Renewing Pay-as-you-Go

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Renewing Pay-as-you-Go

I've had Rogers Pay-As-You-Go for many years. I get the $100/year option because it's the best value but I never use up $100 of air time, so my balance accumulates so long as I renew on time. (Once I missed the date and my balance dropped to zero, but I pleaded with the lady in the Rogers store and she gave it back to me.) I've always bought the $100 vouchers at the Rogers Store and they charged me $100 + tax.

A few years ago I received a letter from Rogers that my balance was over $200 and I could take the $100 from that to renew. That's what I've been doing ever since, so basically halving my yearly cost. I just had to ask at the store and the rep made a call to accomplish this. This is not a documented feature and you have to ask.

Well, my air time expires tonight at midnight, so I stopped in to the Rogers Store to renew and the young man said they don't do Pay-as-you-go in the stores and I have to do it by phone or on line. He said it's always been that way, but he didn't look old enough to have worked at Rogers or anywhere even a year ago. I told him I already tried by phone and could not get get a live person to explain I wanted to pay from my balance. So he gave me this number (1-800-575-9090) and said to press "1" to speak to a person.

When I got home I called and when I pressed 1 it just took me directly to Pay-as-you-go automated line and I could find no prompt for a live person. I searched for "live person" here and the advice was to keep hitting "0" over and over again. So I dialled the Rogers number I had (1-888-764-3771) and hit 0 until I got someone. She then transferred me to someone in Pay-as-you-go and I tried to explain what I wanted to do. The guy seemed clueless and in the end asked me how I was going to pay. Was he even listening? After explaining it again, there was a pause and I was bumped back to the first live person. Looks like he didn't know his job.

Okay, I got transferred to a lady in Pay-as-you-go who spoke perfect English with no accent, so I told her my story. No problem, she did it and told me my new balance and expiry date a year from now. She was deducting $100 from the old balance, not $100 + tax and I brought this to her attention, but she said there was no tax. Bonus! Anyway, I asked where she was located and she said the Philippines. How about that?

***Edited Labels.***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Renewing Pay-as-you-Go

@OLDYELLR Thanks for sharing, definitely not a good experience. Hopefully going forward you won’t have to try so many times to get your issue resolved Smiley Sad . I’m glad you eventually got your request met by the last agent. Not to mention saving on the tax Smiley Very Happy .

Thanks again for sharing.

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Congrats Old Yeller on having them take your renewal  funds out of your accumulated account balance . While I would not have been surprised to have had them say no...it is nice that they rewarded your  good customer status by taking it out of the accumulated funds.

That response protocol  from Rogers sounds very similar to many of my experiences  so we have to give them that ...they are consistent . 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would never have thought I could use surplus balanve to renew until I received a letter from Rogers when I had over $200. Seems it's an undocumented feature.

Since I only use my cellphone for emergencies  and take it with me when I leave home in case someone needs to contact me, I use very little air time. The $100/year deal is the most economical and I almost switched to 7-11 Speakout, which lasts for a year on all plans, $25, $35, $50 or $100, but being able to pay out of my balance when possible works too. Rogers would do well to extend the expiry to 1 year on all plans in order to keep customers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario