Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

I just got a Rocket Hub to replace my Portable Internet. I have 19 IP devices in the house and didn't realize the Rocket Hub has a limit of 15

I am trying to put a router I already have (Airport Extreme) between the Rocket Hub and the Ethernet switch without success. I am assuming this will solve my lack of DHCP addresses since the Airport Express DHCP will issue IPs

I set the Rocket Hub to; IP=10.0.1.1, DHCP off, NAT off

Then on the Airport Extreme; IP=10.0.1.10, default gateway 10.0.1.1, DHCP on, DHCP range 10.0.10.1 - 255

Once setup the Airport Extreme complains of "Double NAT" and I cannot surf

Ideas appreciated.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket Hub (3G10WVR2) out of IP's

@robps:

could you be a little more specific on how you have determined that "... the Rocket Hub has a limit of 15" IP addresses?

I own a RocketHub (Ericsson W35) and I have not tried to connect more than four or five devices to it at once.  So, I cannot speak from personal experience on your situation.  But I have done a quick scan of the Netcomm documentation, and I have not found any reference to a limit on the number of devices for which they can support simultaneous connections.

It seems intuitively obvious that any consumer-grade router device will have a finite limit for the number of simultaneous connections it can support.  This assumption is based both on internal limitations within the device in terms of RAM and in terms of the bandwidth the device will support.  But the Netcomm documentation states that the dhcp address range on the default configuration is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254.  That should make a lot more than 15 IP addresses available!

I cannot remember ever seeing a spec for the maximum number of local IP connections any given router could support.  But then, I have never tried to connect as many devices as you have, so maybe I just did not look hard enough.

However, if you want to use your Netcomm in this way, and depend on the Airport to do the router functions, you might consider putting the Netcomm into what is called bridge mode.  See the Netcomm documentation for how to do this.  Then you won't need to do all kinds of reconfiguration of the Netcomm device.  You just let the Netcomm do its cellular network "modem" thing and the Airport does the routing, firewall, dhcp, LAN and WiFi functions.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

skinorth - Thanks for your quick reponse

The 15 IP limit is on the Rogers site...

"Just power on the Rocket™ hub by plugging into an electrical outlet and you've got high speed internet access anywhere on the Rogers wireless network for up to 15 computers or Wi-Fi devices"

NetComm Rocket Hub

Network:

• Download speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps
  • Uplink speeds up to 5.76 Mbps
  • 3G/Wi-Fi router with voice
  • Internet access for up to 15 devices via Wi-Fi or Ethernet

In the Rocket Hub management screens there is an option for "Enable Half-bridge" (not sure what half-bridge is) - I tried it and it didn't seem to work

R

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@robps:

thanks for your response to my question.  As with many of Rogers' pronouncements, I am unsure as to how to interpret the 15 IP limit.  Have you actually tried to connect more than 15 devices to the Netcomm RocketHub?  If so, what happened?

Certainly, unless the 15 device limit is somehow hard-coded or set into the device parameters, Rogers would have no way of enforcing that limit from the network.

My apologies on the "half-bridging" thing.  I did a Google on it, and it appears it may be something that is unique to Aussies and NZ?  In doing a quick scan of the Netcomm documentation, I saw the reference, and simply (and stupidly) assumed that "full bridging" was on the next page.  Maybe that's like fast and half-fast? Smiley Wink

In the same Netcomm document, they refer to "Appendix B" as providing the information on half-bridging.  Well, I checked Appendix B and it does no such thing.

Most of the references that showed up on my Google on half-bridging seemed to refer to the use of Netcomm ADSL modems being used in Australia and NZ, with PPPoA, which is unique to them and the UK.  We in North America use PPPoE.

But nevertheless, you may want to do a Google on Netcomm half-bridging to see if what comes up may have applicability in your situation.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

skinorth - just tried half-bridging again and I got it working!!!

