Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

skinorth

Thanks for the thorough response.

To answer your queries,

1. we have several operating systems on the computers that are runing into problems: Vista, Windows 7 Home Premium, Mac OSX versions 10.5.8 (2), 10.7.2. I seem to be the only one with very few disconnects and I'm running Max OSX 10.6.8.

2. If you mean that we'd lose a connection with the cell tower completely, I don't think this is our problem. I can plug my MacBook into the ethernet jack of the computer having trouble and connect fine.

3. I confess I don't understand DNS issues but somehow I think it may be something like this.

We're not heavy users; having spent two years using Rogers Portable internet, our demands on the connection are not extreme.

We're all within the 100m cable length limit. (Our one experience in wiring an outbuilding that exceeded this limit was that there was no connection at all.)

Our situation is that all these computers having problems can at some times connect to the net normally. In case it's relevant, we're using a Yagi antenna and get about 4 bars usually, about -75dBm to -82 dBm for signal strength.

If you can suggest any troubleshooting techniques, I'd be very happy to try them.

thanks very much

I've Been Here Awhile

skinorth

A little more info...

One of the users having problems was watching a live broadcast video this morning through a peer-to-peer service called Octoshape as he has done for years. During the broadcast, he found his browser had lost the ability to browse the internet yet the video continued the whole time. So it's not a issue of completely losing an internet connection but somehow that these computers are unable to stay connected in a normal way.

I'm an Advisor

@britannia2:

that's a good load of info you posted on your problem.

First for the PC running Vista.  I was running Vista as well and getting disconnects, while my wife who was running XP wasn't experiencing any disconnects.

I eventually solved that problem by applying the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

It seems that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom changes some details of how they did dhcp support in Vista.  This article tells you how to change it so dhcp is handled as it was in Windows XP, and as they then returned to in Windows 7.  Go figure.  It solved my Vista internet disconnect problem.

Second, for the machine running XP.  Recently my wife was having problems with her Windows XP Pro laptop.  Finally I isolated the problem and corrected it, but at the moment I cannot remember exactly what I did.  I do remember that the problem arose as a result of a Microsoft update which had been applied.  That update has some small unique feature that caused a problem with my wife's laptop.  I seem to remember that it was specific to her type of hardware, an IBM T42 laptop, but I am guessing here.  Let me do some more thinking on that one.

It is also possible that you are having DNS problems as well.  For some reason I remember that he Netcomm would lose its DNS settings.

You mention that one of your users could continue watching an already initiated video, but browsing would not work.  That would be consistent with a DNS problem.  DNS gets used initially to set up the connection for the video transfer to translate the URL into the IP address of the server being accessed.  Once the TCP connection to transfer the video is initiated, DNS is not needed or accessed again until a new request is initiated.

One way to resolve that kind of issue is to set up your PC's with one of the well-known DNS servers such as Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (if I remember correctly).  You do this by going to the network adapter using Control panel, and then Properties for tcp/ip V4, and there you can define the DNS addresses to be used by that PC, instead if it picking its DNS addresses up from dhcp and the Netcomm.

I advise you do do some Googling on alternate DNS servers and how to use them anyway, as Rogers DNS is not reputed for its reliability, although I don't think that is causing you this problem.

I also suggest you go back in this Forum about eighteen months ago and check the postings on this subject relating to the Netcomm and DNS.  The tags at the right hand side of this page can be used, I think, to locate such things.  Otherwise you may have to brute-force it and trawl through the Postings the long way.

There are other troubleshooting things we can do, but try the above for now, and see where that gets you.  It may fix at least some of your problems, allowing us to concentrate more directly on the remaining ones.

Good luck.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

skinorth

I found a post by Chris, a diamond veteran, who like you recommended changing the DNS server to Google's and gave the link https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html) for the instructions on how to do that for computers and routers. So I changed the DNS server on the router within the Rocket Hub and I'll let you know how it works out.

thanks again

I'm an Advisor

@britannia2:

you're quite welcome!

My impression is that Chris knows his stuff.  So, his suggestion is a good one to follow.

But do check out the Vista change I suggested as well.  You will likely find that you are having several different problems which give the same or similar external symptoms.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

I was using FaceTime (on a MacBook Pro) and it continued to stream, but then I couldn't browse the Internet.  On other machines also connected wirelessly, they couldn't connect to the Internet either.  I ended up having to power down the Netcomm 3G10WVR2.  On one hand, I'm glad I'm not the only one which means it's not my hardware necessarily.  But on the other hand, it sounds like a design flaw (either the Hub hardware or the Rogers network).  In either case, it means that I won't have connectivity if I'm not here to reset it.  That's a problem because I use the network for a security camera to keep an eye on things (on a boat in a marina).  I hope the DNS solution works.

