cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rocket Hub Data & Voice

brian-m
I Plan to Stick Around

First of all, let me start by saying that I am displeased even more after posting this message this morning and having it removed by Rogers, instead of helping out with my problems, thanks Rogers, NOT.

I live very close to town & am not very rural but because the road I live on only has a limited number of houses, cable will not come in our road. I am in the Rogers HSPA+ voice & data coverage area. I have been using a Rocket Stick for the past couple of years and have been very pleased until I got my last few bills. When I signed my contract, it was $ 100 max.. My last few bills were in excess of $500. I called Rogers billing and got no where at first, I then fought with the rep to speak to a manager, finally talked to a great guy & got my account credited back but was told even though my contract was for $100 max., the new max was now $500. I thought a contract was a contract, but with Rogers it is not. The manager ended up putting a Rocket Hub plan on my Rocket Stick ( only possible for HSPA not HSPA+ by the way ). This plan has a max of $110. I thought this was a good solution to my problem. I then asked the question, ” what is a Rocket Hub ? “, it was explained to me & I thought this would be great for my internet & voice as I liked the wireless option & did not need the portabilty. I did not want to be tied to a contract, so I bought the W35 for $400. Internet was great for a few days, then I switched over my home phone to the hub. The Rocket Hub locks up 2-3 times a day, 80% of my phone calls go directly to voice mail without even ringing or the people calling me just get a dead tone. Like I said before, I am not rural like some others on this forum & others I have read in the last few days. I do not have a problem with signal. I have full bars or 100% at least 90% of the time ( the odd time, I drop one bar ). I use my phone a lot for business ( as this is a business account with at least 10 devices on my account, only 1 laptop & phone on the hub & a monthly bill between $900-$1500 a month ) and this service is very unacceptable. I have read in a lot of other posts about this service being poor & needing an antennae, this is not my case. Well enough said, if anybody can suggest any thing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

***Edited labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Rocket Hub Data & Voice

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Not to sound rude, but I think Rogers has considered you a whale... $500 for a stick plan..   why would they do anything for you.. you paying the bills and all.. the stick plans are the worst for any new subscriber... the hubs being somewhat of a relief... but you obviously paid, and there is NO incentive from rogers to switch you to the cheaper plan, which is the hub.. dont worry about HSPA+ .. if lucky you will get 2 megs down.. Rogers is going through growing pains to provide the 7 megs .. so don't hold your breath for 20 megs down... 

The W35 has is its issues... as does the netcomm.. I have posted a fix for the netcomm if you wanted to try that router ( my voice seems to work ok).. but please take advantage of my fix.. it seems to be a better router for voice... but only time will tell. Rogers 3G is congested, the speeds are flaky... but if you seriously are paying $500.00 a month.... then yes u are getting screwed... ask rogers about firmware updates or even a warranty on your router.. you won't get anywhere...

brian-m
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, my Hub is a W35

Tim
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Brian, did you receive that W35 and got it running yet? I'm just curious to see if the Hub itself may be the problem with the telephony issues you and I have.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Brian:

I too am the owner of a RocketHub W35.  I too have problems with my 'Hub.

When you say that the hub "locks up", exactly what do you mean?

In my case, the RocketHub always seems to work fine for voice.  It is a different story for data, however.  In my case, the RocketHub will show the "world" symbol on the face plate.  The internal web interface claims that the Internet connection is alive and well, and it displays all the relevant Internet parameters such as IP address, DNS addresses, etc., etc.  Also it says there are no alarms active.

But, I cannot get to the Internet from my PC.  Only if I either restart the RocketHub through the web interface, or power cycle the device can I get the Internet connection back.  I don't need to do anything to my PC.

