Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dennishwc
I'm Here A Lot

Ok so both of things did absolutely NOTHING! back to square one! sorry guys

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

This talk of an official 2.2 from Rogers is confusing. Are they posting another update soon? Or what was released last week the official?

I connected to Kies today and JL1 is the latest and greatest still.

Either way 2.2 is working very well for me and I haven't cleared any data from 2.1

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

Factory Reset worked for me but it takes some time to put back your APPS, REARRANGE Screens/ reselect your screen saver etc but it is no biggie! SWYPE now works and I find the phone is snappier.

Thanks for all who helped !!!! 

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

@Dennishwc

The data location services problem started occuring when Maps 4.7 came out around November 14-16.  Data location services didn't work until around December 16ish when Maps 5.0 came out.  Since then, it's on and off but is not 100% working.  It worked really well for a couple days 2 weeks ago though.  And at the current moment.  It does not detect where I am located at all. 

For others, this is not the GPS issue that is found on the Galaxy S's.  It is a data location service issue only in Ontario and Quebec on Rogers.

Dennishwc
I'm Here A Lot

@madballs

Thanks a lot for the info. I heard that there was a problem but i wasnt too sure if i was like one of the few that still had it. Hopefully they will get it all sorted out soon.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

piprapper, Great news to hear of your success!  Now tell me, do you find that the application page doesn't always swipe smoothly?  In fact if you swipe more than 2 pages it gets choppy.  Same with the home screen. if you swipe multiple screens there, does it get choppy?  Finally, do you notice that the "download manager" takes 50% of your CPU?  Or even the "Gallery" task?  does your browser lag? mine does.

As a joke, Remember when we asked you to do a factory reset?  A bunch of us mentioned it but you wouldn't do it!  Your problems could have been solved from day one my friend.  I am just kidding.  But glad you are amongst the 2.2 users now.  Play around with your phone and let us know how you find the performance,  I personally don't find 2.2 to be 2 to 5 times faster as Google claim with their JIT compiler enabled.  I wouldn't mind switching back to 2.1 to compare, but haven't found a good way to do it yet.

Tid bit: For all you new 2.2 users, I dare you to pinch the home screen, there is a nice surprise there that I absolutely love.

Now that this is "official", let's never forget how sleazy Rogers were.  Samsung releases it on Kies Jan 6, Rogers respond Jan 11.  Those five days in between you couldn't even talk to Rogers, they shut you down instantly claiming unofficial load.

Once again congrats.

Cram
I'm Here A Lot

Went ahead with the update.

Had some issue with Kies that apparently required me to turn off LauncherPro for some reason.

Did a full cache/user data clear too.

Runs alright. Boot time on mine, unlike most others it seems, is actually a lot faster. Maybe something was messed up with my settings when I had 2.1, because it's literally 50% faster boot.  25 seconds including the media scanner (I have 10gb of stuff on the phone it has to scan, so that's **bleep** fast).

Some minor issues:

1) The keyboard, it appears they moved the space bar button a little bit to the left as well as the period button. Now I'm constantly hitting the period button with my thumb when trying to hit space. Pretty annoying. Anyone recommend a good keyboard app?

2) Advanced Task-Killer no longer kills the Music Player. I had the widget on my homescreen which I often used to immediately turn off, among other things, the music player. It was very handy, and despite many peoples objections of task-killer programs, the conveinience of insta-kill is **bleep** conveinient lol.

3) Tactile vibration (when typing for example) seems a lot less powerful despite being on max level. A minor issue, but noticable compared to how it was on 2.1

4) GPS is just as slow or non-functional as before, I am among the few that have a phone that appears to be GPS deprived.

5) The notification bar method of altering screen brightness seems broken. In 2.1 it was silky smooth. In 2.2, it seems to only work some of the time and is pretty rough. It was a conveinient way of quickly altering screen brightness.

6) This one is my most major issue: I seem to have lost the ability to reorganize my contacts into groups? Did they take that away for some reason? With gmail / facebook / twitter / skype all syncing contacts, I have like 1000 of them. In 2.1, I had about 25 of the important ones in groups which made things way simpler. Groups seems to have disappeared and I am not happy.

psyfactor
I'm Here A Lot

@Cram wrote:

Some minor issues:

1) The keyboard, it appears they moved the space bar button a little bit to the left as well as the period button. Now I'm constantly hitting the period button with my thumb when trying to hit space. Pretty annoying. Anyone recommend a good keyboard app?

2) Advanced Task-Killer no longer kills the Music Player. I had the widget on my homescreen which I often used to immediately turn off, among other things, the music player. It was very handy, and despite many peoples objections of task-killer programs, the conveinience of insta-kill is **bleep** conveinient lol.

1) For the keyboard, search for "Renamed GingerBread keyboard" on XDA forum and install it on the phone. Or try the one in the market under the name of  Keyboard from Gingerbread (Steven Lin). The one from XDA works perfectly with the QWERTY layout for canadian french if you use that, it seems that the one from the market user AZERTY for canadian french (not sure if it's already fixed). The keyboard is way better than the stock Samsung. Worth a try.

2) Froyo changes the way the task is killed so task killers are useless now. You have to leave with it.

3) Vibration is weaker that 2.1 but I think it's by design (maybe to save some juice???) After a few days, I don't notice that anymore 🙂

Cool things I found valuable in this update:

- Unread  message & email count on icons

- 3G data network now can be disabled via power off menu

- Password lock screen

- Voice dialer via Bluetooth (quality of the app is not top notch but better than nothing in 2.1)

Things which still bug me:

- Battery life seems weaker, I'll try out a few other things to make sure of this

- Battery usage screen doesn't show as much details as it did in 2.1

Cram
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info Psyfactor, I will give the keyboard a shot.

One improvement I do appreciate, so far, besides flash and skype is that my phone actually dials quickly.

In 2.1, I would enter a number to call and hit the dial button. It would sometimes take 5-10 seconds to actually get the dialer to show it was trying to dial and hear a dial tone. At times, the person on the other end actually picked up the phone before the Dialer showed it was trying to dial. They on the other end would hang up because it was like no one was there.

Now it's fairly instant. I hope it stays that way. I just really hope I don't wake up tomorrow, or next week, with a melted Internal SD card.

sjcundy
I've Been Around

I am also having the internal sd card issue after the 2.2 update.  I am so unimpressed.  A factory reset (using any method such as phone settings, special power on key press, or dialer code) does not resolve the issue.  I was running the stock/unrooted 2.1 rogers firmware and updated via kies to 2.2.    After the update the internal memory cards is only listed as 2.19gb in Windows or 2.4 in linux.  The partition only shows the 2gb capacity.

I have done a lot of reading over the past several days and there seems to be a lot of this issue with 2.2 roms.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that will actually fix this issue. 

Some are reporting (like here) if you connect in Kies or Media mode you can access the full file system but I mainly use linux and this really doesn't work for me.  

I tried calling support but got nowhere.  Formatting the sdcard and resetting the phone aren't enough to fix this issue.  I will likely spend most of tomorrow trying to reach support again but I am really not that hopeful anybody has a fix for this.  I may have to figure out how to flash back to 2.1 until this is resolved.

If anybody has a fix or knows if Samsung or Rogers has a solution please pass it along.