Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeDroid068
I'm Here A Lot

I agree with northy, my phone is running spectacularly well with Froyo. Mind you when I first upgraded the start up was slow and it would vibrate a lot on start up, but I did a factory reset then everything ran perfect. The start up is still longer than with 2.1, but not by much and who really cares. The phone runs fast, has flash, many of the apps are updated and even more useful, and best of all in my opinion the battery lasts twice as long (maybe even more). I did notice that one of my apps when I close it causes the phone to vibrate 3 times, but I think this is due to the app not being upgraded for 2.2 rather than the other way around. Either way, I am very pleased regardless.

MikeDroid068
I'm Here A Lot

piperapper I don't know if this is your issue with the clock, but in 2.2 they changed the off button from a push button to a swipe off. So to snooze or turn off you either swipe the white or red tag respectively. Hope this solves your problem.

Holmes108
I Plan to Stick Around

I just wanted to add that Froyo was a hot mess on my phone at first too... it reset all of my homescreens, but had kept all my apps installed (which I thought was good) but whenever I tried running any apps, 75% of the time they would force close, I would get random phone vibrations, and constantly had to reboot due to lockups.

But going into the recovery screen (Vol- / Vol+ then hit power) and choosing to wipe user data and cache fixed it all up. It obviously cleared everything, so I had to reinstall all my apps, but Froyo has been running fine since then.

Gameboi
I've Been Around

i tried updating my self over the weekend but  Kies didn't detect my phone properly, so i went over to my buddies place and he did it for me. The issui  that cause my Kies not to detect my Samsung was a software that was still running behind in my phone ( mine was ADW.Launcher). I had to end up uninstalling it to actually makesure the thing to stop running. Not sure if this well help any of you but make sure you have all the application turned off.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

2nd to  

Un-like  Apple ,   Android  OS openness  may allow  unstable or un-test  software make  available to  your phone.

I suspect  some of these software  may  over-write or conflict with  OS  essential function.

My suggestion, be very selective when install new  software to your phone,  and do it 1-by-1... at least this may help diagnose when your phone start conflicting or acting-up.

Good luck people 🙂

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

@fotomickey

Ya, the location services issue seems to only affect people in the Ontario/Quebec region that has Android 2.2 on Rogers. This is the strangest thing ever. Stopped working all of a sudden for close to two months now and it still has not been fixed.

EDIT:  The only thing I don't like about the Captivate is it is missing a forward facing camera.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

@ madballs

Sorry to hear that Ont/QB area had  "Location" problem,  hope  Roger can put their act together quickly.

Cause  thats  very poor  PR  to  East-coast  customers.

likiud
I've Been Around

Can anyone tell me if there are still any issues installing Froyo? I found this link on the Rogers website. http://www.rogers.com/cms/images/en/Wireless/CellPhoneDetail/Support/Froyo_upgrade_instruction_RWC_I...

Based on this, I believe the upgrade is official?

I found the link on the Samsung Captivate Product page under the support tab here

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&productId_...

Although its on the Rogers site, it doesn't seem to appear on the Samsung Canada page here

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/froyo/English/

Any ideas?

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around

It seems that's "official" procedure finally from Rogers.  I have connected to Kies and it is saying I got the latest firmware already (I have updated to 2.2 via Kies a few days ago).  I talked to a Rogers rep and at first he said it is suppose to come tomorrow and he seemed surprised when I point him to the page.

So who knows there might a another one tomorrow... I am hoping for 2.2.1 but that may be too much....

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

MikeDroid068 - Thanks I'll try that in the morning! It was 5 am and I did notice the buttons looked different.

What is the difference between restoring phone  using the SETTINGS - Privacy/Factory Data Reset or

Vlol -+ key plus power. I see 2.2 gives you this option. Is there a fiiference. I went in to the older version of Kies 1.5.3 and it recognized the phone right away with 2.2 and then backed up

1) Contacts 2) Media files 3) Photos

I see in Settings/Privacy there is an option to backup/ sync. Both were checked off on the phone and Kies started backing up automatically.

Just wondering if factory reset is the same as the Vol +/- and power. When you choose factory data reset on the phone it tells you all data from phone/ your INTERNAL SD card will be wiped out including your  Google account/ system and application data and settings as well as downloaded applications  will be wiped out

Current system software/ and bundled applications as well as EXTERNAL SD files will NOT be erased.