strong and check the status pages on the management interface on the 'Hub.  Make sure that cellular signal strength is up there both on the Hub panel display and on the management interface.

2. make sure your telephone itself is working.  I kid you not!  Today most phones need power to function, and are in fact quite involved electronic devices themselves.  What if the phone is not functioning at all.  Then you would not get dial tone, or whatever.  For that reason, I keep an old fashioned Nortel phone (well, it is touch tone?!?!) around just so I can use it for test purposes, or for when the AC power goes out.  I do have a battery backup on my 'Hub, so it will keep its power for a while.

By the way I picked up the old Nortel phone at a thrift store for a couple of bucks.

skinorth