It seems that the Rocket Hub still wants a private IP (I guess to get at the management) I gave it 10.0.1.1 but that conflicted with the DHCP range on the Airport Extreme so I changed it to 10.0.10.1 - 255

I also had to change the DNS from 10.0.1.1 to actual DNS servers 8.8.8.8

and it worked!! The Rocket hub is passing through my public IP to the Airport Extreme WAN port Smiley Very Happy

Before I was getting the odd IP conflict with devices on the LAN so I thought maybe I was bumping into the 15 IP limit, but it could have been all the config changes I was making trying to get this to work.

Thanks for your help & research

I'm an Advisor

@robps:

I am confused.  I don't quite understand why you changed the default addressing on the RocketHub from the original 192.168.0.1 in the first place.  If I understand you correctly, you had deduced that you had run into the Rogers 15 IP address limit because you were getting IP address conflicts.

I say this not because there is any problem with changing the RocketHub address range to the 10. whatever range.  That is perfectly legit.  I just don't understand why you would change from the RocketHub defaults if it were not necessary.

You write "... the Rocket Hub still wants a private IP (I guess to get at the management)...".  Why would you conclude that?

I also don't understand your statement "... I gave it 10.0.1.1 but that conflicted with the DHCP range on the Airport Extreme so I changed it to 10.0.10.1 - 255...".  I don't know what address range the Airport Extreme WAN port expects, or is using, so, I can't comment.

I fear at this point I don't really understand what your configuration is.  I really do hope that your setup will work satisfactorily for you.

But if you should have any other problems, give us another posting, and someone should be able to help you with some suggestions.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

skinorth

Since my network had always been running 10.0.1.XXX addresses when I got the Rocket Hub I changed the DHCP and hub address to the same subnet.

When you switch the Rocket Hub to "half-bridge" mode it still needs an IP, so I just left it at 10.0.1.1 - that conflicted with the DHCP range of the Airport Extreme 10.0.1.XXX. I think you are right I could have changed the Rocket Hub back to 192.168.0.1 but I just left it. Doing it again I would just leave it I think. When I did change the Airport Extreme DHCP range I had to restart almost everything as most devices held on to the old 10.0.1.XXX address (I assume they would fix themselves eventually when the DHCP lease ran out)

It seems the Airport Express doesn't like having an IP in it's DHCP range on the WAN port - the error was something about rejecting the IP address.

In summary - I suspect you are right - could have just left the Rocket Hub alone and just changed it to Half-bridge mode.

Thanks again

Rob

Here is the config;

3G Public IP               Rocket Hub                    Airport Extreme                   LAN

74.198.XXX.XXX        IP: 10.0.1.1                    DHCP: 10.0.10.1-255          10.0.10.XXX

Half-bridge mode            DNS 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

I'm an Advisor

@robps:

thanks again for your further comments and clarification.  As mentioned earlier there is no problem with using a 10. address for your network.  Not an issue at all.

I have several comments:

0. (added after the fact, during an edit) I looked again at your original posting.  You mention there that you had given the Airport the fixed IP address of 10.0.1.10.  You also set up the dhcp address range of 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.255.  It looks to me like the result of that would be that connecting about the eighth or ninth device to your LAN would cause problems.  dhcp would give out the 10.0.1.10 address to that device, and the result is an IP address conflict with your Airport.  See point 3 below for how that can be resolved.

1. routers tend to use the xxx.yyy.zzz.1 IP address in the range, more or less by convention.  But I don't think there is an iron-clad technical rule demanding this.  It just makes it easier for everyone (including hackers Smiley Surprised) if we follow certain rules and conventions.

2. You state: " ...the Rocket Hub to "half-bridge" mode it still needs an IP, so I just left it at 10.0.1.1 - that conflicted with the DHCP range of the Airport Extreme 10.0.1.XXX...".  I strongly suspect that the RocketHub IP address actually conflicted with another device on your LAN, likely the Airport.  There is no way that I know of that a dhcp server would try to detect which IP addresses are already in use on the LAN outside of what it maintains in its own database of IP address leases granted.

