Recommended antenna for Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Recommended antenna for Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S

Hello all,

First time poster here, and a search hasn't help me.

Has anyone any experience for the best/most appropriate external antenna for the AirCard 763 Mobile hotspot?  We'll be camping in some modestly remote locations and wanted to maximize range.

Would anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Recommended antenna for Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S

@kfischer:

the Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S appears to have the capability of using an external antenna connection.  I can recommend the Wilson 304411 log periodic antenna for your use.  I have been using this antenna for about three years now, and it is quite good.

Just watch where you buy it, and what price you pay.  I have seen it listed for prices ranging from $50 to $150 on various on-line websites.

Once you have the antenna you will need to make sure you have the correct coax pigtail to connect it to your Sierra card.  Make sure you purchase the correct one to go with your Sierra AirCard.

When you get to your camping location, you will need to aim the antenna at the nearest accessible cell tower.  You can find where this tower is on the following website:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

These antennas are directional.  This is what gives them their ability to pull in weak cellular signals.  So, aiming them at the tower you wish to use is important.

Good luck with this.

skinorth

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@kfischer:

the Sierra Wireless AirCard 763S appears to have the capability of using an external antenna connection.  I can recommend the Wilson 304411 log periodic antenna for your use.  I have been using this antenna for about three years now, and it is quite good.

Just watch where you buy it, and what price you pay.  I have seen it listed for prices ranging from $50 to $150 on various on-line websites.

Once you have the antenna you will need to make sure you have the correct coax pigtail to connect it to your Sierra card.  Make sure you purchase the correct one to go with your Sierra AirCard.

When you get to your camping location, you will need to aim the antenna at the nearest accessible cell tower.  You can find where this tower is on the following website:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

These antennas are directional.  This is what gives them their ability to pull in weak cellular signals.  So, aiming them at the tower you wish to use is important.

Good luck with this.

skinorth

View solution in original post

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you SkiNorth!

I'll provide my feedback on my experience after our trip.