Rgrs doing internet "Wire Upgrades"at my home-WHY?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rgrs doing internet "Wire Upgrades"at my home-WHY?

Last week I had a phone message claiming it was from a Rogers rep saying that they had to book an appointment with me to come to my house and make a change to my internet package.

I called them today. The rep today kept saying that I am on a "list" of people to get replacement wires for internet. 

That's all he could tell me.  Is anybody else on this "list"?
What is this about? 

I have Rogers Ultimate. 

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rgrs doing internet "Wire Upgrades"at my home-WHY?

Well if you called back in, and they confirmed it, it is legit at least.

Are you in an old area / building?? It's possible the infrastructure there is old and can't handle the necessary bandwidth for your net, etc

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanksf or your reply.

Yes, i called back in and it seems legit. (They didn't ask for my address so its definitely legit).

My home is 3 years old so it must be something else. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

For a 3 year old home i doubt they are coming to change the wires for them being old. I am guessing maybe they are changing the wires for another reason. Did you ask them why they are changing the wires? If not i would have asked to speak to a Manager & asked why they need to change them & for what reason. I see no reason why they should not tell you 😕 Its your home they are coming to.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could be anything really..

I know where my brother used to live, was a new subdivision.. and there were like 5 people on his side of the street, which DID NOT get rogers when the house was built.. and they actualy never ran the lines to the houses.

When the houses re-sold, and went to new people.. and they did, the lines had to be run to the houses.. and apparently they needed to switch stuff around at the road hub, so it disrupted service.. could be something like that..

Or could be the house builder screwed up.. who knows 😛

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers has been replacing the lower grade RG58 cables that was used as standard for wiring houses for the longest time, with the new, better, RG6 cables. RG6 has better shielding and allows for more bandwidth essentially. Take a look at the cables and if they say anything other than RG6, that's why Rogers is coming.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey everyone, thanks for the great feedback.

I will check the version of cabling I have. The appointment is for tonite so we'll see what happens.

I just got a response from my friend in Moncton NB. See below:

"They did it for me 😛 during an instillation they said i could have better signal. They came and now 3.6 Mbps download speed for torrents all day long lol"