northy
I Plan to Stick Around

ok Rogers,, times up,, where the . is this update,,, losing faith here,,

***edited labels***

241 REPLIES 241

Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

kornakmf
I've Been Here Awhile

I had a unlocked Vibrant and it bricked itself a day after installing Froyo.  Had to take it back to Bell and am still waiting to get it back.  It has been 4 weeks.

Anyways, after I upgraded, many of my purchased apps no longer came up when I searched for them.   

Are you able to get at your purchased apps in the app store?

Now I have a captivate and am hoping to do the upgrade.

Can you do me a favor and go into the app store and search for "SlingPlayer".

Does the app store return SingPlayer Mobile?

Another app that I was missing was GolfShot.

Thanks

Derrick
I've Been Here Awhile

@Maniccupcake wrote:

for the life of me I cannot get my phone to connecto Kies. I'm ready to throw my phone across the room 😞

I have the latest version of Kies..tried debugging mode and download mode 😞

You need to have version 1.5.3

Derrick
I've Been Here Awhile

I thought I bricked my phone after I updated. I was stuck on the galaxy s screen and then it would go black. I was reading about how to fix it and someone said they had to send their phone away for 6 weeks to samsung for them to fix it. Thankfully when I was on the phone to rogers I found that you just have to delete the user data in the boot menu and it was good to go. My battery life is amazing now. I would sometimes have to charge this phone 3 times a day. Yesterday it went from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm. They should have shipped this phone with 2.2. Also there is no time stamp issue with the text message anymore. 2.2 has turned this phone into something awesome.

how do I get that version?

Derrick
I've Been Here Awhile

@Maniccupcake wrote:
how do I get that version?

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-I896ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetype...

Make sure to delete the 2.0 version from your computer first.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Not every USB cable will work with Kies.   You need to have the Samsung USB cable that came with your phone.

PeterC
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey all,

I've notice after update to 2.2 with Kies my phone seems to be slower. Swiping across home screen screens is slower and the animation isn't as smooth. Transitioning to the applicaiton menu and swiping through the list is slow choppy. I even noticed the game Alchemy was laggy. Especially when there was a lot of things onscreen. This never happened when I had 2.1.

When I first got my phone everything was buttery smooth and 2.2 seem to ruin all of that. Is there any way to get it back to 2.1 without resorting to warrently voiding methods? Will Rogers be able to do it for me?

Also, Flash is worthless. It's choppy and unusable.

mkhan34
I've Been Around

Everything seems to be running fine on froyo, but I can't seem to put any files on the internal SD card. I keep getting a "parameter is incorrect" error. I've formatted the internal card through the settings and through the recovery mode (vol up down and power). It always stops adding files after 2.2 gb of the 13 gb is full, and on windows if i try to format it, windows gives a 2.19 gb option for the space. Any ideas/fixes for this?

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

For those of you who haven't upgraded I'd wait. Don't upgrade to kies 2.0 as the Captivate is not supported yet. I spoke to Samsung support who told me that the techies are working on fixing 2.0. Also, when I asked about my non functioning SWYPE keyboard application problem:

1) Can't select SWYPE - phone starts vibrating

2) All options on SWYPE application options are checked off and the screen is frozen no up down and you cant uncheck any boxes the phone just vibrates.

the customer support person said she couldn't do anything for me except give me a work order # to take to a Roger's store and to bring my phone in to get it serviced.

She also told me NOT to to a factory reset as Zizo0727 recommended as it may currupt the phone.

I was wondering if deleteing the user data in boot menu is different than factory reset and if that would fix the problem?

What does deleting the user data delete?

rdubzstc
I've Been Around

So far mines been a success.  I saw this forum yesterday, and I've been chasing a froyo upgrade for about 3 weeks.  Decided to go for it yesterday.  I did originally have problems w/ cables and my x64 win7 machine seeing the phone, but after switching a few cables I got it working.  Upgrade went smooth as can be.

Rogers screen does appear for about a split second before the galaxys logo comes up.

Its smoother than before, and I had previously rooted, and lagfixed my 2.1 galaxy.  That phone went back for random shut downs.  This phone's been great, but I wanted the voice features that 2.2 brings to the table.

I've tried swype settings, no issues there.  I've rebooted.  I did not have to clear any data when rebooted into 2.2.   I haven't tried the gallery yet.  But battery life is definitely better than 2.1.

I use my phone extensively... so I'll keep you all posted as to how its going 😄

rykev
I've Been Here Awhile

I took a chance & downloaded 1.5.3 from one of those file sharing websites - can't remember which one though. With 1.5.3 I can finally 'see' my phone. However, I am still on the fence on whether I should upgrade now or wait for the official Rogers release. Seems like it's a bit of a hit & miss with all the problems.

For all those that had a problem-free upgrade, did you take any special steps/precautions, e.g. clean-off all the user data, or disable SWYPE, or reset your phone, etc. prior to upgrade? TIA for input you can provide.

