Recently Moved...Do I need to get my Phone Number changed?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Recently Moved...Do I need to get my Phone Number changed?

I looked around for a topic like this using different search terms and found nothing but how to move from Blackberry to iPhone, etc so hence my posting this.  Please forgive me if there actually is a topic about this.

I recently moved from London (ON) to Windsor (ON). I got my wireless number from Rogers in the London area. Before moving to Windsor an associate at Rogers said I'd have to buy a new SIM card/number in order to not get charged long distance costs if I call anyone in Windsor while in the Windsor area. Is this true? Do I need to change my number (I've had it for about 6 years) or can I continue without needing to change. I mean I know that when I called a cab company for example in Windsor I was not charged for any cost (I also have 400 weekday minutes). So like I said, should I be changing phone numbers, or am I perfectly fine to stick with the number I've had for so long? 

Hope to hear from someone to figure this out,

Thanks!

Revan462

******* Edit labels ********

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Recently Moved...Do I need to get my Phone Number changed?

Your SIM card contains your cell phone number.  It ties your phone number and your current phone model to your cell carrier.  If you move, your SIM card maintains your current information, including your existing phone number.  For that reason, any call made outside of your previous city's area code will incur long distance charges.  You would need to get a new SIM card to avoid this.  Luckily, Rogers will exchange it for free (to the best of my knowledge).

You should do that ASAP.  🙂

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Would that still be the case when even after the move, my area code still is 519 as it was in London? Though a call from here to London is considered long-distance. So I just was curious about that factor, and if it still means I should switch. Let me know if you can.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Oh, they're both 519 area codes?  That will change things but only slightly.  Long distance charges might not apply but roaming charges very well might. 

Calling Rogers would be the best bet for this because they would know if roaming would apply or not.  If not, you should be alright to keep your number without being charged extra for calls to either city.

I hope I've been helpful to you.  🙂

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Thanks 🙂 It does charge me long distance charges to call from Windsor to London (it's 2 hours drive away and if called from Home Phone it's long distance too). But yeah I'll contact Rogers just in case.  Thanks again Bill.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just changed my number, and was told that whatever area I was in was 'local' for making calls... for example, if I have a Toronto number, but am in Montreal, then Montreal becomes local to me. HOWEVER, people calling me would cause me long distance charges, even if both of us were in Montreal.

Basically: making calls - your physical area at the time is your local area

recieving calls - local to your 'home' or phone number area, not your physical area

Hope this helps Smiley Happy