cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

First off, I'd like to mention, I'm currently quite happy with my download speed and latency. Since moving to where I live, I've had great download speed (averaging 4.0-4.2 MB/s download from Steam with Extreme+) and no connection issues. However, I am an avid gamer.

A phenomenon that is becoming more common in the gaming world is streaming gaming footage via a self-streaming website like Twitch TV... you can share your game footage with friends, show them something cool that you found, or show off your skills. If you're in a beta you can allow the gaming community to view it "through your eyes". If you play an MMO, you might stream footage of you and your guild achieving a world first or difficult kill!

Self-streaming however, requires upload speed. The more, the better. With low upload speed, the video quality degrades heavily whenever there is motion. Having even 5.0 Mbps would allow for decent stream quality - allowing text to be legible to a viewer. 10.0 Mbps would allow for Crystal Clear HD Self-Streaming!

I would like to submit a request for higher upload speed caps, especially on the higher end packages. I know this forum is probably not the best place to do it, but I don't know of anywhere else I can even submit a request. Rogers is unfortunately on the very low end of upload speed caps. Even competing locally against Bell, while Rogers wins in availability and download speed, Bell upload speed is much higher, peaking at 10 Mbps on their Fibe 50 service - as opposed to Rogers Ultimate peaking at 2 Mbps.

For a reference from down south, I just quickly pulled up the Comcast website from the US:

Please consider raising your upload speed caps. Having Rogers best plan available being unable to compete with Comcast's value plan on upload speed is depressing. I would be willing to pay for a plan with a boosted upload speed - If extreme plus was offered for $80/month with 5.0 Mbps I would gladly subscribe. It's just galling to pay $28 more for a giant amount of download speed (that I don't need/care about) and only go up to a paltry 2 Mbps of upload speed, which I DO care about.

To the community, please like this post if you agree!

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

dkos1127
I've Been Here Awhile

Im also trying to stream on twitch tv while still playing online. To get a good stream quatlity i have to stream at 1500kbps and that eats up my bandwith and i cant play online. I hope they increase their speeds or at least have an option to pay more for a 10, 7, 5, or 3 mbps upload. I hope someone from rogers adresses this and takes action

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

As of yesterday Bell made

10Mbps upload over copper STANDARD: 15/10, 25/10 (entire VDSL2 footprint)

Symmetrical speeds over fiber STANDARD: 50/50, 175/175 (entire FTTH footprint)

To top it off everything costs at least 20% less than comparable offers from Rogers. The only exception is the 175Mbps package. So there's really only two options if Rogers want to retain customers, deeply discount internet or beat Bell's speed. Good luck Rogers...

dkos1127
I've Been Here Awhile

Thats interesting, although i just asked i customer service rep and they said it uses a dsl line, they could be out of the loop though. Does this mean rogers will upgrade theirs to compete with the new bell speeds?

Actualy, i just compared them.. Rogers plans, are $2 cheaper at the lite and express level.. extreeme is $2 more from rogers.

Bell is faster download at their lower level, but the next two, rogers is faster on the download on express and extreeme.

But you are correct on the bell offering better upload across the board. (as of even the last two weeks, looks like they are no longer offering their regular DSL anymore either, its all fibe)

I totaly give you that bell is beating rogers out and they need to change things to compete.

But just keep an eye out when comparing prices.. the 20% saving you are showing, are the discounted prices for the first 6 months, after that the prices do go up.  While yes its a deal to start.. almost any provider, incuding rogers, has these when you first sign up.  Best to always compare at the regular prices.

@dkos1127 wrote:

Thats interesting, although i just asked i customer service rep and they said it uses a dsl line, they could be out of the loop though. Does this mean rogers will upgrade theirs to compete with the new bell speeds?

Its correct.

Fibe internet... is not quite what they make it out to sound like.  Yes its fiber optic.. that is how they send the information from Bell outwards, over that (as oposed to twisted pair copper phone lines).

UNLESS you have a neibourhood which is fully fiber optic wired, and its connected then back out to bell.. what comes into your house on Fibe, is not fibre optic.. is normal twisted pair copper.

The fiber goes to the nearest demark spot that the fiber goes to.  Then from there.. its twisted pair phone line to your house.
Now, they normaly use a 2nd set of lines.. to leave the full bandwitdth open.. as oposed to the old DSL sharing potentialy with your phone line.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

All plans 25/10 and below are delivered on copper. It's VDSL2. See those brown boxes on every other street corner with little cabinets hanging off the sides since 2004? Those are meant for faster internet speeds and IPTV. They bring fiber to your neighbourhood and run copper the last few hundred meters to your home. On DSL the shorter your distance the faster your speed. 100/100 over VDSL2 has been common in Europe and Asia for years where ISPs place hardware in the basement of buildings. Hopefully in a couple of years we see more offers like that.

Rogers is toast for now. Simply put, Rogers network is years behind on upgrades. Their network is not ready for DOCSIS 3. If they offered more than 2Mbps now, I am pretty sure almost everything would break.

50/50 175/175 are delivered on real fiber. It's not available everywhere yet, only Atlantic Canada, Quebec City, and some parts of Montreal, London, Woodstock have been upgraded.

Rogers has 'real fiber' too, but I haven't seen more than a single person ever talk about it on the internet. So it's probably safe to conclude they are years behind Bell rolling out next-gen broadband too. Maybe they should stop getting distracted by billion $ purchases of sports teams and media companies and focus on improving their existing service, the "bread and butter".

The only reason I'm with Rogers and I would stay is if they continue to offer great promo or retentions deals. They can "buy time" that way for savvy customers, but the minute contract expires or prices increase I'm leaving lol.

Vexsanity
I Plan to Stick Around
I think we're starting to get off topic a bit, let's keep talking about upload and how we want more of it.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

We're not going off topic. Just proving the point that upload matters to people. And how Rogers is so inefficient and slow they can't even keep up to its only single internet competitor. It's not like they have 5 companies to compete with. It's one. Bell. So what's the problem?

Yes. We need more upload. Consumer and business cloud storage services are ballooning. Dropbox, Box.net Google drive, Amazon S3. Good luck backing up your hard drive somewhere 'off-site' at 2Mbps.

invisiman
I've Been Here Awhile
For what it's worth, I'm getting the bell 25/10 Internet installed tomorrow. If Rogers can't offer me more upload bandwidth, then they are of no use to me, since I do a lot of cloud backups, and VoIP calls during slow backups just don't work. Not to mention the bell plan is cheaper and I can pay for more bandwidth, rather than upgrade my plan. There were too many benefits to bells service, that I couldn't pass it up. Sorry Rogers, this isn't 2005 anymore... You need to get with the times and offer better, faster service or you'll be out of customers in a few years. Food luck folks.

From talking with a tech manager at my house yesterday.. they do plan on it.. but its getting it available is the issue... there is alot of rogers ifrastructre to change to get them ready for it, and thats the hold back.

Though.. this is the way with Bell as well.

NOT every area is Fibe ready.  In ontario at least.. you are looking at Toronto and JUST surrounding, Kitchener/waterloo i beleive.. and maybe a few other places.

Currently from bell.. my ONLY option where i live.. is their 5m down/800k up service..... vs i can get rogers highest package. (and im not in the middle of nowhere either.. im only less than an hour north of Toronto)

So while i agree.. Bell is pushing the envelope and will be setting the standard that rogers have to live up to, in terms of upload speeds..
Its not a 100% competitor yet, until it can offer those speeds EVERYWHERE.

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

@Gdkitty wrote:

...NOT every area is Fibe ready.  In ontario at least.. you are looking at Toronto and JUST surrounding, Kitchener/waterloo i beleive.. and maybe a few other places.

Currently from bell.. my ONLY option where i live.. is their 5m down/800k up service..... vs i can get rogers highest package. (and im not in the middle of nowhere either.. im only less than an hour north of Toronto)

I'm in the same boat Gdkitty... I also can only get 5m/800k DSL while I can get the highest Rogers package, otherwise I probably would have bit the bullet and switched by now. Funny story, I live in the Kanata technology park... within sight of one the largest telecommunications companies in the world (Alcatel-Lucent). Too bad I couldn't convince them to share!

However, while there may be operational challenges, it kinda sounds like an excuse. I hope Rogers truly realizes the need to improve their network at a faster pace. Please continue to like the first post to highlight this issue to any Rogers staff reviewing the forum. Let's do our best to continue to make them aware of what their customers want!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am in no way, saying rogers shouldnt improve their network.. i am all for it in the end 🙂

I just know there may be limitations, and will take time.

Just trying to make sure that others, before they join on the same bandwagon of OMG IM SWITCHING TO BELL.. they look into it first 🙂

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

Where do you live Gdkitty? An hour north of Toronto it sounds like you are in a pretty rural area. You must have farm land within walking distance.. Unfortunately Rogers has a true monopoly on certain areas. It sounds like you guys live in one of them.

