Rocket HUB wont connect to 3G anymore ( med signal)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Rocket HUB wont connect to 3G anymore ( med signal)

For the past 1 1/2 years my Netcomm 3G10WVR2 HUB worked just fine with 3G (with the usual outages etc.) with low to med signal strength
Suddenly , about 3 days ago , it stopped connecting in the evenings (no signal,no 3G) and now it won't connect to 3G at all (shows no signal or 3G).
Tech support had me roll it back to 2G and it worked but is quit a bit slower.Shows full signal strength and connects to 2G.
Anyone else ever experience this problem , have any idea why it's started all of a sudden or how to resolve it?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rocket HUB wont connect to 3G anymore ( med signal)

its also possible the 3g band in your rocket hub crapped out and died? it may not be likely, but its definitely possible, the only way to test is to put your sim in another device/phone and see if the 3g signal comes on, if it does, you have a defective radio in yor rocket hub

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm an Advisor

@BeerHunter125:

we use the Ericsson W35 RocketHub.  We moved to a new location several months ago, and I began encountering problems as well.  In the previous location I had used an external antenna.  Without the antenna I would get low signal strengths, and spotty to no Internet.  Voice was always fine.

In the new location we had low to moderate signal strength, but Internet would cut out.  Then I put up the external antenna, and now get high to max signal strength and things are as "fine" as they ever get on the Rogers network.

I was always under the impression that I needed 3G+ to get Internet connectivity.  Perhaps the Netcomm works differently.  I looked at the management interface for the W35, and I don't think I can "roll back" to G2.  all of the options that would select G2/G3 or whatever are inactivated in the Rogers variant of the W35, even though they show on the user interface.

The W35 documentation shows that such things can be set/modified using the CLI, but so far, I don't know of anyone who had access to the CLI.

Are you using an external antenna?  If you are not, that could be one way to improve your signal strength and better the situation.

skinorth

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its also possible the 3g band in your rocket hub crapped out and died? it may not be likely, but its definitely possible, the only way to test is to put your sim in another device/phone and see if the 3g signal comes on, if it does, you have a defective radio in yor rocket hub

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So what does Rogers do for a customer when the hub craps out?   Do they offer up a replacement regardless of the unit's age or a discounted price on a new one when it's out of warranty or do they just do nothing?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@BeerHunter125 & eddy:

as far as I know, these devices have a 1 year warranty from Rogers, and after that you are on your own.  I could be wrong on that, but that is the way I remember it.

But, it must be that the full moon is waxing.  Last night my cellular signal strength crapped out, and I had no end of trouble getting an Internet connection through my W35.  I suspected the WiFi might be a problem, as I have had some glitches there recently.  Using well-established Rogers troubleshooting techniques, I restarted the 'Hub, but no real improvements resulted.  Well, one can only hope.

And pray too, I guess!  Perhaps someone can post some effective prayers to the Goddess of Technology for our use.

So I connected to the 'Hub by ethernet cable.  At that point, cellular signal strength seem to recover, and my Internet connection did as well.  This morning before leaving for work I noticed that cellular signal strength was in the crapper again.  Wonder, what is happening?  Did someone park an 18-wheeler in the wrong place, and it is deflecting all that good Rogers cellular signal away from me?

So, what to do?  Well, at the risk of further complicating things, I think I will put in one of my trusty old Linksys WRT54G routers to do the WiFi AP function, and connect it to the 'Hub by cat5 cable.

But the key thing is that we have in the past had the cell network cause us grief on so many occasions that I quite frankly don't trust its reliability.  The troubleshooting process is always one of ranking likely risks of failure and prioritizing our troubleshooting activities to be the quickest in leading to a successful resolution.  So, at what point do I begin wasting time on the phone with Rogers support only to be disappointed with their advice once again?  Note that once in a while you do get someone who is truly helpful.  But like with the cell network itself, the odds of that are not encouraging.

As usual, I really don't need to spend a number of hours troubleshooting this kind of problem again when I am actually trying to achieve something useful using my Internet access as a tool to get results and rack up some "accomplishments".

Fixing the darn thing when it is broken is really not my idea of a good time at this point!

skinorth

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Don't think it's the HUB because it's been on the 3G network (with 3 out 5 bars signal strength) again since yesterday morning.I'm on pins and needles waiting for it to crap put again.

Have a yagi antenna to put up but will probably have to wait until it warms up before I venture up on the roof top (-20C and snow on roof is knee deep) to install it. Luckily there is an existing tripod and 10' pole still up there from my old WiFi days so installation should be a snap.

Aiming and fine tuning it will be another matter...

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have a yagi and it is mounted about 8' off the ground.   You probably don't need to be climbing onto the roof.  The hub is not line of sight as I understand it.   If you mount the antenna under the eaves it has to be something like 3' below so as to not interfere with incoming signal.   The signal comes in as a arc leaving the tower arcing downwards onto the antenna thus the distance below the eaves/soffit area.  Pointing the antenna is what is important.   It will take a bit of time to line it up and get that perfect reading so small movements and waiting periods will occur.   My own results with the antenna attached are 4 bars to full bars constantly.  Prior to using antenna 3 bars and occasional jump up to 4 bars.   No difference in speeds with or without antenna.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

It should go on the roof as we're surrounded by 30' to 40' Aspen and Spruce. As you said , not expecting an increase in speeds , but a more reliable , solid signal and want to tie it into a cell phone booster for better coverage in the house for the phone.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

It's that good old sixties mantra: higher is better!

With UHF and microwave signals a direct line is optimal.  Otherwise you get reflections, attenuation of the signal and multipathing, all of which causes issues.

Depending on how directional your yagi is, pointing it in the right direction is definitely of value.

What frequency range is the yagi designed/optimized for?

skinorth

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i still think its a defective PA in the device, blown hardware. have u tested it out to make sure?