In my case in my previous location where the network signal strength was low, this happened many times a day.  Now I have moved to a location where the cellular signal strength is better, this only happens about every two days.

skinorth

brian-m
I Plan to Stick Around

I received my new W35s ( not one, but two ) , will hook them up to see if there is any difference. When they lock up, my wireless shows as connected but no web pages can be found, if I try to call somebody when this happens, I just get a fast busy signal, if I use my cell phone to call my hub, it goes directly to voicemail without ringing. I used to unplug my hub to reboot it, but now I right click my wireless and disable it, then go to wireless conections & enable it, this seems quicker than unplugging it.

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast
How many of you guys with voice and data are using cordless phones?? With so many things being wirelesss.. the internet connection through cell tower, the internet connection wirelessly to your computer, and finally the wireless connection our phone uses to the base station... could be a MAJOR cause for some connection issues. I had to replace my cordless 2.4 gig phone for a 5.8 one. because of dropped wireless connections when the phone rang.... and dropped calls.. Basically what I am saying is ANY wireless stuff on the 2.4 GHz range should not be used... phones, baby monitors etc..

brian-m
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine is a Panasonic Dect 6.0  KX-TG6421C,  1.9GHz

xplornetsucks
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast
how close is it to the W35.. ??? hmm don't the cellphones work on the 1900 ghz band... 850 and 1900???? could that be the real issue??.. have you tried using a non wireless phone on the router?

brian-m
I Plan to Stick Around

Could be possible, you would think somebody from Rogers would read these forms, or ask those questions!!

Most people with voice say that when they are on the phone that it speeds up their data download speed, when I am on the phone here, it slows it down like crazy.

Meeshka1
I've Been Here Awhile
I had this issue when I first got my Hub and I called tech support. They had me go into my computer and make a few changes and all is great when it comes to dropped service when the phone rings. Poor upload and downloads are another issue I am still fighting with as most other posters are. Mostly with the PC where my laptop seems to be fine.

@All:

I am an Ericsson W35 owner for about eighteen months.  My experience is that when cellular signal strengths are low, voice calls are given priority over data.  As a result, Internet connections will randomly disconnect when the W35 is busy with a voice call

It also seems that the Rogers cellular network will drop data connections when a cell gets busy.  This is something I have noticed occuring at high traffic times of the day.

So, on the Rogers cellular network,my experience is that when the going gets tough, data connections get dropped.

skinorth

eddy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I agree with your theory and observations skinorth.  I have had the W35 for 20 months and over the past 2 days when the phone gets used through my hub it cuts off the internet connection.  Hang up the phone and internet resumes.  Spent 1 1/2 hrs today with support and never did get a fix for this problem.   Was told this is the first time he (support employee) has had this type of complaint to deal with.    

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@eddy:

my theory is that the W35 (and other RocketHub variants too?) (not surprisingly) have a certain inherent maximum data bandwidth capacity.  This capacity varies depending on the cellular signal strength.

Lower cellular signal strength ( fewer signal strength bars on the display) means less maximum total bandwidth capacity.

When a phone call is active on the device, the bandwidth used by the voice conversation is given priority and reduces drastically the bandwidth available to the active Internet data connections.  When the voice telephone connection is terminated, the data connection is immediately reallocated the available bandwidth and suddenly the Internet connection speeds up.

If the cellular signal strength is lower, there is less total bandwith capacity available on the W35.  This could be caused by a number of factors.  I would guess that due to the weaker cellular signal stength there is signal degradation which results in greater error rates on the cellular link, and hence a reduced total bandwidth capacity.

As to your comments on the Rogers support interpretation of this phenomenon, it doesn't surprise me in the least.  When dealing with Rogers support I find it difficult to differentiate between genuine, legitimate ignorance on their part, or a support person  who is simply trying to get rid of a complex and difficult support problem.

The question remains: are the erratic throughput and intermittent Internet disconnect problems we experience using Rockethub Internet over the Rogers cellular network a (unadvertised) limitation of the technology, or is this simply a choice Rogers has made in the way it sets up and manages its network?

How can we tell?  How would we know?

skinorth

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation