cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

w0lf
I'm Here A Lot

First off, I'd like to mention, I'm currently quite happy with my download speed and latency. Since moving to where I live, I've had great download speed (averaging 4.0-4.2 MB/s download from Steam with Extreme+) and no connection issues. However, I am an avid gamer.

A phenomenon that is becoming more common in the gaming world is streaming gaming footage via a self-streaming website like Twitch TV... you can share your game footage with friends, show them something cool that you found, or show off your skills. If you're in a beta you can allow the gaming community to view it "through your eyes". If you play an MMO, you might stream footage of you and your guild achieving a world first or difficult kill!

Self-streaming however, requires upload speed. The more, the better. With low upload speed, the video quality degrades heavily whenever there is motion. Having even 5.0 Mbps would allow for decent stream quality - allowing text to be legible to a viewer. 10.0 Mbps would allow for Crystal Clear HD Self-Streaming!

I would like to submit a request for higher upload speed caps, especially on the higher end packages. I know this forum is probably not the best place to do it, but I don't know of anywhere else I can even submit a request. Rogers is unfortunately on the very low end of upload speed caps. Even competing locally against Bell, while Rogers wins in availability and download speed, Bell upload speed is much higher, peaking at 10 Mbps on their Fibe 50 service - as opposed to Rogers Ultimate peaking at 2 Mbps.

For a reference from down south, I just quickly pulled up the Comcast website from the US:

Please consider raising your upload speed caps. Having Rogers best plan available being unable to compete with Comcast's value plan on upload speed is depressing. I would be willing to pay for a plan with a boosted upload speed - If extreme plus was offered for $80/month with 5.0 Mbps I would gladly subscribe. It's just galling to pay $28 more for a giant amount of download speed (that I don't need/care about) and only go up to a paltry 2 Mbps of upload speed, which I DO care about.

To the community, please like this post if you agree!

***edited labels***

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

About 30 minutes North of Toronto so techincally GTA? Town is Aurora, next town south of Newmarket.

I'm not certain what the availibilty is area is and haven't seen it advertised by Rogers as of yet.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry I left out part of the question you asked. I've no idea how long it's been available I would guess not long at all no google searches brought up any info about this. I actually went into my local Rogers store to upgrade my package from extreme plus to the ultimate package becuase i really need the 2mb upload spead.

After adding the new package to my account the clerk noticed a comment in one of the fields saying "Additional Upload Speed Available At This Address" and since I just finished whining to her about how slow rogers upload speed is she didn't know what the comment was. She then call rogers tech support and ask and them what this comment meant and they said yeah he's (me) got 10mbs up so by the time I left the store and came home the new packages was on my line and bamm sure enough it was there. Even after speed boost is gone the D/L seemed faster then normal as well my lastest speedtest here is based on a off peak time so there is hardly any traffic at the moment but with speed boost I was at 110mbs down then it leveled out at the speed in the following link.

I'd recomend going directly to your local rogers store as internet changes to your account seem to be instant (upgrading or downgrading) when you call it doesn't happen for a few business days. Worth making some inquires it seems most rogers stafff don't know it's there and you actually will know if that comment is on their terminal where they view and make changes to your account.

I've verified it at other internet speed test sites too it's not a one off.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1985504296.png

Good Luck!

Vexsanity
I Plan to Stick Around
That's great but they need to increase it for all the packages, I don't want to pay 100 a month for better upload when we(canadians) already pay more for internet than anyone in the world.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Even when they do increase upload speeds and even if it were increased for all packages, I am sure it would be contingent on getting one of the Rogers garbage D3 modems!

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@ Vexsanity

I don't work for Rogers and I do agree the pricing is outrages and we shouldn't have to spend $100 a month to get 10up. Sorry I couldn't bring any good news in that area. Places in Europe have amazing down and up at the fraction of the cost we do, we are for certain get milked. 😞

invisiman
I've Been Here Awhile

I guess it shows the incompitence of the Rogers tech staff, who told me that the Rogers infrastructure cannot go more than 2mbs.

