cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

First off, I'd like to mention, I'm currently quite happy with my download speed and latency. Since moving to where I live, I've had great download speed (averaging 4.0-4.2 MB/s download from Steam with Extreme+) and no connection issues. However, I am an avid gamer.

A phenomenon that is becoming more common in the gaming world is streaming gaming footage via a self-streaming website like Twitch TV... you can share your game footage with friends, show them something cool that you found, or show off your skills. If you're in a beta you can allow the gaming community to view it "through your eyes". If you play an MMO, you might stream footage of you and your guild achieving a world first or difficult kill!

Self-streaming however, requires upload speed. The more, the better. With low upload speed, the video quality degrades heavily whenever there is motion. Having even 5.0 Mbps would allow for decent stream quality - allowing text to be legible to a viewer. 10.0 Mbps would allow for Crystal Clear HD Self-Streaming!

I would like to submit a request for higher upload speed caps, especially on the higher end packages. I know this forum is probably not the best place to do it, but I don't know of anywhere else I can even submit a request. Rogers is unfortunately on the very low end of upload speed caps. Even competing locally against Bell, while Rogers wins in availability and download speed, Bell upload speed is much higher, peaking at 10 Mbps on their Fibe 50 service - as opposed to Rogers Ultimate peaking at 2 Mbps.

For a reference from down south, I just quickly pulled up the Comcast website from the US:

Please consider raising your upload speed caps. Having Rogers best plan available being unable to compete with Comcast's value plan on upload speed is depressing. I would be willing to pay for a plan with a boosted upload speed - If extreme plus was offered for $80/month with 5.0 Mbps I would gladly subscribe. It's just galling to pay $28 more for a giant amount of download speed (that I don't need/care about) and only go up to a paltry 2 Mbps of upload speed, which I DO care about.

To the community, please like this post if you agree!

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

Hsing
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers is actually planning on increasing upload speeds, i believe free of charge. It is meant to be done slowly over several years, but many have already started receiving the newer speeds.

Ultimate is eventually meant to be 10 mbps, extreme plus 7mbps, extreme 3mbps, and express 2 mbps. 

Also those comcast prices/plans you posted couldn't be anymore misleading. The comcast prices listed are for the first 6 months, and then increase exponentially after a year. Their listed speeds are also including "powerboost" which means you need to subtract atleast 2-3 mbps from both the listed upload and download speeds to get the "real" rate which Canadian ISP's atleast have the decency to advertise.

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

I hate how sometimes sending a file takes so long that it would be faster to drive over and give the person the file on a USB key.

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've become fed up with the pathetic upload speeds that are offered from Rogers that I have actually today cancelled my internet service. I don't need 75Mbps down. I do need at least 10Mbps up. I do need unlimited data. It's so pathetic, that I've turned to using my cell phone (on LTE) when I need to stream or upload anything. I literally plug my phone into my computer a tether the data so I can reasonable upload speeds.

Pathetic.

TiredTom
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in the exact same boat as w0lf here.

I've been a few month livestream user for a community I take part in, and lately, a 1 mb/s upload speed on my extreme package has gotten me on the ropes as to switching from rogers to Bell all entirely. I'm currently in college, and I've taken upon myself to pay for internet, but I have a mother whom prefers to have 1 bill, and I've been gathering data  to convince her that switching to Bell may be cheaper with their plans, just to obtain better internet. After doing said reasearch,  I've become very, very disapointed in these upload rates, and wonder if switching would actually yield me better results. I'm going to wait just a while longer and hold off of my streaming to see if these rates actually DO change, if I can't find the faintest detail about any future plans, then I'll just have to move on.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

It would be nice if Rogers used "powerboost" in both directions instead of just download. That would improve average file transfer user experience across every tier immensely

BUT if you have video or other original content larger than 10-20MB, you just need higher upload rates period

10Mbps is the highest they'll go really? 75/10 is little, they are already 3 years behind Bells 25/7 offering. They should aim for 75/30 for the prices they charge... and Lite, poor grandma drawing pension money to pay Rogers $40/mo and gets deserted with 256kbps, she can hardly Skype to her family without choppy video. Come on! EVERYONE deserves at least 1Mbps in both directions, or else don't call it "broadband"

Kevin711
I've Been Here Awhile

Along with the increase in upload caps will be the increase in price.

TiredTom
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm sure more avid internet users would agree with me in not minding a slight price adjustment, lowered download cap, or newer package for better upload speeds. Or, well, those that know the advantages of better upload speeds.

mbazdell

Well as I said. I'd be happy to lose 25Mb download for even 5Mb mroe upload. I already paid enough and go over my cap all the time.

