Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Requesting Higher Upload Speed Caps

From talking with a tech manager at my house yesterday.. they do plan on it.. but its getting it available is the issue... there is alot of rogers ifrastructre to change to get them ready for it, and thats the hold back.

Though.. this is the way with Bell as well.

NOT every area is Fibe ready.  In ontario at least.. you are looking at Toronto and JUST surrounding, Kitchener/waterloo i beleive.. and maybe a few other places.

Currently from bell.. my ONLY option where i live.. is their 5m down/800k up service..... vs i can get rogers highest package. (and im not in the middle of nowhere either.. im only less than an hour north of Toronto)

So while i agree.. Bell is pushing the envelope and will be setting the standard that rogers have to live up to, in terms of upload speeds..
Its not a 100% competitor yet, until it can offer those speeds EVERYWHERE.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Gdkitty wrote:

...NOT every area is Fibe ready.  In ontario at least.. you are looking at Toronto and JUST surrounding, Kitchener/waterloo i beleive.. and maybe a few other places.

Currently from bell.. my ONLY option where i live.. is their 5m down/800k up service..... vs i can get rogers highest package. (and im not in the middle of nowhere either.. im only less than an hour north of Toronto)

I'm in the same boat Gdkitty... I also can only get 5m/800k DSL while I can get the highest Rogers package, otherwise I probably would have bit the bullet and switched by now. Funny story, I live in the Kanata technology park... within sight of one the largest telecommunications companies in the world (Alcatel-Lucent). Too bad I couldn't convince them to share!

However, while there may be operational challenges, it kinda sounds like an excuse. I hope Rogers truly realizes the need to improve their network at a faster pace. Please continue to like the first post to highlight this issue to any Rogers staff reviewing the forum. Let's do our best to continue to make them aware of what their customers want!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am in no way, saying rogers shouldnt improve their network.. i am all for it in the end 🙂

I just know there may be limitations, and will take time.

Just trying to make sure that others, before they join on the same bandwagon of OMG IM SWITCHING TO BELL.. they look into it first 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Where do you live Gdkitty? An hour north of Toronto it sounds like you are in a pretty rural area. You must have farm land within walking distance.. Unfortunately Rogers has a true monopoly on certain areas. It sounds like you guys live in one of them.

Even in the cities, where a neighbourhood has 30,000 people per 2 km square (e.g. downtown Toronto) Rogers is not offering anything faster than 75/2. Bell on the other hand is virtually everywhere in high populated areas with IPTV and faster internet. There is no excuse for Rogers to fall so far behind... the demand for fast upload is here, it's the supply that's being tightly controlled for no good reason.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I live on the opposite side of the lake from Barrie.

Our population is 45,000.. so by no means a small town.
Bell telephone.. not a problem, service everywhere... but their infrastructure out to there.. must suck to not be able to provide higher...

Like you said.. rogers in that way, must hold the monopoly, that they DID put their infrastructure out to there.

But i just did some checking.. Aurora (20 mins north or toronto) luckily has up to the 25m bell service... but 5 more mins up to newmarket... down to the same lowest 3m service. (and newmarket and aurora are by no means rurual areas, newmarket population is over 85,000).

I just want people to be aware of that.. before they start trying to jump wagon.. that they may not HAVE the bell choices, where they are... nothing more.  I 100% agree on that rogers should be upping them.

Oveall, i am hoping to see MORE change, after the analog drop.  I was talking to a tech manager at our house, and he confirmed the amount of bandwith that analog takes up vs digital.. with only digital signals.. that frees up ALOT of bandwith on the lines.... and then there is no real excuse for not freeing up some of that for higher upload caps 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Any word on this from a Rogers rep?
I've Been Here Awhile

I should of screen shotted it didn't think it would be gone so fast I was just at the Bell site and they took the link down with 5 minutes of me seeing it but it appears they have a 175up/down package in the works for $129.99 a month with 300gb download cap. You heard it here first. Sad thing is now it says "Page not found" I didn't screen shot it 😕

I've Been Here Awhile

Ah it appears it's only available in Quebec I found the link again when I changed provinces. Still it's close to being a reality and I would hope that Rogers plays catch up real fast.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'd like to comment again, now that I've had my Bell 25/10 internet for over a week now.

I can finally say that I'm getting what paid for and my connection is far more stable than my Rogers internet, which means YouTube and Netflix can buffer properly without stopping in the middle of the movie. That was a huge problem with the Rogers internet, even though speed tests were quite high, the connection was "jumpy" and not stable.

After speaking with a Rogers technician, it looks like they don't have the infrastructure to increase the upload limits. And unfortunately, they haven't started upgrading their existing infrastructure, so you guys will be waiting a very long time to get faster upload speeds .

The tech who setup my bell connection said my area will be greeting 50MB/S download AND upload sometime this summer. Rogers doesn't have a chance.

If you guys aren't locked in a contract, start looking for a better provider.

Good luck!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Like some of us have stated.. thats NOT an option unfortunately 😞

Interestingly enough.. just from the top of my head, and hearing the people who continualy complain of the problems.. seem to be in the more URBAN area.. (so more users, more bottleneck, etc?)  At least, these people are lucky that there is the infrastructure to switch over to a competior there.

Some of the more semi rural places, that isnt always an option.. but seem to suffer less from it.

I myself on rogers extreeme, dont have any stability problems and have always got my full bandwidth.. even though they have the monoploly here as well, the pure numbers are lower that a major urban area.. so may be less effected.

Some areas have been getting some infrastructure upgrades.. but still ALOT to go.  Hopefuly with the analog TV drop too, that will free up ALOT more usable bandwidth that can be alloted to upload for internet instead.

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats