Replacing Cisco Explorer 8642 HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Replacing Cisco Explorer 8642 HD

Greetings,

I have been having some serious problems with my Cisco 8642 HD the guide no longer shows any information about programs and that appears to have disabled the PVR functions of the device.When I reboot the PVR it takes up to an hour for the reboot to complete and channel surfing (which was already slow to begin with) has now become unbearably slow. I would like to replace it with with one of the newer netboxes. What I wanted to know was whether it would require a visit by a Rogers technician for installation or whether its just a simple matter of plugging it in. I tried to contact Rogers for answers but I got put on hold till I finally gave up and I tried their "Chat" method as well but it just counted down to 1 minute for "next available CSR" and then stayed there till I gave up.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Replacing Cisco Explorer 8642 HD

Hello Cognus

If you rented the 8642HD PVR then you can go to your local Rogers store & have them exchange it for the new Nextbox 3.0 ( 9865 ) box. The cost will be a difference of $1.50 or so a month.

Once you get the new box, plug it in & let it run its course!
I'm a Senior Advisor

If all you're doing is swapping a box, no tech visit is required.

Are you renting your 8642?  If so, then just go to any Rogers store and swap it for an NB3

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I am renting the 8642 HD

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Cognus

Then all you need to do is go into your local Rogers store & have them exchange it for a nextbox 3.0 box ( 9865). They will add it to the account & then pass it on to you. Go home, plug it in & let it download / do what it needs to do.

You should be set!
I Plan to Stick Around

Understood, thanks for your help.

Cheers !

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Cognus

You are welcome!
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a fix for the Cisco Explorer 8642HD for those who own them. I only get 2 -3 channel and the rest are greyed out on the guide.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello richardp

Have you tried contacting Rogers Cable department and see what they can do or fix it on their side? Are all the cables plugged it? Have you tried rebooting the box and see if the channels come back?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Greyed out on the guide.. is usually unauthorized?

Wondering if the box has lost its authorization..  Best to call back in, and make sure that the box it on the account properly and re-authorized.