Replacing Rocket Hub without changing plans

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbae
I've Been Here Awhile

Replacing Rocket Hub without changing plans

I'm experiencing reoccuring outages to my wireless Internet service and have to repeatedly power the hub off and on to reconnect. Tech Support has no clues why and feels my 6 year old hub (Netcomm 3G25W) is likely the cause. I'm fine with outright purchasing the latest LTE hub (ZTE MF275) but want to keep my existing data plan which suites my needs. Since I plan to buy the hub upfront, I want some reassurance that changes won't be made to my plan by Rogers behind the scenes or after the fact. I'd appreciate any feedback or experiences others may have had in this regard.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersMaude

Re: Replacing Rocket Hub without changing plans

Good evening  @bobbae,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

To answer your question simply, yes, it is possible for you to keep your current plan if you wish to simply change your rocket hub device. This is valid in the case where you currently have a rocket hub plan and wish to continue the same category of device and if you purchase the equipment outright.

However, I wanted to bring to your attention that since your hub will be more perfomant, you might want to think about changing your plan in order to have access to the faster speeds your new device allows.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersMaude

Good evening  @bobbae,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

To answer your question simply, yes, it is possible for you to keep your current plan if you wish to simply change your rocket hub device. This is valid in the case where you currently have a rocket hub plan and wish to continue the same category of device and if you purchase the equipment outright.

However, I wanted to bring to your attention that since your hub will be more perfomant, you might want to think about changing your plan in order to have access to the faster speeds your new device allows.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

bobbae
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. That's good to know. Is there any difference in cost if I buy the new hub at my local Rogers dealer (my personal preference) versus calling the Rogers call centre directly and ordering and having them ship it to me?
Once I have the new hub, do I simply insert my SIM card, power it up and make any required config changes (assuming set up instructions are provided) to make it work or do I have to call Rogers tech support to do anything to activate me?
Thanks
RogersMaude

Hello again @bobbae,

You can definitely pass by in store to purchase the new hub. There should be absolutely no difference in cost.

You can even call them ahead of time to make sure they have the model in stock. Please note that you will be required to pay for the equipment directly as it will not be billed to your invoice.

It is possible that you may need to activate the SIM card that will come with the new Hub, as the ZTE MF275R is compatible with a micro SIM.

The activstion can be completed at the retail location, through your MyRogers online profile, via live chat or on the phone with one of our agent.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

bobbae
I've Been Here Awhile

Well I went to the Rogers dealer in Orangeville (Prime Communications) today to pick up the new ZTE MF275R hub and after the sales rep took all my info and updated my account with the new hub, she (Alissa) then tells me the outright purchase cost is $285 plus tax. However, when I called them yesterday to get the cost and see if they had one in stock, I was told the purchase price was $239 plus tax. I am now being charged an extra $46 (plus tax) since I didn't go with the 2 year financing option. This wasn't explained to me yesterday so it's upsetting that they wouldn't back down on charging me $285. I'd really appreciate some help in getting a credit ($45 plus tax) back fron them given it was their mistake not to provide me with accurate pricing in the first place.

Thanks
bobbae
I've Been Here Awhile

So I got home with the my new Rocket Hub, opened the box and discovered that it requires a micro-sim card. I was told in the store that my old SIM card (regular sim) would work. In frustration, I went back to the store wasting more time and gas and returned the unit. I will never go back there again. Thanks for nothing Rogers Orangeville. Now searching for a store in Brampton that has a unit in stock.