Repair Nightmare

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Repair Nightmare

Does anyone have tips for getting a repair issue dealt with? Also are there any tips for getting an issue escalated as I've been sent all around, and have had a repair shop sit on the issue for over a week without doing anything.

May 17 - Buy an Xperia Play from Futureshop, outright no contract.

Sept 3rd - The phone stops working. I take it to Futureshop and they tell me they only deal with phones that have extended warranties. 

Sept 6th - Go online find a Rogers store that lists repairs, go there and she tells me to come back later becuase their system is down.

Sept 7th - Back to the same store and get told they only handle repairs on phones they sold. Told to go to Rogers plus.

Go to Rogers Plus and get told that it will take 3+ weeks due to mailing, and tells me to take it to another shop which handles repairs in house.

Head down to the specific store, they take the phone, fill out the paperwork, and head out. I'm told a 10 buisness day return time.

Sept 8th - My phone gets rejected by the Rogers repair shop with the note  "IMEI is not visible on the account.  Please update the profile."

Sept 16 - The repair shop calls to tell me that "Rogers says this isn't a Rogers phone so we can't repair it". I convince the guy on the phone to forward me the email that says that, find out the sept 8th rejection of "IMEI is not visible on the account". 

I call Rogers and try to update the IMEI (from the one listed in the email, since I don't have a record of it). The guy tells me that "That IMEI is already on someones else's account".

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I'll have to dig out the receipt to prove that I bought it I guess, I hope I still have it. Even if I do, who do I go to? How do I prove that it's my phone, and why would it be registered to someone else anyways? Does this mean that I bought a used phone?

It's just frustrating, I'm out of town right now, and even if I deal with this first thing on Monday, it won't be untill October 3rd that it comes back. Which is a lot longer then the 10 buisnesses days I was quoted.

Is there any way to have Rogers investigate why 3 stores (place I bought it, and 2 listed as repair dealers on the website) wouldn't accept my phone? Not to mention why a repair shop would not do anything for a week after being told there is a problem?

***edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Repair Nightmare

Okay good news, the IMEI thing was sorted out, looks like they got mixed up between two different phones in for repair. So yay for that. Still frustrating that it took over a week to sort out 😞 10 more buisness days untill my phone is back.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well that sucked. Just got my phone back, repair was denied due to "Water Damage" despite the fact that it stopped working after an update, and has never been exposed to water.

Timeline of my fun with repair.

Sept 3 - Phone stops working.

Sept 7 - Drop phone off at store.

Sept 8 - Phone rejected by rogers for repair because of an IMEI issue.

Sept 16 - Get called and told about the IMEI issue, fix myself despite that the store had clear instructions of what to do by Rogres.

Sept 20 - Repair centre finally receives my phone.

Sept 23 - Repair centre rejects my phone.

Sept 29 - Called shop to find out what was taking so long, and get told the phone just arrived.

Never seen service so bad, even ignoring the fact that it was denied, 13 days to get my shop to the repair facility, 6 days to get it back? 😞

$650 well spent for 4 months of service 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

Once the repair facility deems your device to have water damage, you're on your own. The ONLY time I have seen it covered under warranty, and I have seen it MANY, MANY Times is with an iPhone! The warranty/repair service with Apple is impeccable. For example, I know someone who went canoeing and didnt put their iPhone in a waterproof seal. The canoe flipped. And the phone was dead. An Apple Genius rep made an exception and replaced his iPhone.  This happens quite a bit with Apple. There are many reasons why Apple is leading in the Smartphone market. This is just one of them! Smiley Happy

I've Been Around

Glad to hear that I am not the only one having the dilemma. I have the same experience and am still waiting for my phone (I wonder why it takes too long to be returned...)

Sept 23, 2011 -- bought my iphone (HTC EVO 3D)

Oct 26, 2011 -- phone just stop working (can't turn on). Went to the nearest Rogers shop and sent for repair on that day

Nov 5, 2011 -- received a call from the Rogers shop where I sent my phone, saying that the phone is out of warranty due to evidence of OOW detected. Available offers: Repair, customer pay out of pocket $300.00, Repair, Rogers pay half $175.00, replaceable phone which is not the same as I bought, or decline. 

*** I declined the offer, as I don't understand why should I pay for the repair - I didn't break the phone it just died by itself. And I don't want to settle for a replacement phone which is not the same as I originally have. I bought the phone @ $199.99 (with a $50.00 mail-in rebate) and I'm going to pay for repair at $175.00 or $300.00, I don't get it... what's the warranty good for?... 

Nov 26, 2011 - Until now I am still waiting for my phone to be returned...

I Plan to Stick Around

I heard similar stories from a lot of people  I work  with, For every single small repair issues, Samdungs response is WATER DAMAGE, there are cases that battery is not charging oh its WATER DAMAGE, software upgrade went wrong - ans is simple WATER DAMAGE. Its the only excuse for them to void the warranty so it will be customers responsibility and pain and suffering.

SAMSUNG turns out to be famous for this, reasons for water damage are  condensation from atmosphere/ sweat in ur hands/ moist in ur pocket...

Seems like someone on the other end is stealing money from Rogers for repair cost and blaming on water damage, end result is the poor customers suffer.

I was surprised why Rogers is not standing up to their customers and questioning the manufacturer ? Or all your customers are dipping their phone in a pool. I really doubt that...

I send my phone after an upgrade went wrong and waiting almost 5 weeks now with no ans, will not be surprised if they say water damage ..

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you read the warranty papers in the box with the phone, you will see what the warranty does cover & what it does not cover. This is something barely anyone reads & always complain in the end. Any Water damage of any kind will ruin the warranty. Each phone has a little white thing on the back inside the phone which if it turns pink, it means its been in water or something similar.

