Replacing a remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Replacing a remote

A couple month ago our PVR went on the fritz, Rogers ultimatly ended up rolling a truck and the tech replaced the PVR....but for some strange, bizzare reason, would not give us the new remote and insisted we keep the (very) old one.

Well sure enough the remote is now dying.  Could have really saved us some trouble if he had just exchanged remotes along with the PVR.....anyway....

Is this going to be a whole sit on hold for 20 minutes thing, or can I just walk into a Rogers store with the remote, or are they going to want to swap boxes too, or what?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Replacing a remote

Hello @BFlow

You can just walk into any Rogers Plus store and ask them to exchange you the remote with a new one. They should be able to assist you with that and hand you a new one!.. You don't need to bring the box with u.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BFlow

You can just walk into any Rogers Plus store and ask them to exchange you the remote with a new one. They should be able to assist you with that and hand you a new one!.. You don't need to bring the box with u.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The remotes, they are universal.. any rogers box can use any of the remotes.

Unless there is an issue, it can often just be easier to keep the same same remote, as its already programmed to the TV, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

As @Meowmix said, Rogers will replace a defective remote. Maybe if you have one of the rare backlit ones, you won't get another one like it, but you'll get a brand new one. I messed up programming a DTA50 remote and could not get it to even work as well as it used to. I contacted Rogers and was told to bring it back to the store. They gave me a brand new one.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am in search of a Replacement remote for a Rogers HD 8300 PVR that I own, can I just call Rogers or go into a location to get another one free of charge?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup!
The remote, while your current one may be the 3 colored button vs the new ones are 4.. they are identical otherwise.
The codes of how the box is programmed hasnt chaanged.. so should just point and work just fine 🙂

Only thing you will have to do, is program your TV into the remote again, if you had done that before.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

But what nobody has mentioned is the 'new' remotes have a significant ergonomic failing compared to the older remotes.

There is a version of the older remotes that has the Exit key below the plus and minus keys on the right side of the remote (in the area where the remote bulges outwards).

And I CANNOT USE THE NEW REMOTES because I CONSTANTLY have to use the Exit key because the designers of the Rogers PVR's obviously never used a PVR enough in their real lives to notice that the stupid info screen that pops up at the bottom of the screen stays there for FAR TOO LONG - especially after you used the 'go back 10 second button.'  So if you are watching sports - and you want to rewatch a play - and you hit go back 10 seconds - the stupid information screen at the bottom of the TV takes up WAY TOO MUCH screen space, and lasts way too long - so I AM CONSTANTLY having to hit the Exit key - and on the old remotes it is located in an easy to find ergonomic location - but NOT with the new remotes where it is mixed in with easy to confuse other buttons.

But I rant because the Rogers Nextbox PVR's are VERY POORLY designed from an ergonomic user interface point of view.  I swear that the designers who made the decisions about the WAY THE BOX WORKS - have NEVER used a PVR in their real, daily lives.  There are just poor design decisions after poor design decisions.  One of the most blatantly obvious interface choices was when the Nextbox 2 first came out, if you watched part of a program, and stopped and went to do something else, and then came back and wanted to watch the remainder of the program - the DEFAULT highlighted option was TO BEGIN WATCHING THE PROGRAM AGAIN FROM THE BEGINNING. Dumb design decision.  And it took Rogers at least 6 months to change that design choice.

And I wouldn't rant so much if I wasn't reminded DAILY just how stupid the design choices were by some manager somewhere in Rogers who didn't really USE a PVR himself.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

And as I look at my remote - I'm reminded that the designers of the NB user interface just didn't THINK - or didn't care about the people who actually use their PVR every day.

What else am I complaining about?  It's the fact that if you are watching a recording, and you accidentally hit any of the On Demand buttons - the PVR yanks you out of the program you were watching - and when you go back to try to watch that program again - the PVR DOESN'T REMEMBER THE LOCATION IN THE PROGRAM where you had watched up to when you accidentally hit the On Demand button.

So if you've watched 50 minutes of a program, and you hit the buttons below the volume keys, you are thrown out of watching your recorded program - and into On Demand - and then when you TRY to continue watching your recorded program again - the PVR doesn't remember your place in the program - and it presents you with the option to start watching the program FROM THE BEGINNING.  You have to MANUALLY FF all the way to the spot you were when you were so rudely interrupted (by poor ergonomic button placement - AND poor PVR design.)

So to deal with this poor ergonomics - I've actually taken the step of performing radical surgery on my remotes.  Why?  Well, because I FREQUENTLY use two buttons - the Mute button and the Skip back 10 seconds button - and the Music button is located right between those two buttons - and I USED TO frequently hit the Music button when I was trying for Mute or Skip Back - and because the remote is not well enough designed for the buttons to be distinguishable by feel - and when I'd accidentally hit Music - I'd rudely be thrown out of watching my recorded program and be sent to the useless Music channel (or wherever - I don't know because that button doesn't exist for me anymore).

So what did I do to solve this poor ergonomic design?  I performed a buttonectomy surgery on my remote.

I set me remote on the floor, and used the big toes on my left and right feet to hold each end of the remote down - and then I took a pair of needle-nosed plyers to grab that pesky Music button and pull it up way out of the remote - and then I used a sharp exacto knife to slice that button off at the waist.  And now that button does not rise above the hard plastic surface of the remote - and I never hit the button accidentally again.  (The surgery is sort of similar to another type of surgery that is performed on very young male babies ...  ...    - Oh - never mind.  The mods will cut that part out of this post.  🙂   )

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre wrote:

But what nobody has mentioned is the 'new' remotes have a significant ergonomic failing compared to the older remotes.

There is a version of the older remotes that has the Exit key below the plus and minus keys on the right side of the remote (in the area where the remote bulges outwards).

And I CANNOT USE THE NEW REMOTES because I CONSTANTLY have to use the Exit key because the designers of the Rogers PVR's obviously never used a PVR enough in their real lives to notice that the stupid info screen that pops up at the bottom of the screen stays there for FAR TOO LONG

I have the "old" remote with my SA8300SD upstairs and the "new" one with my SA8300HD, which I got later, downstairs. There is a difference, but I quickly got used to it. If you prefer the old one, maybe Rogers can exchange it for you at the store, but I don't believe they refurbish old remotes, just throw them away. There was also a backlit remote similar to the "new" one. Other differences, the new one has a "D" button that supposedly displays the weather on Nextboxes (or did before Navigatr) and a Menu button which does the same as the Guide button on mine. The new one also has phone dial letters below the number buttons, I don't know what for. I expect the remotes were designed by Universal Electronics for SA/Cisco. I believe the large Info and time graph screens were another "improvement" switching from SARA to RTN and I don't know what Navigatr does.

3remotes.jpg

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre I loved your surgery mod, but some things you just have to get used to instead of fighting them. It ain't that hard. I have my own idiosyncrasies. I've ridden bicycles with the front brake on the right for over 60 years and always change them that way. I started riding motorcycles on an Eastern European bike with the shifter on the left and that governed what bikes I owned. They were all standardized like that later. When I drive my automatic transmission beater car after driving my Camaro, I often try to press the clutch pedal that isn't there.