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who could use more upload. If you feel the same, please "like" the first post to raise the profile of this issue a bit.

TiredTom
I've Been Here Awhile

Are we likely to be adressed by a moderator or some sort of Rogers personel with any sort of update on our concerns in the future? 

RaedwulfGamer
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been aggrivated by their abysmal upload speeds. I'm on the verge of switching to bell. I do a lot of video editing and uploading to youtube. It takes a couple hours to upload videos, it has taken me a time of 5 hours to upload a single video once, and while uploading the entire internet is very slow.

I'm on their Extreme Plus plan. I can deal with a 15 mbps download if I had a 7mbps upload..I couldn't care any less for 32, 50 or 75mbps downloaded...

the times are changing, and upload speeds need to be a big part of the deal..Rogers is a bit thick in that regard. And to **bleep** with their 'taking years to switch'..because it'll just be too late by then

Bell only recently has started providing the faster upload speeds.. with the introduction of their FIBE... prior to that with only the DSL, they were actualy LOWER than rogers 😛

But yes, all in all, rogers need to up theirs to the same, to stay competitive.

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL!  That's not a plan, that's a dream.  Hope you're wrong.

Hsing wrote:

Rogers is actually planning on increasing upload speeds, i believe free of charge. It is meant to be done slowly over several years, but many have already started receiving the newer speeds. 

Ryked
I Plan to Stick Around
Heard a rumour that it will be July.....75 down 25 up.

Hope it's true.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Bell only recently has started providing the faster upload speeds.. with the introduction of their FIBE...

As someone who used that for years, I can tell you Bell's upload speed is not new at all. BES IPTV trials began in 2008, Fibe Internet launched in two provinces on February 2010, and Fibe TV in September 2010. So Rogers is 2 years behind Bell's official release dates, and 4 years behind the trial dates.

I switched to Rogers because my Bell 2-yr term expired and I got a good price here. But in downtown TO, Rogers haven't even enabled upload channel bonding with 64QAM yet. Also someone on my street has been waiting on a line burial to their house for over 5 years. What's up with that? Why is Rogers so slow? Why can they roll a technician truck the next day but maintenance can't bury some wire, split nodes and increase our upload speeds?!? Slow slow slow.

@chexmix wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

Bell only recently has started providing the faster upload speeds.. with the introduction of their FIBE...

As someone who used that for years, I can tell you Bell's upload speed is not new at all. BES IPTV trials began in 2008, Fibe Internet launched in two provinces on February 2010, and Fibe TV in September 2010. So Rogers is 2 years behind Bell's official release dates, and 4 years behind the trial dates.

I switched to Rogers because my Bell 2-yr term expired and I got a good price here. But in downtown TO, Rogers haven't even enabled upload channel bonding with 64QAM yet. Also someone on my street has been waiting on a line burial to their house for over 5 years. What's up with that? Why is Rogers so slow? Why can they roll a technician truck the next day but maintenance can't bury some wire, split nodes and increase our upload speeds?!? Slow slow slow.

The higher upload speeds are ONLY on the FIBE, and not their DSL.. thats what my original comment was based on.. Prior to the introduction of the fibe, and STILL on their current DSL, is lower than rogers.

While i dont argue that Fibe may have started comming back then.. its still not fully 100% available in as many places, least last i checked.  It has only been available where i am, since about xmas time.. comparatively that DSL and cable is more places.. and at that point, rogers is faster.

mbazdell

I'm amazed this only has 5 likes.

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

The interesting thing is that there are actually 7 likes on the post... I noticed within the first day that it had 4 likes and was top of the "most liked posts" list... and then the next day it had vanished, got more likes and reappeared, but has been at a "-2" from the real rating in the top posts list. Definitely odd.

Please continue to like the first post if you agree with it/are interested in higher upload speeds! Some interesting rumors from Ryked... maybe we can hope that they'll finally increase it!

Vexsanity
I Plan to Stick Around
I myself today was trying to stream League of Legends on Twitch with the 1 mbps upload and it just is not enough it lags terribly at 720p, 480p it runs better but I want the higher quailty and after looking at bells fibe I am wondering why Rogers isnt updating to compete with them. Upload is important to gamers, especially those that want or do stream. Rogers! Listen to your customers, increase the upload. Thanks.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have a source to this info. Funny I just came here to see if this topic was being discussed and sure enough it's at the top of the board.