No matter though, I'm paying a lot less for Bell's service and I don't have online video buffering issues anymore 🙂

The reported higher upload speed.. MIGHT be a cause from the speed boost (though not sure if that only works on download).

But infrastructure, is part of it currently, at least in part.  Cable, while it has a much higher overall bandwidth that twisted pair, it is still very cloged right now, between internet, home phone, and ALOT of it being cable TV.
From the tech that i talked to, not exact numbers, but by the removing of the analog signals on the cable lines, they are going to gain about 1/2 of the bandwith available on the lines.. so alot more room to potentialy upgrade.

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

The spectrum re-allocation Rogers are doing is primarly to add more channels for their TV service. Not for any improvements to internet.

Rogers have enough upstream bandwidth (5 MHz and 42MHz) to do 106Mbps internet upload today.

Rogers problem is they are YEARS behind in FTTN upgrades. Upstream power levels are typically very weak and the best way to improve them, like DSL, is shorten the length of the cable run. The customers signal levels need to be improved so the switch to higher modulation signals doesn't knock their modem offline.

Rogers node density right now is at over 400 subs per node, for sure one of the highest in North America. You aren't DOCSIS 3 'ready' with that kind of insane over-subscription ratio.

Rogers need under 50 subs per node if they want to come close to competing with Bell. Bell's hardware has this low density built-in, they run 2/2Gbit uplink shared per 48 ports so they can offer way higher speeds on copper. On GPON FTTH Bell has 16 customers per splitter. Even lower! They could do 2.50/1.25Gbps to each household today where they have built this next-gen network.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@ Gdkitty speed boost is for download only my 10mbs up is sustained and doesn't fluctuate from the initial start of the stream unlike download where you have a spike at the start and then it tapers off and plateaus at or close to the advertised download speed.

dkos1127
I've Been Here Awhile

does this mean that rogers is not cabable of having the higher upload speeds because too many usuers are on the same node? im an internet noob

chexmix
I Plan to Stick Around

Problem is two fold dkos1127:

1) Upstream power levels for most customers on 'edges' of service need to be improved (i.e. decreased) so they have stable service. This means removing as many in-line amplifiers and splitters as possible. All that stuff does is consume extra power and create problems. By building nodes closer we lessen cable length, therefore have less houses to reach, less signal loss due to splitters and no amplifiers are necessary. Also the closer you build the easier the future upgrade path is for FTTH.

2) Node capacity. In an 8x4 setup you are sharing 304/108Mbps with x homes. It could be 400 homes, 2000, or 30. It all depends how much the provider wants to oversell.

We know exactly what channels Rogers uses for their 8x4 304/108Mbps setup, at least in Ontario:
Downstream (MHz): 591, 597, 603, 609, 615, 621, 633, 639
Upstream (MHz): 22.1, 25.3, 31.3, 38.6

By turning off analog TV, Rogers will simply have the choice to use some of those channels for internet in the future. They cannot in the short-term because there is no hardware on the market worth buying to take advantage of this new "free bandwidth". The 24x8 960/216Mbps Puma6 chipset announced recently is only being trialed in South Korea later this year.

For a 24x8 setup, Rogers needs to allocate another 16 downstream channels to the existing 8 for 24 total. These 24 downstream channels could then be used in two ways. Either in 1 24 channel set to deliver 960Mbps downstream or split into 3 8 channel sets of 320Mbps each. So a customers modem will tune 8 downstream channels of those 24 available. By doing this providers can maintain the same quality of service for customers and achieve triple downstream capacity on 1 node instead of installing three new ones (and obviously realize 75% savings).

