cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

First off, I'd like to mention, I'm currently quite happy with my download speed and latency. Since moving to where I live, I've had great download speed (averaging 4.0-4.2 MB/s download from Steam with Extreme+) and no connection issues. However, I am an avid gamer.

A phenomenon that is becoming more common in the gaming world is streaming gaming footage via a self-streaming website like Twitch TV... you can share your game footage with friends, show them something cool that you found, or show off your skills. If you're in a beta you can allow the gaming community to view it "through your eyes". If you play an MMO, you might stream footage of you and your guild achieving a world first or difficult kill!

Self-streaming however, requires upload speed. The more, the better. With low upload speed, the video quality degrades heavily whenever there is motion. Having even 5.0 Mbps would allow for decent stream quality - allowing text to be legible to a viewer. 10.0 Mbps would allow for Crystal Clear HD Self-Streaming!

I would like to submit a request for higher upload speed caps, especially on the higher end packages. I know this forum is probably not the best place to do it, but I don't know of anywhere else I can even submit a request. Rogers is unfortunately on the very low end of upload speed caps. Even competing locally against Bell, while Rogers wins in availability and download speed, Bell upload speed is much higher, peaking at 10 Mbps on their Fibe 50 service - as opposed to Rogers Ultimate peaking at 2 Mbps.

For a reference from down south, I just quickly pulled up the Comcast website from the US:

Please consider raising your upload speed caps. Having Rogers best plan available being unable to compete with Comcast's value plan on upload speed is depressing. I would be willing to pay for a plan with a boosted upload speed - If extreme plus was offered for $80/month with 5.0 Mbps I would gladly subscribe. It's just galling to pay $28 more for a giant amount of download speed (that I don't need/care about) and only go up to a paltry 2 Mbps of upload speed, which I DO care about.

To the community, please like this post if you agree!

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

jabs
I've Been Here Awhile
They can't make these changes soon enough for my area. I work from home and there's no way I'm going to pay $100 a month for just 2mb/s up speed.

oc0544
I've Been Around

I have been harassing rogers via email and phone for about 6 months now regarding their upload speeds. Apparently 10mb is available in TO (somewhere) they are starting the testing there, I live in Ottawa they couldn't give me a timeframe for availability here but said it is on the horizon. I will see if I can find the email to post.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive there was 1-2 people in another thread that chimed in that they were able to get it changed over to the 10up.

They probably have to test the infrastructure, to make sure that the 10up works along with everything else.. last thing they need it to rush and push it out to everyone.. then all of the sudden BOOM no internet for anyone 😛

oneupcanuck
I've Been Here Awhile
I agree 100%, Rogers upload speed is pathetic. Nobody needs 28 or 50 Mbps down. It makes no difference when you upgrade to those packages but what everyone needs more of is upload!!!!

Hughh
I've Been Around

No offense, but don't hold your breath. 

Like everything else with Canadian telecomm, the big 3 will ONLY one up each other by little bits and have no intention of provding us, the consumer, what we want.

This upload speed debate has been ragin for well over a decade with all of the major companies giving the same "wait, it's coming!" excuses.  The real reason we don't get reasonable upload speeds is not the technology (I was with a Bell reseller who provided 5M up back in 2004) but mainly because the money isn't there.  They provide blastingly fast download speed to encourage high usage and subsequent overage charges but the upload speed required to stream video as per the OP would need only a small increase which wouldn't generate the same bandwidth usage.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had 10mbs up for several months now. I do not have the latest package either that is 150 down 10 up. I have the service that is $99 per month works out to $87 since I do have bundled package.

I did this speedtest 2 minutes ago. I'm in Aurora, Ontario so I'm in the GTA I'd imagine many areas have it. Ironically when I called rogers they weren't aware of it or couldn't find it in the menu options but in store they found it right away.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2258839698.png

Another note the new 150 / 10 package requires an "enhanced" modem so if you've previously purchased a modem like I did you'll have to come up with $199 for a new modem or $8 per month for that package and $122.99 a month for the package which doesn't increase you monthly download of 250g. Not worth money in my opinion with a crappy 250g cap.

savant
I've Been Around

My upload speeds with Rogers (DOCSIS2.0) seems to have deteriorated during the past 5 years.I was achieving uploads at close to twice the current 0.50 Mb speed I see during the past year.  I note that other (nameless) companies who lease bandwidth from Rogers cable are offering better upload and download speeds with DOCSIS3.0 modems at quite competative rates. Any experiences?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately competitors info, you would have to get elsewhere.. (there are many other forums which discusss all the companies with no bias).

Rogers, and the TPIA compainies which lease from them, will all provide higher uploads, if you are using a D3 modem/gateway.