3. I find it curious that the Netcomm RocketHub defaults its dhcp addresses to a range beginning at the .2 address in the subnet .  The Ericsson W35 RocketHub I use, as well as any Linksys routers I have worked with, by default begin the dhcp address range at the .50 address in the subnet.  When you think about it, this makes a lot of sense.  This allows you the IP addresses from .2 to .49 in the subnet address range for any fixed IP addresses you may need to make.  And having the dhcp address range of .50 to .254 available for dhcp assignment is not a limitation, IMHO, as that still gives you over 200 IP addresses available for assignment on the LAN.

4. You write: "... I had to restart almost everything as most devices held on to the old 10.0.1.XXX address (I assume they would fix themselves eventually when the DHCP lease ran out)...".  As you found out, you need to restart literally everything when a basic reconfiguration like that is done.  The dhcp leases will run out, of course, but that can take hours to days.  And in the meantime you would have either potential IP address conflicts, or no communications at all, as the old dhcp addresses assigned may not even be in the subnet address range of the new configuration.

5. what ethernet port did you use on the Airport to connect to the RocketHub?  And have you done any checking to determine what the impact is of your current configuration on the respective firewalls on the RocketHub and Airport?  In reading the items that came up on half-bridging on Google, it was not clear to me how security would be impacted.  Conventionally, when a device, e.g., a cable modem/router combo, are "fully" bridged it shuts down all router functions on the device.  In a "full" bridged situation, the Airport should do everything, routing, dhcp, firewall, etc., etc.  I don't know what the impact would be of half-bridging, and how much functionality there would still be on the RocketHub that would need to be shut off or disabled, or augmented on the Airport.

skinorth

I've Been Around

I read this exchange and feel that somewhere in here is the solution to my problem but I'm not sure where.

I also recently moved from Rogers Portable Internet to the RocketHub ( the Netcomm 3G10WVR device). I turned the WiFi on the RocketHub off because those of us who use it live in a big concrete building and connected our existing ethernet network into the hub. Our network uses three 16-port switches although only about 10 computers are plugged in (Switches 2 and 3 plug into Switch 1 as does the cable from the Rocket Hub).

Several users on the network lose their internet connection several times each day for long periods whereas I do not. Some of these users' computers are plugged into the same switch my computer is. Their computers will show them as not being connected to the internet. If I take mine (a laptop) to their room and plug in, it works fine.

For them to restore their connection, they shut the power off to the RocketHub and wait 30 seconds, turn it on and then their connection works again.

I think the responsibility lies with the router within the RocketHub. I re-set the factory settings but I don't see anything else within the modem/router interface at 192.168.1.1 that would solve this problem. Specifically, I don't see anything that offers bridging. I asked the Rogers technical rep if I could turn off the router function within the device and she wasn't sure how that differed from turning off the WiFi (about then I realized I wasn't going to get a solution from Rogers).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an Advisor

@Britannia:

sounds like you have quite an extensive network connected to the RocketHub.

There are all kinds of reasons why you might be having the problems you describe.  I too have experienced similar issues, although the computers in my household (3 total, 1 wired, 2 WiFi) aren't nearly as many as you have.  Also, I have an Ericsson W35 RocketHub.  But in principle, that should not make any difference.

The following are possible issues:

1. you may have an Operating System-specific issue causing your problems.  I too have had such problems with both Windows XP and Vista.  The solution in each case was different.

2. the Rodgers cellular network seems to force disconnects on data connections when the cell to which you connect gets overloaded.  This can take some time to correct and rebooting or resetting the RocketHub will quite often correct the problem.

3. there have been reports some time ago about DNS-related problems with the Netcomm.  I haven't seen any of these complaints recently an not being a Netcomm owner I don't know how that problem was resolved.

But, in each of the above cases there are IP troubleshooting techniques that can be used to verify what kind of problem you are experiencing.

But in the first place, what Operating Systems are you using on the various computers you have connected?  Which of those seem to have internet disconnects most often, and which never have internet disconnects?

By the way, I see no reason why your setup should not work, providing of course that the data volume demands of the 10 PC's don't exceed the inherent bandwidth capabilities of both the RocketHub and the Rogers cellular network.  I also assume that you aren't exceeding the basic maximum ethernet cat5 cable run length of 100 metres.

So don't all of you access Netflix at the same time!Smiley Wink