Even in the cities, where a neighbourhood has 30,000 people per 2 km square (e.g. downtown Toronto) Rogers is not offering anything faster than 75/2. Bell on the other hand is virtually everywhere in high populated areas with IPTV and faster internet. There is no excuse for Rogers to fall so far behind... the demand for fast upload is here, it's the supply that's being tightly controlled for no good reason.

I live on the opposite side of the lake from Barrie.

Our population is 45,000.. so by no means a small town.
Bell telephone.. not a problem, service everywhere... but their infrastructure out to there.. must suck to not be able to provide higher...

Like you said.. rogers in that way, must hold the monopoly, that they DID put their infrastructure out to there.

But i just did some checking.. Aurora (20 mins north or toronto) luckily has up to the 25m bell service... but 5 more mins up to newmarket... down to the same lowest 3m service. (and newmarket and aurora are by no means rurual areas, newmarket population is over 85,000).

I just want people to be aware of that.. before they start trying to jump wagon.. that they may not HAVE the bell choices, where they are... nothing more.  I 100% agree on that rogers should be upping them.

Oveall, i am hoping to see MORE change, after the analog drop.  I was talking to a tech manager at our house, and he confirmed the amount of bandwith that analog takes up vs digital.. with only digital signals.. that frees up ALOT of bandwith on the lines.... and then there is no real excuse for not freeing up some of that for higher upload caps 🙂

Vexsanity
I Plan to Stick Around
Any word on this from a Rogers rep?

Melais
I've Been Here Awhile

I should of screen shotted it didn't think it would be gone so fast I was just at the Bell site and they took the link down with 5 minutes of me seeing it but it appears they have a 175up/down package in the works for $129.99 a month with 300gb download cap. You heard it here first. Sad thing is now it says "Page not found" I didn't screen shot it 😕

Melais
I've Been Here Awhile

Ah it appears it's only available in Quebec I found the link again when I changed provinces. Still it's close to being a reality and I would hope that Rogers plays catch up real fast.

invisiman
I've Been Here Awhile
I'd like to comment again, now that I've had my Bell 25/10 internet for over a week now.

I can finally say that I'm getting what paid for and my connection is far more stable than my Rogers internet, which means YouTube and Netflix can buffer properly without stopping in the middle of the movie. That was a huge problem with the Rogers internet, even though speed tests were quite high, the connection was "jumpy" and not stable.

After speaking with a Rogers technician, it looks like they don't have the infrastructure to increase the upload limits. And unfortunately, they haven't started upgrading their existing infrastructure, so you guys will be waiting a very long time to get faster upload speeds .

The tech who setup my bell connection said my area will be greeting 50MB/S download AND upload sometime this summer. Rogers doesn't have a chance.

If you guys aren't locked in a contract, start looking for a better provider.

Good luck!

Like some of us have stated.. thats NOT an option unfortunately 😞

Interestingly enough.. just from the top of my head, and hearing the people who continualy complain of the problems.. seem to be in the more URBAN area.. (so more users, more bottleneck, etc?)  At least, these people are lucky that there is the infrastructure to switch over to a competior there.

Some of the more semi rural places, that isnt always an option.. but seem to suffer less from it.

I myself on rogers extreeme, dont have any stability problems and have always got my full bandwidth.. even though they have the monoploly here as well, the pure numbers are lower that a major urban area.. so may be less effected.

Some areas have been getting some infrastructure upgrades.. but still ALOT to go.  Hopefuly with the analog TV drop too, that will free up ALOT more usable bandwidth that can be alloted to upload for internet instead.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

FYI: Rogers has stealth increased the upload on the Ultimate package at no additional charge to 10Mbs. I don't know if this is available everywhere but in my town it is. On the terminal at my Roger Store there was an option "Aditional Upload Stream Speed Available" or something similar and sure enough after checking a few speed sites it is in fact 10Mbs under ideal conditions of course.

Link to my speedtest report.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1984981376.png

Rejoice! I really didn't want to switch to Bell.

dkos1127
I've Been Here Awhile

@Azuri how far away from toronto do you live, and has that upload speed been avalible all the time, or just recently. Also if anyone else doesn't have it it must becasue they upload speed is only avalible in some areas becasue i dont have it and i live in a town outside of london ontario.