Rocket Hub $0 upgrade offer with two year renewal

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rocket Hub $0 upgrade offer with two year renewal

http://email.rogers.com/a/hBPdiXaAyt-l0B8he-ENgbLaIrz/view?t_params=EMAIL%3Dbill.page%2540newsynthes...

Did anyone else here receive this ugrade offer by email?  When I call the number 1 888 204-1090 in the email the people (Rogers?) who answer the phone tell me that they do not have any knowledge of this offer and then they tell me it will actually cost me $99 or I could choose a "myfi hub" or something like that (not the same as the Rocket hub for home users!).  The offer clearly states $0.  It specifies "Upgrade to our fastest 21 Mbps HSPA+ Rocket HUB for $0" and shows a picture of what I presume is the new Netcomm hub.  I ask the same question of Rogers support and got a similar run around. So I contacted customer relations and obtained an "interaction #" from a manager after explaining the issue again for about the 10th time. Last week I used the interaction # to try to contact the Rogers presidents office from the Contact Us / Make a complaint form.  They say they will respond within 48 hours but I still haven't heard anything from them.

I really would like to renew my Rocket Hub plan for another two years but this run around is making me think maybe I should sheck the competition.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should proceed?

Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rocket Hub $0 upgrade offer with two year renewal

You might try calling 1-866-558-1031. This department was set up to migrate Rogers customers from Wimax to the Rocket hub when Rogers terminated their Wimax service on March 1st. You should mention that you've been a  Rogers customer for 'x' years since they tend to treat customers slightly better the longer you've been using their services... good luck.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Typical Rogers customer service going on there BillPage.  Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.  I think you got it right when you suggested checking out the competition especially if your having any issues with speeds, over pricing, etc.   Upgrading to a faster Hub is what's being offered but not to the Rogers Rocket Hub customers.   The offer is for those that had their hub internet shut down last month and since so many people where migrating away from Rogers they came up with making phone call offers, etc offering free rocket hubs and better pricing.   Of course this behaviour has been commented on as being unfair pricing to current rocket hub users.   So now they send emails wanting you to buy into a faster rocket hub and lock you in for another two years.  The hub upgrade is okay but I doubt you will see faster speeds up or down in comparision to your current hub.  As for getting locked into another contract don't do it.  If Rogers can't offer these upgrades without contracts screw them and their policy.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Update: Finally got a response from the presidents office on Friday (April 27) with an offer to "waive the $62.50 fee" on the new Rocket Hub - no explanation of this run around. But in the end I got what I wanted and they got what they wanted (my renewal). I hope it was worth the trouble. Will let you all know after I have it up and running for a week or so.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Review: What Rogers sent me was a Netcomm 3G27WV-R hub. It seems that it was definitely NOT worth the trouble!

Configuring it was no problem.  With the external antennae (supplied) and my old Ericsson W35 sim card I got a good -87db (medium) signal and it connected to my usual apn vpn.com.  At first things seemed to be working, I could access gmail etc.  Performance wasn't great but perhaps acceptible. Then things got worse.  Randomly I would get server not found when visiting common sites like facebook.com.  Then when I did get a connection, download speed varied greatly from almost OK, to terrible.

After trying to cope with this for a few hours I gave up and re-connected my old Ericsson W35 hub.  Immediately my Internet connection was back to normal.  I didn't have time to repeat the experiment until two weeks later, but the result was the same: it works sometimes but often badly. I have not yet tried to call Rogers technical support - I am not really up to a long wait on hold followed by a struggle to explain the problem - since I do get a connection it's just the performance that is the issue. It would be easier to get help from Rogers if it didn't work at all.

So what they got was my two year renewal and what I got was a fancy new hub that is a lot worse than the old one. And to top it off, the stupid Netcomm external antennae isn't even compatible with the Ericsson...

Does anyone have a positive experience with the Netcomm 3G27WV-R hub? If so was there something in particular you needed to do to get it to work reliably?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Your are the first person to post anything about the 3G27WV-R hub.    That thing is advertised to do 21 Mpbs download.  Of course we all know that ain't gonna happen.   Perhaps a call to customer service may be in line on this one.   If you do get it working post back with speeds, etc.    There is nothing about this hub on the internet as to it's performance.  Wonder why?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The hub seems to work fine with a good -75db strength. The first thing to happen was a Windows XP upgrade from ten years ago. It sat there for a good time doing a 1.5 GB (half the monthly data plan) transfer. We are located in a high speed coverage area and the rate was a high of 108 Mips down to a low of 38 Mips. I suspect that was due to network usage as the kids get online after school about that point! We use NetTalk for VOIP with very good results. We plan to travel to the BC interior and there'll just be regular 3G service. The trailer is in the woods so the signal levels may be much lower. The router in that "tin can" won't help, but the external "reverse SMA" antenna connection could be valuable to get to an outside high gain directional antenna. A regular cell phone works well there, so there must be a tower somewhere in the area! 

I also notice that the power input is 12 volts DC. I used an adjustable and metered bench power supply to monitor the operational power consumption. It was typically about 250 ma; a sixth of the 1500 ma rated AC power adapter capacity. It was constant power consumption with my minor voltage range adjustment from 11 to 15 volts (a typical auto battery range), indicating that it has an internal switching power supply regulator. That's ideal for a cigarette lighter plug connection!!! That means that the HUB can be used in a vehicle (or RV) and run for many days on the vehicle battery. NetTalk operating on an old JawBone charger draws about 300 ma. Time will tell if VOIP works with the vehicle in motion.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@InTheWoods:

nice report on the performance of your new RocketHub.

I'm not sure how many will appreciate the technical detail you included, particularly your analysis of its power consumption.  But I do, and I applaud your testing and your reporting of the results.  These results would be of particular use to the RV community, and anyone who wished to use the device in mobile situations, including RV'ing (also for boondocking), boating and use in a remote location where AC power is unavailable.

Could you clarify one point please?  What is the exact make and model of the RocketHub which you are using?  If you could provide that detail, it would help us all in understanding the exact application of your discussion.

skinorth