Refurbished junk Nextboxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Refurbished junk Nextboxes

If I remember well I went through 3 or 4 Nextbox 2 with different issues in less than two years.

Before Xmas I got my Nextbox 3, which was really slow booting to start with otherwise was OK nothing more.

Today I lost all my PVR recordings 300GB roughly, I clicked on the a program recorded last night ang I got amessage , that I deleted it or there are no resources.

Did a reboot Nextbox displayed "BOOT" for about 15 mins it was frozen looked like.

Unplugged it again and about 20 later came back to life with ALL MY RECORDINGS GONE.

Scheduled recording list shows the same before.

Called tech.supp. was told to get a new one..I mean another crap refurbished one.

Less than two years  4 exchange on Nextcraps...

Viva Rogers...

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Refurbished junk Nextboxes

Hello ferencke

Hmm i have issues exactly like this on my 8642 HD PVR but never on my Next Box 3.0 box. I have had mine since the morning of the launch when it came out and not one issue at all. Mine boots within minutes. Mine BOOT stays for around a couple of minutes then boots. Mind you my box was brand new when i got it and every box has its own issues / problems.

This is where Rogers should be doing something. Instead of telling customers to get a new box, they should troubleshoot the problem and then say it if necessary. All if not most boxes from the stores are mostly refurbished if they do not have plastic around them. The reason why is because the boxes are sent it. Checked and then sent back to the stores for sell.
I'm Here A Lot

All the rental Nextcraps are refurbished, I doubt much is being done to them if sent back to repair/inspection whatever.

I picked up another one , looks like 5 yeras old all scratched , previous owner put few stickers on it the y did not even remove them, so much about care.

I know it means nothing just shows the attitude of rogers monkeys.

Now iam waiting for tech help to make this work, booted did everything I got black screen

Why the . we have to call for authorization when we switch boxes I mean craps?

Its only half an hour so far....all is well by CRAP-ROGERS standards...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ferencke

Not all of them are. There are some stores that get new ones like the store underneath the Rogers tower in Toronto and a few others. Most are Refurbished tho like you & i said.  Each box is different. Mine works  without any problems but when i had the 8642 box, i had so many issues / problems.

They get sent back, checked if there is any damage on the HDD or the box it self. If its fine, they sent them back out. The warehouse does not check software related issues, only hardware related issues. As for the scrachs on the boxes, they won't change the case unless its cracked / damaged to the point that something can happen. This again is the same with cellphones & boxes with Bell. They all do this. It seems that they all have the same issues. I have Bell Fibe & Rogers cable in the same house & see it lol. The stores / managers can NOT do much. All the can do is send the boxes back & sell them when they come in. The ones that really need to look at them is the tech center they go to. Again they deal with internals aka hardware & not the OS.

The reason you have to call in to authorize the boxes, is because each box has a different Serial Number & its a different box. If you return a box & i pick it up, i can not use it because the S/N is on your account & the box is only authorized to play under your account & only u, no one else. Bell again is the same way. Its a bit safer that way i find. All in all you are correct tho.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to consider as well.. unless you are stuck with the NB2 8642 (due to specific promotion for free rental or something) may want to consider going to the NB3.  They have been out for a much shorter period of time.  While the rental pool, may still be returned/refurbished boxes.. there is less chance of a really old one at this point.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

If you read the OP's post, they had the NextBox 2.0 but then got a NextBox 3 & has had issues with that box as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oops, sorry did miss that on the 2nd line.. was lookin at the first line.

Still holds though.. the NB3 would likely have a smaller pool of older boxes at this time, i would think

I'm Here A Lot

This one was made in 06/2013 so kinda new....

works now..

What pisses me off that they pretending we get a new box for rental...

When I got my first Nextbox2 tech guy brought it , was packaged like new....I did  not even think about it could be a used one.

3 year contract I signed and the box will be mine for a dollar at the end.

It should be advertised that if you sign a contract you get a refurbished box.

I am in St.Thomas ON, I was told at the store that every single unit for rental is a used one no exception.

You have to purchase one to get a new one.

On a second thought that sucks too, if I get a crappy one and screws up after the warranty period.

Happier New Year to us!!!

I'm an Advisor

I'm not sure being wrapped in plastic means it's a "new" box. When I had an NB 3 and took the first one back for exchange, it was wrapped in plastic. When I got it home and unwrapped it, the top of the box had lots of scratches. Guess that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't new, but it made me wonder. Also, the term "refurbished" gets used by many retailers for different things. To me, it implies something was done to fix a specific problem, but it often means that it's simply been returned, still in good condition, with a warranty to back it up.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jimboden

While that is true, some products that are new have some scratches on them. Remember the iPhone 5 with the scratches and dents? Brand new devices never been opened and yet had damage on them. My buddies Asus laptop brand new had scratches on the bottom of the laptop. Some stuff come like this from the factory. Search it up and see. I do do agree tho that some are just wrapped and sold as new and its rare.

Refurbished like u said has many meanings behind it. It means the product was sent back to be fixed and sent back to the store and OR thr product was just returned by the customer because they did not like it. Many stores have the meaning like this