Ridiculous unlock policy , Ridiculous travel pack package $225 for 75MB

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Ridiculous unlock policy , Ridiculous travel pack package $225 for 75MB

What is the point for 3 year teams contact? I planning to go travel for a month ...i can't use any other carrier while out of Canada?? But i still need to pay monthly fee with the contract terms, and you are going to ask me to pay 225 for 75MB for top up travel pack. 

I hope there are better plan and suggestion here. Cat Mad

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Ridiculous unlock policy , Ridiculous travel pack package $225 for 75MB

Hello wenvan

All carriers including ( Fido, Bell, Telus, Virgin & some others) Have 3 year terms. This is because they do not want us having 2 year terms. The CRTC seems to be actually looking at this now & MAY be taking the customers side to get rid of the 3 year terms.

Which phone do you have? You are able to unlock most phones threw online or by going to a cellphone shop / fle market & just pay a simple price ( small fee) for them to unlock it.

The travel packages are same packages i would not get from Rogers. When i go to Europe, i just bring along my unlocked phone & get a pre paid sim card from the country i go to. I leave my Rogers sim at home so no issues happen.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The best thing if you do plan on traveling and switching sims, and you don't want to deal with not being able to unlock a phone due to the contract is to not get it on contract. Of course this requires paying full price for the phone.

Paying full for one from Rogers, you can get it unlocked right away (well, 30 days I think). Or buy it outright unlocked.

I've Been Here Awhile

Buying a full price device from Rogers is pretty ridiculous given that the prices are inflated and arbitrary (even FIDO and Rogers have different retail no contract prices for the same devices).

I suggest you go buy a pentaband unlocked phone such as the Galaxy Nexus for $250 and pop in a local SIM card. In the long-run I think it's beneficial for all consumers to purchase pentaband unlocked phones outright especially from Google, which is selling state of the art devices such as the Nexus 4 at ridiculously low prices ($300).

**Edited for content