On a similar but probably unrelated problem, I had all my devices disconnecting randomly on the WiFi network.  No problem with signal strength and I doubt there's interference since I'm on the outside slip in a marina far away from people.  So I decided to switch the channel from "Auto" to "8" ... lucky Chinese number 😉   So far it's working.

My Portable Internet was flaky in the first year but things seemed to iron themselves out, probably as Rogers/Inukshuk tweaked the network.  (Nice that they gave me a month service credit on two occasions... reason why I switched to Rogers from Telus Mobility.)  Hopefully the Rocket Hub will get more stable over time as well.  But I still wish I had the Portable Internet though (slow but cheaper and reliable).

Cheers!

I Plan to Stick Around

@robps

Thanks for the summary!  I'm currently using both Ethernet ports on the Rocket Hub for printer and a security camera DVR.  But if I need another Ethernet I'll have to add another router or switch.  (Would like to reduce the amount of electrosmog in the home as studies are showing it may not be too healthy for migratory birds, bees and people).

Cheers!

I'm an Advisor

@All:

just to reiterate, as suggested by Chris several postings up, you can use the Google DNS servers, amongst others, if you have problems with DNS while using your Netcomm.  As Chris posted, the Google URL is:

https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

That web page provides the required info if you want to use the Google DNS servers.

What is happening here is that for some reason (which I don't understand) the Netcomm RocketHub seems to lose its DNS addresses.  You can prevent this from causing problems by entering the Google DNS addresses directly into your PC or Mac.  This means that when a DNS request comes up, the PC/Mac send it directly to the Google DNS servers, entirely bypassing any DNS functions in the Netcomm.

As has been mentioned before, you would be well-advised not to use Rogers DNS servers, as accessed by default through the Netcomm.  Experience shows that the Rogers DNS servers have a poor performance record for speed of response and reliability of access.  There are other DNS servers available that are better, and will speed up your access speeds.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

@skinorth

Thanks for posting again.  I had changed the DNS servers on the Netcomm Hub but didn't for my two MacBooks and PC.  I had assumed that they would just refer to what the Netcomm Hub was set to.  But I'm still having problems.  I'm going to take the Netcomm Hub out of the loop by referring to the Google DNS servers directly in the MacBook.  I'll see if the others continue to have problems.

I'm wondering if this is just an issue of the cell tower being overloaded.  I seem to have problems when I'm using FaceTime or viewing a YouTube video.  I had more success with my old Portable Internet.  I sure miss it.  It was slow but reliable.

I'm an Advisor

@RogerC:

I own an Ericsson W35 RocketHub.  As a result, I cannot speak from direct personal experience with the Netcomm.  My comments are entirely based on what I have seen other RocketHub owners, owners who have the Netcomm device, post here in this Forum.

There were a bunch of Netcomm DNS-problem related postings about 12 to 18 month ago.  Then those DNS-related postings seemed to stop happening.  At the time I wondered if that was because the Netcomm DNS problem had been resolved by Netcomm/Rogers, or if the information had been posted enough times that everyone knew about the problem and its resolution.

I guess I was wrong!  As the postings in the last week or so have shown, the problem is not resolved.  What amazes me, what I find astounding, what I think is outrageous, is that Rogers/Netcomm have allowed this situation to persist, and have not released whatever it will take to correct the Netcomm DNS problem!  My guess is that it would take a firmware update to correct this problem.

I should also tell you that "my" Ericsson W35 has never, ever had a problem.  It has run faultlessly and without issue.  The problems I have had with its use were caused by Windows Vista, and by the Rogers cellular network itself.  So why is it that Rogers no longer seems to offer the RocketHub W35 (which seems to work properly!) and continues to offer the RocketHub Netcomm, which has this DNS problem????

You mention: "...I'm wondering if this is just an issue of the cell tower being overloaded....".  In my experience the cell tower overload problem results in an outright Internet disconnect.  Its symptoms are different from the DNS problem.  Any internet transfer underway, such as video streaming, would immediately stop, along with any new attempts at internet access.  In many cases, a reset or power cycling of the 'Hub will at least temporarily resolve the disconnect problem.

skinorth