Warranty only covers if the phone dies by it self without having any physical damage done to it OR the OS bugged out & wont turn on & in some cases it they may cover the battery.

Samsung is not doing anything wrong here. Its the customers half of the times do not understand what the warranty covers & does not cover. I suggest reading the warranty book that comes in the box with the phone to understand more about it.

The phone takes 4-6 weeks to get back as some cases. Repairs take mostly around 1-2 weeks to be done. Remember, Weekends are no working days for them. They work Monday - Friday. Also your phone is not the only phone being sent it. Many other phones are being sent in for repair & yours could next be inline to get repaired.

When you send the phone into repair threw Rogers, Samsung has nothing to do with it. Rogers repair techs will see the phone & decide what will go down. IF anything in some rare cases the phone may be sent to Samsung.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay Mr ,

I am talking from my experience here,

I did a software upgrade and it was slow, so I reformatted and installed and phone died right in front of me while I was performing the upgrade...So I took it straight to Samsung Montreal (Next to the Ikea)  where they do all the repairs. So I don't have to wait for Rogers.

Its a hidden office , and the lady at the counter took my phone and went inside, So while I am waiting there was another customer (old lady)  and a tech rep, Tech rep was trying to tell her hw can her phone have  water damage, Oh mam it may occur by holding it in ur hand and u may have sweaty hands,or its condensation from the atmosphere....the poor 40 yr old lady was shocked and respondning that she never used or took it outside her bed side table, I was laughing at the reps excuses..In a minute my rep comes back and says sorry the warranty is void because its a water damage.

Oooops I couldn't belive her words, So I asked her I would like to talk to the tech, so she goes inside and bring a tech rep and went to see the tech, in a minute comes back and tells me their tech confirmed its a water damage. So they won't be able to repair. SO hw did ur tech confirmed it , Oh our tech looked at ur charger input hole and he says there is rust in it so thats why the phone is dead and they can check unless I pay and its not covered under warranty.  And reasoning was exact same what they give to the other old lady (its condensation, sweaty hands, moisture in ur pocket)...I could belive her words, without opening the phone back their tech decided mine is water damage, while its a software installation went wrong.Even though i mentioned it can be fixed by a software fix....No their response "our tech who went to school confirms it water damage "

I checked my phone and its sticker is pure white and They didn't bother opening the back cover to check before concluding that its a water damage and warranty void....

My last choice was to approach the rogers store and let them ship it , So thats what I did, every 2nd week I was checking with the store if they recived the phone or not, the guys response was we will call u, so finally after 6weeks waiting the guy response to  my call that, they recived phone a week back.   And I picked it up and it works fine, and they replaced a bunch of stuff, its a software issue but i don't understand that but it works,

SO what happend to the samsungs intial water damage response ? So I guess it depends on the mood of the  tech and reps, Sad that there is no quality control. and Customers have to be the one suffering. Now I will hesitate a bit before buying or recommending samsung to anyone.

BTW I checked the papers and my phone was repaired at teh same place......In total It took  7 weeks and I have to bother rogers to see if they recived my phone back....So I don't think Samsung and rogers are providing support to their customers or value the service, The Tech and reps are representing the brand and the companies should evaluate to set a basic standard ...instead making unresonable excuses to make paying customer life a joke

Both samsung and roger lack quality support 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

The thing is you are blaming Samsung meanwhile Rogers techs told you its water damage :/. Nothing in ur post indicates that you spoke to Samsung or had a Samsung tech support agent look at the phone. It seem you do not know who to blame and you are blaming both for no reason.

While i do agree blaming Rogers is true. Next time, take a picture of the white strip and the phone before sending it in.. This way they can NOT say anything to you because you have proof of how the phone was before sending it in for repair.

It does not take a week or 2 to fix a phone with Rogers. Once the store takes the phone from u, they need tk contact UPS for then to send them a waybill and pick it up the next day. Depending on where you live it may take 4-5 business days to get the package delivered to the warehouse. Once at the warehouse, the will see the package and send it to the repairs department. This is the point it will take time because they may have other phones in line. Urs is not the only phone they have to see.

You do not need to contact Rogers store every day to see the status on if they got it. They told you they would contact you and they did.

Anyways all in all it seems Rogers said its water damage when you are claiming its not. You seem to blame Samsung for NO reason seeing as Samsung has NOTHING to do with this because the repair reps are workers of Rogers NOT Samsung. The repair workers are the same people repairing the Blackberries, Sony, Nokia, Samsung, HTC and other phones being sent in..
So blaming Samsung is not really fair :/.

I do understand your frustration and all. I have been threw it as well.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:
The thing is you are blaming Samsung meanwhile Rogers techs told you its water damage :/. Nothing in ur post indicates that you spoke to Samsung or had a Samsung tech support agent look at the phone. It seem you do not know who to blame and you are blaming both for no reason.

@ppt wrote:
I did a software upgrade and it was slow, so I reformatted and installed and phone died right in front of me while I was performing the upgrade...So I took it straight to Samsung Montreal (Next to the Ikea)  where they do all the repairs. So I don't have to wait for Rogers.

And...

@Hmm wrote:
There are many reasons why Apple is leading in the Smartphone market. This is just one of them!

Android has over 60% of the global smartphone market share... Apple doesn't use Android... Deductive reasoning would imply Apple has less than 40% of the smartphone market so clearly it can't be leading.

Lastly is my advice on warranty work. Have Rogers tech support from the call center send you out a new/refurb phone for $35 and send in your old one. Have sent in many phones without ever having any issues. **bleep**. One of them fell in a bathtub and the screen died from water damage. Have never had any problems this way and I'm out a phone for 1 day at most.