Rocket HUB wont connect to 3G anymore ( med signal)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rocket HUB wont connect to 3G anymore ( med signal)

@paully:

I don't think any one of us has totally discounted the possibility of it being blown hardware in the Hub.  It just seems less likely given that the problem comes and goes with time of day, or whatever.  If it is a hardware problem, it would seem to be intermittent and somehow affected by time of day-related issues.

Certainly, if another (known good) hub could be substituted for the current one, it would prove the point one way or the other.  And, I am sure that would be done if another hub were available.  But, lacking that we can only proceed using other options in order to eliminate those which can be addressed more easily.

skinorth

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Doubt it's the HUB since it's working just fine for the last couple of days. All is back to normal.3 /5 bars and 3G access.

The Wilson Yagi covers the 900 (IIRC) - 2,700 signal spectrum.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@BeerHunter125:

Perfect!  That's the antenna I use as well.  It actually is not a yagi, but what is called a "log-periodic" design.  The issue with Yagi antennas is that they are really good for a narrower frequency band.  The log-periodic antenna is known for its effectiveness over a wider frequency band.

You may remember the really, really long yagi antennas that used to be popular for specific TV channels and effective over a long distance.

Another benefit of the log-periodic design is that they are not quite as directional as typical higher gain yagi antennas.  As a result your accuracy in pointing the antenna at the cell tower will not be so critical.

I'm expecting you will get good results with it.

skinorth

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

try a speedtest.net in the early mornings or ver late ate night I believe all you guys will see an double speed increase..i doubt its hardware my netcomm has been doing the same, also could be rogers reconfigure things as lte on some towers will be the top tier for the bandwidth on there microwave backhauls...i even believe rogers is putting some rocket hubs on a lower tier trying to minimize overloading the network... just look at all the mail in this thread with similiar problems your equipment very unlikley, rogers more than likley trying to deal with an over saturated network.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@hogwild69:

I have many times experienced differences in RocketHub performance relating to time of day.  Most notably, I have experienced not just reduced speeds, but total disconnects at high-traffic times of the day.  I have experienced these in at least three locations across southern Ontario.

Network management techniques could be used to modify the priority of certain types of traffic on the network.  But we as customers do not have a "window" into Rogers' network management practices.  How can we tell what is happening?  I suspect that the front-line Rogers CSR's also do not have that kind of knowledge or information.

So all we can do is work with the tools and resources available to us.  We at our end are faced with the requirement of optimizing our home infrastructure, and using whatever measurement and management tools are at our disposal to determine both whether Rogers is meeting their contractual obligations Smiley Frustrated to us, and that what we can control is working well.

I doubt that Rogers is reducing the priority of RocketHub traffic specifically.  I suspect that any such move would affect all non-LTE data moving into the network at large, and would they want to do that?

The major issue I suspect is, as you put it an "...over saturated network...".  This seems to be true all over Canada, but also specifically in locations where there is either a highly variable amount of traffic during the business day (alongside busy major Highways such as the 401), or significant growth in the customer base ( here in Milton, ON, where houses have sprung out of the ground like mushrooms over the last two years).

skinorth