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

I updated to Froyo without resetting anything. Everything works for me.

Swype's spell check in the browser doesn't seem to work when you double-tap it anymore. Although pressing the swype key when you put the cursor on a word it works.

Wonder what will change with the official update vs this one?

still not working :*(

also i keep reading about tw launcher needing to be used. WTF is that? I've only had my phone for a month, and I left the box the phone came in on the roof of my car so I lost everything. If its in the software that was in the box I don't have it.

edit: Finally got it working.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

like i have said no issues with the 2.2 update,, actually makes the phone more useable,,,

delete your old kies,, goto samsung,, install kies dated jan 6th,, i had to use xp to do update for whatever reason, wouldnt work for me on win7 64bit,,,

just do it,,, you will like it,,

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What exactly is not working?   You have the Kies 1.53 version, and the original USB cable plugged in?

Wheh you do that, on the phone, you are asked to press the button that says connect to Kies AND you have to shut off the bluetooth...

Do you get to that point?

robertz
I Plan to Stick Around

I upgraded to 2.2, but my phone was booting very slowly and didn't run that well.

So I did a "clean install" of 2.2 and it works fine.

I'd suggest doing the clean install.  Just get a program to backup your apps and settings and then restore them after the install.  It's pretty quick and painless.

zecstone13
I Plan to Stick Around

How did you redo a "clean install"

@PeterC wrote:

Hey all,

I've notice after update to 2.2 with Kies my phone seems to be slower. Swiping across home screen screens is slower and the animation isn't as smooth. Transitioning to the applicaiton menu and swiping through the list is slow choppy. I even noticed the game Alchemy was laggy. Especially when there was a lot of things onscreen. This never happened when I had 2.1.

When I first got my phone everything was buttery smooth and 2.2 seem to ruin all of that. Is there any way to get it back to 2.1 without resorting to warrently voiding methods? Will Rogers be able to do it for me?

Also, Flash is worthless. It's choppy and unusable.

That happenned to me too. I even thought about trying to downgrade to 2.1 (which I haven't found out how to do :).

But then when I decided to wipe out all the user data using the following steps, everything became fast again (even faster than 2.1). I advise you to do the same:

PLEASE NOTE, THIS WILL WIPE OUT EVERYTHING (CONFIG, CONTACT, USE DATA) FROM THE PHONE AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TO FACTORY DEFAULT. PLEASE BACKUP ANY DATA YOU FIND ESSENTIAL BEFORE PROCEEDING

1) Backup your data contact list, SMS messages if needed using Google Sync or Backup utility (or any other utilities of your choice)

2) Power off the phone by holding the Power button and choose Power Off from the popup menu

3) When the phone is off, hold down both volume up and volume down button then hold the power button until the screen is turn on, release the buttons. The display should show a multicolor screen with a menu in which you can choose to wipe user data and cache data.

4) Wipe both user data and cache then restart the phone by choosing reboot.

Now your phone will reboot with the factory default for Froyo 2.2.

Reinstall all your apps and restore your backup data and everything should run smoothly afterward.

Androidfann
I'm Here A Lot

PeterC
I've Been Here Awhile

@psyfactor wrote:

That happenned to me too. I even thought about trying to downgrade to 2.1 (which I haven't found out how to do :).

But then when I decided to wipe out all the user data using the following steps, everything became fast again (even faster than 2.1). I advise you to do the same:

PLEASE NOTE, THIS WILL WIPE OUT EVERYTHING (CONFIG, CONTACT, USE DATA) FROM THE PHONE AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TO FACTORY DEFAULT. PLEASE BACKUP ANY DATA YOU FIND ESSENTIAL BEFORE PROCEEDING

1) Backup your data contact list, SMS messages if needed using Google Sync or Backup utility (or any other utilities of your choice)

2) Power off the phone by holding the Power button and choose Power Off from the popup menu

3) When the phone is off, hold down both volume up and volume down button then hold the power button until the screen is turn on, release the buttons. The display should show a multicolor screen with a menu in which you can choose to wipe user data and cache data.

4) Wipe both user data and cache then restart the phone by choosing reboot.

Now your phone will reboot with the factory default for Froyo 2.2.

Reinstall all your apps and restore your backup data and everything should run smoothly afterward.

I had already tried that. It's strange, the Froyo update seemed to have made the screen and UI less responsive and all animations/transitions choppy.

Even though the update isn't supported by Rogers, does anyone know if they have any sort of service that will reflash my phone to the stock 2.1 it came with when I first bough it?

Dennishwc
I'm Here A Lot

Ok so my captivate is starting to act up. Ive noticed that in addition to the google location service not working at all, when i transfer files to my sd card, im getting a 0x80070057 error saying the parameters are incorrect. Ive formated the internal sd card twice (didnt work) and tried clearing all user data (didnt work). Anyone have any ideas?