Now since this whole thread is about upstream its worth noting there is precious little spectrum for upstream in the current DOCSIS standard. Upstream is limit to 8 channels. For upstream, Rogers could allocate another 4 to the 4 that exist now for 8 total and have 2 4 channel sets. The most we will ever see is 216Mbps upstream per node. Because of this cable is dead in the water for most business users, remote workers and others that require fast upload bandwidth.

I made this diagram to illustrate. Each home icon represents 50 homes: http://i.imgur.com/i5JrQ.png

Basically Rogers needs to reconfigure their topology to look like the bottom. They started that in 2010. Who knows what their progress is, haven't seen any progress disclosed. The last number I got was 350 subs per node in 2008. My guess is most Ontario and Eastern Canada cities are years away from a full upgrade. Bell has been bringing fiber less than 1KM close to the customer starting with ADSL2 remotes back in 2004, Fibe may not be available in the boonies yet but no matter what Bell got a 6 year head start.

CrazyCanuck
I Plan to Stick Around

For the money people pay for a capped bandwidth internet service its the least Rogers can offer. Obviously not everyone needs it but for the % of customers that do its the least Rogers can do for the massive bills they want paid every month...at least make it an option. Id be happy to pay extra for 5-7 mb upload speeds. Offer the option on your 2 top tier packages as an add on. I dont need 50mb download..i could just as easily live with 20, but i do need badly a higher upload.

Its bad enough i had to go premium for a rediculous $100 a month just to get 2 gig upload speeds. I have asked Rogers Customer service and been lied to twice already that it was being implemented in my area..Stratford,Ontario. Only to find out that CS lied to me and there are no plans what so ever for Stratford to get better upload speeds nor is it even planned. 

So...whats the story. 

Last i heard.. is that they are planning on doing it.

But it requires a few things.. incuding some infrastructure changes, so those have to be done in the area.

The droping of analog tv signals could free up some space too.

To remain competative, they will have to raise the upload.. but it may be simpler said than done.. i wouldnt expec an over night change.

Vexsanity
I Plan to Stick Around
Anyone heard anything new?

dnnnn
I've Been Here Awhile

You would do well to learn the meaning of the word, 'exponentially'.

TorontoPCS
I'm Here A Lot

Uploading videos to YouTube is still a pain and just forget about it if it's in HD. I get timeouts along with extremely slow upload speed. My partial solution was to hookup a nice Asus N router and disable router feature on my Rogers provided modem. Things are better now but still need more upload speed in this day of social sharing and constant uploading of such material.

I hope it will continue to get better for us Canadians.

Gen@TorontoPCS

Earache
I Plan to Stick Around
Why can't I "Like" this topic?

You have to click on the little thumb, not the text besides it.

I just liked your post.

Gen@TorontoPCS

Flocons
I've Been Here Awhile

Quick update on this topic, at least for my neighborhood - I recently decided to stop paying $7/month for my modem, and went to my local computer store and picked up my own. Anyhow, while I was on the phone with the technician getting that into the system, I slipped in the question regarding my upload speeds. It turns out that in my area, I have the option of 150Mbps down / 10Mbps up! That's the good news - However, the bad news is, they can't enable it because they tell me my router is not compatible (Cisco DPC3008), AND the plan costs $20 / Month more. 

Thanks Rogers!!!

jose
I've Been Here Awhile

im hating these upload speeds... they are a pain in the **bleep** and rogers doesnt give a rats **bleep** about us. That is why rogers never responds to post regarding upload speeds.

bell offers 10mbps upload for all the services and ill be happy to get only 5mbps upload with my Rogers Extreme Internet

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jose, if you happened to read the post above yours here.. you would find that they are planning to increse the up speed, they have in some areas already, and others are on the way.

In the end, its a infrastructure and hardware limitation.. which rogers is working on getting set up for everyone (some backend, some will require a modem change on their end).

Bell, prior to the intro of Fibe, was actualy LOWER that rogers upload.  Fibe is only able to offer it now, as they are brand new, so brand new infrastucture they could build with that included right from the start.