Removing a phone from our 3 year plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Removing a phone from our 3 year plan

We have 3 phones on our wireless plan and currently have one year left out of the three-year contract.  My daughter has gone onto her boyfriend's plan which means her phone with our plan will not be in use and we will be paying $60.00 per month for nothingSmiley Mad.  Will Rogers allow us to remove the phone, which will lessen our monthly bill without us having to renew our contract for another three-year term.  I don't really want to renew a contract at this time and be locked in for another three years!

****Edited Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Removing a phone from our 3 year plan

Yes, you can get out of paying the monthly bill on that.. but you have to pay to get out of the contract.

You would have to contact them.. there is a montly fee bases on how many months you have left (like $13 per month or something like that), plus a cancelation fee.  You would have to find out what it is, to be able to cancel the contract. 

Even if it is say $300 or something similar, that is only 5 months of $60, vs paying 12 months of $60.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GDkitty for your reply and for clarifying that.   I was concerned about the cancellation fee and find that every time that I call Rogers, they push, push, push for upgrades (with hidden costs) and talk all the cell phone jargonSmiley Frustrated and try to lock you in for another term which I don't want.  I was hoping that when the 3 years is over there are no longer these contracts to lock into with Rogers.  The Blackberry phone that my daughter originally had with this contract broke anyway (isn't that just the way with today's pathetic technology?!) and she got another one from another source, so it isn't even as if the original phone exists.  

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your daughter could have done a Transfer of responsibility with her line, and transfer out that "number" and its associated plan to her own account, therefor she would be financially responsible for it, and it would be under her name now, and you would not need to worry. for you to have a line under her name and her to go and open a new one is generally not a good idea, the only time people do this is if the lin under your name is not under any kind of agreement so you can easily cancel it and pay no penalty or port the number over to her, which also will cancel it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Pauly!  She went with her boyfriend's own business plan with another wireless provider.  My husband called Rogers to see what they could do and they said the options are either pay to cancel the contract which would be $265 or they could reduce her line charge to $20.00 per month plus GST for the year remaining which would amount to the same amount as above.  The alternative is to pay the remaining year at the present rate of $60.00 for her particular line - in total $720.00 for something that isn't in use.  

Does anyone know if Rogers are still doing these 2 or 3 year contract plans?  I thought I'd heard advertised by Rogers that some plans don't have to have contracts.  I just don't know if I want to be locked into a contract after this one is done as life circumstances can change in a three-period.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, the new stuff, is a little different.

While its a 2 or 3 year term.. its called the FLEX TAB now.

Pretty much, what it is.. is say you get the new  iphone, and they are giving you $600 off of it... what they will do, is every month you pay, you are paying that 600 / 36 months = 16 odd dollars off what they credited you.  Once you pay that off, everything is free and clear.  Vs before, you had early upgrade fees, and cancelations before the 3 year term, etc.

You still have to pay SOMETHING out, one way or the other.. but depending on the phone, its often quite less the new way.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for explaining that GDkitty!  I think I'm going to have to shop around when the one year is over with our plan.  I really appreciate all your help with this!  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The best thing to do, and this is not just for you firehorse, its for other members who might be in a similar situation like you, if your daughter (or son) is locked in a contract term, its best to let them fulfill the contractual obligations on this term, before moving to a new line, or even a new provider.

I had to wait out my contract with my other provider before i came to rogers. I WAS ready to sign the line at rogers but I realized I was still using another provider and had a contract so I simply just did a transfer of responsibility of that line under my own name, the contract remained the same so i had 2 years left, then i called in and found a better price plan instead of paying $60, i ended up paying $20ish per month, the extra 40 bucks i was putting away i put into my bank savings account ,so at the end of the contract, i was able to buy a phone outright and port my number to rogers, and i stuck with month to month on rogers, and i used the money i saved per month to buy the phone outright, not everyone really thinks of doing these, but then again, i sacrificed and it paid off for me. your mileage may vary

another thing ive seen is if kids leave their family and move somewhere else, they will pay the parents the equivalent of the ECF and go to a new company. my best friends parents made him do that, it also taught him financial responsibility and took the burden off his parents finances for his mistakes and financial decisions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not this is the case with your kid, but you do see it often enough.

"Mommy! i want the new iphone!"  So they go out, buy the iphone for the kid on contract.. then the kid breaks it, or wants to switch, etc.

Then the parrents are stuck.

My Son is only 2, so a little young for one right now 😛 but when he is old/mature enough, would i get him a cell phone? Possibly.  I might pay the $150-200 reduced price as a gift.   But if he wants his own cell phone, he will have to pay for the monthly bill (likely it will be bundled with ours, but his % of it.).  He will be made to understand.. that its a 3 year thing.. he cant get a new one, unless he pays it out, etc.

Bigest thing is finding the right plan, etc for them too.. having all the bells and wistles are great, but if you dont use them.  Most kids need texting and social.. if you dont need a regular data, dont get it.  They can usualy get wifi at home, school, etc anyways.

Paulys idea is great.. have them... heck you can even do it for you.  Put any extra you have aside every bill payment.. and save that up towards buying the new phone outright.  Too bad you couldnt do a partial thing.  Like say you had $400 towards a new iphone.. you could pay that $400, and then only what is left it broken down over the term.