Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

@gw1:

Thanks.  Now I understand.  But do those devices for which you want to allocate an "IP Reservation" based on their MAC address not have the ability to configure a fixed IP on them?

If you can't preconfigure these devices with their own, unique IP address, you can always disable the dhcp on the W35, and allow the Airport Extreme to provide that function.  You really need, and probably should have, only one device on your LAN acting as dhcp server anyway.  And depending on your point of view, it may be preferable to allow the Airport Extreme to do the dhcp server function.  That will allow the W35 to devote all its resources to doing the cellular communications and router functions, while the Airport Extreme, which would essentially be idling anyway, can do the dhcp functions.

Let us know how it works out.

skinorth

I'm Here A Lot

skinorth

UPDATE - I have turned off the DHCP in the W35 and turned on DHCP in the Airport Extreme and then assigned IP's in the DHCP of the Extreme - Seems to work just fine.

The Ericsson W35 is working well !! What a relief

The Netcomm unit is sitting in a corner, unplugged, useless

Maybe some day there will be a firmware upgrade for it. I feel sorry for all those people struggling with it. I know 3 people in my small town who have cancelled and gone to Bell's turbo hub and had good success.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's; why is the W35 no longer being sold?

@gw1:

thanks for the update.  It is always gratifying to hear that someone has had success and has found a solution as a result of our postings.

My impression is that you should not hold your breath waiting for a firmware update for anything sold by Rogers.  The Netcomm problems have been widely publicized here, and there has never been any indication that Rogers was even considering firmware updates.

I know that the firmware on the W35 seems old, as it is dated October 2009.  However, there have never been any identified problems with the use of the W35 that would seem to require firmware updating.  On the other hand, Bell went through a well-publicised problem period with its use of the W35, which eventually required a firmware update, which if I remember correctly, is dated November 2011.

What is a mystery to me, however, is why both Rogers and Bell stopped selling the Ericsson W35.  Anyone know what the scoop might be on that question?  In the case of Rogers, they seem to provide only the seemingly problematic Netcomm.  Bell offers other devices for the same function.

skinorth

I've Been Around

We have had nothing but problems with our hub.Disconnecting all the time.For the first year, tech"s said nothing wrong with hub, now it is off warranty they say it is a hub problem.

I'm an Advisor

@amc401v8:

with rare exceptions, I would not believe anything a Rogers tech tells you.  That notwithstanding, my experience as a RocketHub user for many years now leads me to believe that the first and foremost reason for disconnects is the overloading of the Rogers cellular network infrastructure/tower to which you connect.

My assumption is that voice traffic is given priority on the Rogers cell network.  The Rogers network will drop data connections to your 'Hub when your local tower gets overloaded.  There are no error indications on your 'Hub.  Sometimes the data connection will come back to life some minutes later.  Sometimes you will need to restart the 'Hub to be able to (re-) establish a data connection.

I know of cases where Rogers techs have confirmed this to be the case.  They have noted that the capabilities of a given Rogers cell tower need to be upgraded to resolve this problem.  In addition they have noted that such an upgrade would take many months to implement.  At the same time, no financial compensation is offered to the affected Rogers customer.  Ours is but to suck it up!

This is not what I signed up for, and if I had another choice for Internet where I live I would not use the Rogers cellular network.  Unfortunately, I do not have another choice here.

skinorth