Recent Update Caused "Black Flashes" in Picture

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Recent Update Caused "Black Flashes" in Picture

Hi,

On Friday evening an update was pushed out to our NextBoxes. For one of them, this led to black flashes on the screen occuring every few minutes, which is really annoying to say the least.

The next morning we called Rogers and set up an appointment for a service guy to come by on Sunday. The update did fix another problem we were having with that unit (audio dropouts), but then seemed to cause the same audio dropout problem on our other NextBox where the problem did not exist before.

When the service guy arrived we explained the situation. He immediately decided to go down to the basement and check the signal strength. He did not look at our TVs before hand to see the problem first hand. After checking the signal, he said it was fine but decide to cut the cable anyway and replace it because he said it "looked old" (we only just switched to Rogers from Bell not even a year ago, why would it be old?).

This did not fix the problem. Now he decided to actually look at the TV. He agreed that there is a repeating black flash. We explained that we think the update on Friday screwed something up as the problem didn't happen until after the update applied. He wouldn't listen and gave us several stupid possible explanations instead:

- "I noticed when you walked in that your TV shook a bit. It isn't mounted. That's your problem" ... it isn't mounted because it is on a stand. And I'm sitting when I'm watching TV, not jogging in place, so no that isn't the problem

- "You don't have a proper HDMI cable. You need a straight one" ...I'm using an HDMI-DVI cable with an adapter. Was never a problem before. But to test his theory, I tried out the HDMI cable from my Xbox 360 which is "normal". And the problem still persisted.

- To this discovery he responded, "You need a better cable. One of those expensive ones".

- And finally he came to the conclusion that essentially we're all just crazy and that what we're seeing are "the cuts between commercials" ...even though it occurs while on the guide and system menus as well.

He was done with that. Did nothing else about it. Before leaving, we asked if he could sync up our remote for our SD box with its accompanying TV. They were in sync when it was first installed, but over time it got out of sync. And now we use two remotes. We've tried all the codes for the TV that were in the booklet, and tried looking one up online. So, we thought he might do something. He said "it was too much work" and didn't bother. And then he left.

The sound issue with the other NextBox seems to be fixed now though. He replaced some other cable that he sad was really old the connector had receeded (again we haven't even been with Rogers for a year yet. Why is everything old?)

My plan now is just to take the NextBox to a local Rogers store and have it replaced

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Recent Update Caused "Black Flashes" in Picture

It could be a botched box, not a bad idea to switch it.

The FIRST thing he did.. was actualy right. Normaly when you get what you experienced, is usualy a signal issue, so for him to check it, was right.

Now with the replacing cable part... is this a NEW house or an older pre-exisitng one?  The cables there could be as old as the house, so therefore yes possibly needing replacement.  But obviously that was not the issue in this case.

I'm Here A Lot

For the first thing, I just thought it was strange that from the door step where I described the problem the very first thing he did was go downstairs rather than go to the TV and want to see it first hand rather than go by my word. If that's the correct way of doing it, that's fine. Just struck me as odd.

We've been in this house about 25 years. Never had Rogers before. We have had Shaw in the past, and more recently Bell. But, yes it did turn out the cables were "as old as the house". I always assumed that when we would have any of these installed that they would use new ones. But, guess not.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Naw, by default, they will leave the ones from the road to the house.. UNLESS they need to be replaced.. as this costs ALOT, sometimes drilling, etc to get them burried, etc.

It gets worse when inside the house, when the house was built.  Rogers, for liability, cant do anything with these, then cant pull new ones, unless they are damaged, etc Smiley Sad 

When it was first installed, if the signal strength was OK, there would be no need for them to re-do anything.  That was the case at my house.. was fine when i moved in... but then went to the new guide on the 8642, etc.. which is more sensitive to lower signals.. and then they had to come out.

I am currently waiting on a temp line from the street to be burried, they had to run a new one to the house for me.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Suddenly and unexpectedly after posting this earlier this morning my NextBox proceeded to update itself again. Upon completion, the black flashing appears to have stopped.

So, that's good. No need to exchange it and remake all the PVR timers. I'll give it a week to see if the problem resurfaces, but optimistic.

Looks like it was due to Friday's update, as I explained, and not my HDMI cable or my walking or commercials.
I've Been Around

i am having the same issue with my secondary nextbox 4642HD.  It will black out the srcreen every couple minutes, picture, sound and all.

I have rebooted the box and i does not appear to have fixed it so far.  I have only had the boxes for less than a week.

Is there anyway to force a new software onto it?  if that's the issue anyways.

I've Been Around

I just replaced my NextBox due to other problems that I was having with the PVR function. The new box seems to work better, but now I have this Black Flickering problem. Would really like to not have to switch the box again (on my 4th since September).

Anyone find a solution?

Rick

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best things for this, is reboot the box, or get a tech out to test the signal (as it can cause the flashes)